• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

I've finally cured myself of my ED (Eating Disorder)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, this is primarily for @Kubash16, to answer your question re my "curing" of eating disorder. Probably a bit hasty to use the term "curing", although my relationship to food, my body, my emotional states and my thinking processes have really come a long, long way in the many years that I've been battling/dealing with/trying to come into some kind of balance, with my eating habits.

There really is a lot to it, involving therapy, both group therapy and one on one, for the trauma, not primarily for the ED, lots of research, seft help books, arts in a kind of therapeutic applied way (I got so much out of this, I plan to study, formally, to become an Arts therapist), forming a healthy attachment and limiting my unhealthy familial ones, modifying my diet and most of all applying self compassion and understanding to myself and keeping on plugging away and chipping away at the maladaptive behaviours and thinking patterns.

I'm currently in a group program for childhood sexual abuse and I'm doing this ketosis-inducing diet to coincide with the course. It's challenging and gruelling, but I'm just so determined to transform myself after so much misery, and dysfunction, that I'm finding I'm able to be disciplined with my eating.

I think the addressing of the underlying emotional pain and cognitive distortions and relational issues is key, while seeing a dietitian would be addressing the symptoms rather than the causes.

I have found books and the internet provide plenty of dietary and nutritional info, so seeing a dietitian is not really necessary. I do plan on catching up with my GP to get some blood tests done eventually though.

I'm also taking Ashwaganda for "cognitive and adrenal support" and some keto supplements.

I did the " keto" and lost 10 lbs but I don't have much to lose. I need to get back on my treadmill. ( haven't yet.. Because I got burnt out) but will.
Congrats on finding a diet that works for u! That's* marvelous! A good friend friend of mine's son went from 397 to 232 on Keto. The important thing Keto taught me was that I obviously wasn't eating enough protein but soon you'll have to incorporate exercise with this diet. I know that I have to! Grrrrrrrr?!
But I was like u ( I stayed 20 pounds over my limit and always felt mopey) turns out my thyroid was beyond bad so I thought things would pick up from there but they didn't. Carbs make me feel like s@it! So I outed them anyway. My body never liked too much fruit.. And I love veggies!!!

Last edited:
I did the " keto" and lost 10 lbs but I don't have much to lose. I need to get back on my treadmill. ( haven't yet.. Because I got burnt out) but will.
Congrats on finding a diet that works for u! That's* marvelous! A good friend friend of mine's son went from 397 to 232 on Keto. The important thing Keto taught me was that I obviously wasn't eating enough protein but soon you'll have to incorporate exercise with this diet. I know that I have to! Grrrrrrrr?!
But I was like u ( I stayed 20 pounds over my limit and always felt mopey) turns out my thyroid was beyond bad so I thought things would pick up from there but they didn't. Carbs make me feel like s@it! So I outed them anyway. My body never liked too much fruit.. And I love veggies!!!
I agree with the exercise thing! I just started again. I've, just now, come home from a decent walk, up and down hills. I plan to get back to the gym I keep paying for, very soon. I just wanted to shed enough that I feel loads better out in public again. I'm getting there. I don't get hungry very often and can fast for many hours without hunger, so that is something I am enjoying, because I know it's not hurting me, not like my old "fasting" habits that got me so b12 deficient I went psychotic.
I didn't used to eat meat and very tiny amounts of animal proteins and now I enjoy them as staples and feel so much better!
Keto eating stabalises my moods as well as my appetite and I've noticed my brain fog and feelings of having my head in a vice, has lifted.

I
I also love my veggies and have never been a big fruit eater. I had a small amount of stewed fruit and yoghurt this morning and I must say, because of eating fruit so sparingly, I really enjoy it when I do.
I also eat more nuts than I used to and am not at all missing stodgy pasta and breads or sugar too-sweetness. Keto eating is so satisfying!
I am basing my meals off Michael Mosley's blood sugar diet and accompanying recipe book and they are amazing low carb, low cal eating and meals. So I'm confident I can keep losing, even if I'm not yet up to working out. I'm being very gentle with myself, as I've found it to be the only sustainable route tp permanent change.

I'll think you'll do very well Mums! The son of a friend whom I spoke of of that went from almost 400 to 232 even had a cheat day once a week! ( gasp!) I've only had two cheat days in 2 to 3 months but I overall feel better! It's funny that we are not fruity!! ?

The only problem with the diet is you'll have 1400 dietians get on your thread and say it's not healthy. But in our case.. We are eating better than before! I really feel a lot better and can fully function at work, with all my meds! I wish you nothing but the best of luck!! ?

Last edited:
It's been a long struggle, encompassing about 34 years.

First it was being obsessed with becoming anorexic. I WANTED to be anorexic, to show my mother how badly her treatment of me was hurting me.

Then I gained weight after she "boarded me out" to strangers, a Scottish family, at 13, and their food was not what I was used to and I got chubby. I panicked and started deliberately avoiding meals and being obsessed with looking like the models in Dolly magazine (this was back.in.the early 80's).

