• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Poll Is PTSD Preventable?

Do you believe PTSD is preventable if forced into counselling after trauma?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oops, I misread the question and ticked 'yes' when I should have ticked 'no'. No doubt that the right measures and help at the right time would prevent ptsd, but as far as forcing someone, I feel that would surely scar most people deeper and make recovery harder long-term. But with others e.g. if their nature is to keep things in, it could be wise to make them go into counselling, but it all depends on how that is done, if it is done sensitively and with plenty of respect for the individual.

Cat

Cat, do you think trauma therapy can be approached with sensitivity? I don't, but that is me from seeing some of the best in action with myself. But I am curious what you think in regard to this.

anthony said:
Cat, do you think trauma therapy can be approached with sensitivity? I don't, but that is me from seeing some of the best in action with myself. But I am curious what you think in regard to this.

Hi Anthony, I honestly don't know, as I haven't experienced trauma therapy (yet) and haven't had positive experiences re therapy apart from a lot of years ago and this week! Did a lot of years of carework, but all I can refer back to in answering you is that all that was in my mind was either myself being sensitive in handling others or sometimes being handled sensitively, and how that sometimes was helpful to someone else or myself.

I just hope that trauma therapy is approached with sensitivity in every case. Unless you meant in relation to the question, in which case all I feel is that it's a very fine line regarding pushing someone. I suppose if they were someone very close and who you absolutely knew always kept things in and that this always damaged them, then very gentle encouragement towards therapy could really help them. I've just realised I probably had in mind the term 'encouragement' rather than 'push' when I was posting. I find it difficult to think in terms of pushing someone, as I never want to push anyone against what's right for them, or to risk interfering with their growth process. I suppose if someone has said to push them if they start to struggle and it becomes obvious they need help, I'd manage that, but that would only be if they had specifically said to do that.

Cat

Hmmm... fair enough, and well said. I think what your going to find though Cat, to be honest, is when you go through trauma therapy, it is not sensitive in the aspect of a counsellor allowing you to just naturally get things out yourself, because if we could do that, then why would be need to see a counsellor to begin with? Sufferers of PTSD are always fearful of the unknown within their own trauma, ie. if pushed, what will happen. The facts often are though, is that anyone with PTSD does need to be pushed at some point, to help themselves get past the trauma. If someone is willing to work away quite hard themselves, then they don't really need to be pushed... maybe just prodded in the right direction every now and then.

Yes, sensitivity is in their, but getting someone to rid themselves of trauma, is more often than not, a very one sided pushy event. It sounds scary, but it is the most beneficial thing any sufferer could ever do for themselves. It doesn't matter where you do it, and the methods vary, but definately the most beneficial.

anthony said:
I think what your going to find ... is ... it is not sensitive in the aspect of a counsellor allowing you to just naturally get things out yourself, because if we could do that, then why would be need to see a counsellor to begin with? Sufferers of PTSD are always fearful of the unknown within their own trauma, ie. if pushed, what will happen. The facts often are though, is that anyone with PTSD does need to be pushed at some point, to help themselves get past the trauma. If someone is willing to work away quite hard themselves, then they don't really need to be pushed... maybe just prodded in the right direction every now and then.

I understand what you're saying, especially about the fear of being pushed too far, too fast, or by the wrong therapist. Pushing through must be appropriate and really good when done correctly and with a trusted therapist. After fighting so long to find a sense of self, and without any natural communication long-term, I honestly would find it very hard if the therapy didn't also include the just naturally getting things out at least to some degree though ... but that's from my own personal circumstances, as the lack of connection/understanding with humans is painful, but also scary. And that's despite working very hard myself at healing for a long time! ... and realising there's probably no way into life but by having to engage with life, at first through therapy.

It really is a tough call when you have nobody else though, as having others must surely help balance any tough effects from therapy sessions, if only to just be able to forget about it all and have some fun or talk about different things! It's terrifying if you've had to keep yourself together, and must keep doing that after therapy sessions. But that maybe sounds a bit negative!? The knowledge of having the next therapy session 'there', and the space between to integrate, would most likely be a good help there though, as well as strengthening your own ability to detach and do other things.

But, yes, absolutely, being pushed in the right way by the right therapist is surely the bridge across to healing/integration. All I can think is that taking however long is needed to build trust and make sure the therapist is someone with heart and understanding is the top priority, and that if this goes okay, then pushing through can really work, as long as the empowerment/enabling/positive control side of things isn't taken away by a therapist being too in control/pushing too much. A very delicate balance I think regarding being pushed, but yes, it's helpful thinking about it, as it's clarified how important taking as much time as needed regarding trusting a therapist, and making sure that it's right, while also making sure that growth isn't being avoided!

Cat

That was so well said Cat... a very intuitive and balanced approach. I actually just really enjoyed reading your reply then... thank you. What you said, is exactly what I try to say most of the time I think. I hope that everyone who reads this thread, takes particular not of your reply, and they use that information to help heal themselves through a trusted professional, or means they feel comfortable with. Well done... giving you some reputation for that one.

I said "no"...it might lessen the effects maybe...but i think it also depends on the person to some extent...if someone took me to therapy when i was 7, 8, 9 yrs old, i think that that just would have freaked me out even more...

But then a friend pushed me to go see somenone about this when i told her about the nightmares...I wouldn't have even gone if this didn't start interfering with school work...I would've just kept it all in and thought that I could deal with it in my own...

anthony said:
That was so well said Cat... a very intuitive and balanced approach. I actually just really enjoyed reading your reply then... thank you. What you said, is exactly what I try to say most of the time I think. I hope that everyone who reads this thread, takes particular not of your reply, and they use that information to help heal themselves through a trusted professional, or means they feel comfortable with. Well done... giving you some reputation for that one.

Hi Anthony and thanks for your message. Glad it is helpful. Always good to have some good reputation going on too! Although I have to admit to finding it hard to read that someone has enjoyed reading a post in which I've really bared my soul about sheer isolation and having concerns about how to keep it together when therapy begins.

Force into therapy?!?

If you need to be forced, you will either

1) be scared of therapy itself at that time for whatever reason (symptoms may worsen as a result, as control is taken away, and combined with potential mistrust of counsellor with feelings of entrapment).
2) you will think you do not need it and most likely just so 'yes' and 'no' in the right places and get the hell out of there, mumbling something 'about treehugging hippies' on your way out the door.
3) not be in need of counselling at that time.

More seriously, couselling for some after 7/7 attacks in London was forced...shoddy counselling in which they were forced to relive and explain what happened over a few days before being left to continue alone (counselling recieved, box ticked, government placated) is estimated to have led to worsened symptoms or having created them in the first place in some victims.

carpediem2006 said:
More seriously, couselling for some after 7/7 attacks in London was forced...shoddy counselling in which they were forced to relive and explain what happened over a few days before being left to continue alone (counselling recieved, box ticked, government placated) is estimated to have led to worsened symptoms or having created them in the first place in some victims.

Now that is a bit of a concern. A few days is nothing to what these people need. More like a year or two of constant counselling to be rid of all the feelings and emotions that are stemming from the incident. Bloody governments...

In my case it could be prevented if I have had a family support or a therapist right after the traumatic event occurred. But I think my case is not so severe.

My answer is no.

For sure it certainly doesn't help in the case of longterm chronic traumas over many years.
And the person needs to be ready to enter treatment, and do so of their own free will. After all, trauma wasn't their choice. What's force going to do except maybe compound the trauma...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back