• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Individual Placement and Support (ISP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RussellSue

Not Active
I am curious if anyone here has received ISP supported employment services and if so, were they helpful? Also, if so, would you mind sharing a bit about the experience?

I am familiar with supportive employment services concept for individuals with disabilities and I've done OJT with a variety of individuals....but this was some time ago. How it has evolved may be different today. I think supportive employment can be helpful for getting into the workforce, and understanding job stressors, and when you can recognize issues and deal with them before they become a crisis......it can be super helpful.

I was in supported employment in my early 20s at 2 jobs that were designed as supported employment positions. ISP, however, is designed to put people into competitive employment with supports. Since I have an education, now, this seems like the better outcome. Unfortunately, many of the obvious options for the education I do have are self-employment options which I feel are bad ideas. My last job was a competitive employment situation but I was allowed my headphones and within a few weeks I was comfortable enough to do my job without too much freaking out.
Anyway, I am looking into the ISP option even though I never expected to need supported employment again. I may not need it once I am stabilized, again, but I have never been against looking into things.

Do you have any "Ability One" programs near you? Non-profits placing people with disabilities into government contracts.
I think you may have just put a piece of a large puzzle in place for me. Yes, we do have one, but I didn't know that's what it was until I just did some research on Ability One and discovered that the confusing information I had about one of the local hospitals was actually N.M.'s 3rd District Ability One program or a provider, whichever. Now that I know, I might get somewhere with that resource. I had simply been told that there were caseworkers at the hospital who could help with job searches, but their website has no information at all. Now, I understand what is going on and I feel this could be very helpful.

THANK YOU!

You're welcome.

Have you ever used a temp. service? They come in handy to supplement income between jobs.

Best of luck to you!
I have not used a temp service before. I wouldn't try it now because I am too unstable and I really must get something solid under me or I'm going to continue to flounder. I think I would do very well in a government job because I thrive in structured environments. Thankfully, my husband is keeping us afloat and would rather see make me the right move than another right-now move.

I was able to leave a message for the closest Ability One provider. Hopefully, that will be useful.

Thanks again!

I was in supported employment in my early 20s at 2 jobs that were designed as supported employment positions. ISP, however, is designed to put people into competitive employment with supports. Since I have an education, now, this seems like the better outcome. Unfortunately, many of the obvious options for the education I do have are self-employment options which I feel are bad ideas. My last job was a competitive employment situation but I was allowed my headphones and within a few weeks I was comfortable enough to do my job without too much freaking out.
Anyway, I am looking into the ISP option even though I never expected to need supported employment again. I may not need it once I am stabilized, again, but I have never been against looking into things.
We have Dept. of Rehabilitative Services here in the States and I've gotten resources through them (funding for education at one time). They would know who might be a best fit and what available services are in your area.

We have Dept. of Rehabilitative Services here in the States and I've gotten resources through them (funding for education at one time). They would know who might be a best fit and what available services are in your area.
You would think so. My counselor didn't know what I was talking about. He's looking into it.

Is this for Veterans only or something?

Is this for Veterans only or something?
Nope. It’s just called different things in different states.

In one state it’s DSHS - Dept of Vocational Rehab... in another it’s DHS Dept. Of Voc & Rehab services... or IDHS Dept. of Rehabilitation Services... or NYSED ACCES-VR... Or DARS dept of adult rehabilitate services... or, or, or.

Google your state name + Dept. of rehabilitative services // or state name + vocational, etc. to find out the specific name for those programs in your state.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back