• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

ADHD Is adhd really ptsd in disguise?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe there is overlap, like in a Venn diagram; they can coexist AND the symptoms may appear almost identical, but to say ADD should 'disappear' and be replaced with a diagnosis of PTSD is irresponsible.

Definitely not "all". I know some kids diagnosed with ADHD whom I know are perfectly happy and functional. Absolutely no indicator of any type of trauma. However, they are just hyper and distracted. So definitely not all.

However, is there a percentage of them (possibly a large percentage...) misdiagnosed as ADHD either to hide behavior problems stemming from abuse or just out of a mistake (maybe teacher pressure to get them on meds)? Most definitely.

I was diagnosed as ADHD as a kid. But I think the person/people who diagnosed me (I honestly don't remember anything about the process at the time thanks to trauma...) was stupid or something. They did not see the obvious signs of child abuse in my attitude and activities. Yet if I know even a tiny bit about a family's history (seeing parents yelling excessively, etc...), I can tell whether a kid's actions are probably from his/her upbringing. I know where the line is often in these kids and its often really obvious. Those that diagnosed me did not recognize the underlying issues. Does this happen a lot? I bet it does. I think every child evaluated for ADHD should also be evaluated for abusive situations. They might possibly catch a few more cases.

Do you have the speakers name. I have been diagnosed with both. I do know that when they put me on meds for the adhd I got a lot calmer and more focused. as child I was diagnosed with both my mother decided that I didn't need treated that I would grow out of them. It didn't happen. I know for a fact that the traumatic events came first. If you could get the name it would great. If you can't no big deal. Interesting topic.
Peace

this is an interesting discussion

I am trying to get evaluated for ADHD but there is a lot of overlap with PTSD so not sure what will happen.

I don't think ADHD and PTSD are the same thing at all though. As far as I'm aware, the stimulants prescribed for ADHD would only calm someone down if they had ADHD...if they had PTSD only, then the stimulants would just be stimulating? (forgive me, that's not really the word I'm looking for but I can't find the right words lately)

And then people can have both ADHD & PTSD as a dual diagnosis, so the stimulants would help the ADHD part, but might or might not exarcebate the PTSD side?

ugh...hope that makes some sort of sense

Then we have the flipside to this, being people without any attention deficit issues whatsoever, are affected by trauma and get PTSD, then they inherit attention deficits by proxy of a symptom of PTSD. I think people focus too much on the attention deficit part at times, and skip the hyperactivity aspect of ADHD with PTSD. PTSD, a person goes the other way, to isolation, seclusion and paranoia, not hyperactivity. Hyperawareness, is different from hyperactivity.

Very interesting discussion though. Nice topic Lucy.

Yes, I have both, and it's hard. I'm on an antidepressant (Wellbutrin) that mildly helps with ADHD, yet it makes my PTSD worse because of the mildly stimulating effect. I can't handle a full-on stimulant. I wouldn't be able to function because my anxiety would go through the roof.

Anthony, our posts crossed, but I have to say, I definitely agree. I think that's the best way to really tell them apart. My inattention could easily be written off as part of PTSD, but my hyperactivity and energy are definitely ADHD. Which is why I am diagnosed with both.

Then we get the inattentive subtype of ADHD which used to just be called Inattentive ADD and which a lot of girls/women get. And apparently a lot of adults with ADHD don't display a lot of the hyperactivity aspects of the condition even when they did in childhood. The lack of hyperactivity symptoms is apparently why so many young girls don't get properly diagnosed.

Abstract, the people who diagnosed me missed all the inattentive signs and only caught the hyperactivity. So they diagnosed me with hyperactive-subtype. Looking back, I can tell I was so inattentive, yet they didn't see it. I was also told I would grow out of it and not to worry about it. So I never got any help, medication, or therapy for it. I was basically told to fend for myself. It makes me wonder how much my father paid them to do nothing and to not interfere (or how much he didn't pay them...).

The big issue with girls and ADHD is that they look different than the stereotypical ADHD boy. Girls act differently (go figure!) and so aren't identified or treated nearly as often. I think they are getting better at detecting girls, but 10 years ago when I was diagnosed, they knew much less than they know now about it.

Girl 91, yes that fits in with what I know. And for those who really do not have the hyperactivity aspect of the condition they have even less chance of being identified. They are the "dreamers" sitting in the corner of the classroom not the fidgety ones running around the classroom causing havoc.

I actually think the opposite of Anthony in a way. That in general people seem to be much less aware of the inattentive aspect of the condition and much more aware of the hyperactivity..

I don't know that he was saying that inattentive-type was more common. I think his point was that the inattentive-type could be attributed to PTSD rather than its correct diagnosis of ADHD. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but that was my understanding.)

He can correct us I am sure! ;) I saw it as him saying that he thought people focus more on the inattentive aspect of ADHD and not enough on the hyperactive aspect of it. I am saying the opposite. I don't see either of us as saying one type is less or more common.

I do think Anthony possibly meant us here with PTSD though rather than the population in general (the latter is what I was referring to).

For myself I do wonder if I have ADD so conversation about how to separate the overlap is helpful to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back