I did develop an anorexic type ED and became very ill with B12 deficiency and anaemia, which lead to psychosis as my brain "started to dissolve" in my late 20's.

I stopped deliberately avoiding food in my early thirties, this was after all my 7-children were born and I was tired of having no boobs, yes, that's how bonkers I was. I was breastfeeding and malnourished for years. Keep in mind, I have Autism (high functioning) and CPTSD. I was also being abused by the father of my chsren throughout my childbearing years.

After my last baby I resolved NOT to miss as many meals as I could, and I went the other extreme. I struggled with putting on too much weight. My weight yoyoed until more trauma and acute stress and my 40's hit, and I became more and more overweight, until I nearly became diabetic (I was classified as pre-diabetic) following a miscarriage and subsequent further spiking in weight gain.

I am now 46, and have embarked on a ketonic diet, after numerous attempts and three miscarriages in the last few years (different and very loving father, my current partner)

No more bingeing or urge to binge, no more missing too many meals.

I have been on this diet for two weeks and my weight has plummeted from at its highest 87.8kg, down to 80.7kg, at the start of this latest restricted diet, at the beginning of March, to now 76.7kg, currently.

My aim is to reach at least 65kg, aiming for that to happen by around the end of April.

I will keep you posted.

A keyogenic diet will take off the pounds- and when coupled with exercise, daily, a great way to trim up- you can wean yourself off the diet and count calories by slowly adding carbs. 1200 was my magic number for maintenance at 45. There can be a rebound effect w ketogenic diets if you quit the diet without transitioning and adding carbs back in.I wish you all the luck!

I fell off the keto wagon after a threat from a housing service provider a couple of weeks ago, and struggling to get back on it. I havent gained, any significant weight, just weighed myself and I'm still under 75kg.
75kg's was a significant milestone for me. So I'm really happy that I'm maintaining the loss down from 80+ . :-)
I'm planning to do some 2and5 style intermittent fasting over this cold period and then begin the low blood sugar style keto loss regime when the weather warms up.
I did do some comfort eating, directly after the threatening event. I drank some alcohol too.
I'm not eating super well. The event, as well as a small.amount of contact with my mother, has left me a bit worse for wear.
Going to pick up my game. I'll cook a stuffed capsicum with mushrooms, lentils, haloumi and tomatoes, and have that for brunch.

Any carbs like pasta or bread I am.managing to have in small amounts. Also any sweeter I have is not refined sugar, I use coconut sugar, honey or unrefined, dehydrated sugar cane juice. I only have this in a daily coffee or tea, occasionally 1 extra of the two.

I am proud of my progress.

Any carbs like pasta or bread I am.managing to have in small amounts. Also any sweeter I have is not refined sugar, I use coconut sugar, honey or unrefined, dehydrated sugar cane juice. I only have this in a daily coffee or tea, occasionally 1 extra of the two.
There you go. . Keto makes you look differently at carbs. Good for you!

So .... I am embarrassed about my flippant, boasty claim in the title of this thread.

Eating issues flared up after and during my miscarriage in june - july and then more so in relation to compounding family related stress.

My mother contacting me being one of those issues.

I went from 72.8 kg (sorry non australians for using our metric system, there are 2.2 lbs in a kg) back up to 80kg and am now losing again but my scales aren't working atm.

I am now a, pretty much, daily, hatha yoga practioner and this is how I am gaining control of my weight.

I haven't managed to maintain the keto diet, but having been on it, I have intergated some of the keto practices and tendencies. For instance, sugar is just too damn sweet for me now. If I eat simple carbs, I feel compelled to walk or practice yoga to burn some of the sugars off.
Some of the low carb recipes I learnt, I make regularly as they are delicious.

I'm not saying that I am not hugely better, from anorexic type self starving and extreme malnorishment to near diabetic and bordering on obese to overweight with ever increasing muscle building and toning and healthy salad eating every day, I never binge eat anymore, although I am struggling with second portionings for dinner.

Need to document my eating, so I'm using this thread.
I am embarking on a 2:5 type diet.
I still don't have my scales working but I'm overweight. Waaaay too curvy. Still practising yoga as much as health, time and energy levels permit but the COVID lockdown took it's toll and I used food and alcohol to entertain and comfort me, some of the time.

I've taken control again. Cut the booze. Missing dinners some of the time. Cooking for my guys (son and guy friend) and able to not eat even when I'm cooking, which I'm pretty pleased with myself over.

Today, this morning, for breakfast, I cooked some cabbage with a little chilli, green sour curry powder, red onion, a splash of olive oil, fresh chilli, a little soy sauce and lemon juice and about 35 gms of peppered smoked salmon. I sprinkled a little parmesan cheese and a tsp of light sour cream.
It was very satisfying and yummy. :-)

I skipped dinner last night and I was quite hungry.

The plan is something light tonight and nothing til then.

So I'm documenting here, to keep myself accountable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back