• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Jobs/ careers (including mine) that are going to be made redundant by AI

For now, it can perform some mundane coding tasks for me. However, there hasn’t been a case where I didn’t need to fix or adjust its output.
As a writer, I'm discovering it doesn't matter how bad or incomplete it is. Books are being produced and published that are 100% AI generated. Companies don't care. This is what I find esp. disturbing. As an editor, I'm seeing so much of it or people deciding that using AI is better than hiring someone.

As a writer, I'm discovering it doesn't matter how bad or incomplete it is. Books are being produced and published that are 100% AI generated. Companies don't care. This is what I find esp. disturbing. As an editor, I'm seeing so much of it or people deciding that using AI is better than hiring someone.
What is your way of coping with that or adapting to that (if you have any)?

What is your way of coping with that or adapting to that (if you have any)?
I'm afraid I mostly avoid. And I think it has, in part, contributed to my apathy about everything. I currently work full-time as a contractor, as a proofreader, and I don't have to worry about AI there. But I've written two books, and I am very discouraged about moving forward with them. I do have another editor who doesn't use AI (yaaay!), but cover design, etc is going to be tricky. I just don't trust anyone out there. So...I just don't do it. Or I only do the things I have total control over.

I'm afraid I mostly avoid. And I think it has, in part, contributed to my apathy about everything. I currently work full-time as a contractor, as a proofreader, and I don't have to worry about AI there. But I've written two books, and I am very discouraged about moving forward with them. I do have another editor who doesn't use AI (yaaay!), but cover design, etc is going to be tricky. I just don't trust anyone out there. So...I just don't do it. Or I only do the things I have total control over.
Funny, the one thing out of all of this that would seem easiest to me is the cover design since I draw and have some graphic design experience. I wonder if one can still get work in freelance proofreading. I've never done it, so I barely know for sure if I have the skill for it. But I have to find the fields in which I can still do things and doing research on what jobs are still viable both online and offline is exhausting.
Hope the best for us all.

There is a documentary that I watched at a film festival a few years ago now called “the future of work and death” which talks about this. And how, technologically speaking, there is a group of people who view death as a technological failure. Extreme! But they say that the technology to make all work obsolete is here. But how society and thought has not caught up with technology and its possibilities.
it was an interesting documentary.

Well certain industries at the moment are very safe. Manual labour - plumbers, electricians, groundskeepers, machine operators, carpentry, tree surgeons, brickies. Sport - running, baseball, football, personal training, gym management, physio, sports massage, osteo. Skilled care - doctors, nurses, carers, pharmacists. Police, fire, ambulance, army.

I think anyone looking to re skill should be looking for a safe bet industry where there’s always work, and that work is only going to go up in demand and price.

There is a documentary that I watched at a film festival a few years ago now called “the future of work and death” which talks about this. And how, technologically speaking, there is a group of people who view death as a technological failure. Extreme! But they say that the technology to make all work obsolete is here. But how society and thought has not caught up with technology and its possibilities.
it was an interesting documentary.
I do believe that. Especially that society has not caught up.
certain industries at the moment are very safe.
That is the thing. At the moment is relative. So if you don't have those skills do you learn? Will they still be safe by the time you learn? I don't mean doctors and police and such which clearly require many many years and investment into getting to work them. I mean the rest of what you mentioned. And shouldn't there be a better way than studying and working something for 20 years to have to requalify for something totally unrelated? Shouldn't technology open up variations of what we do now but just better or different with the technology help? I don't know if that made sense. For example, before mixers and things like industrial machines, farmers would plow with helps of animals and just pure labor. Than there were machines to help manage that better. There were phones, then cell phones, then internet, but for example there is a progression there even if it's vastly different. Like say once upon a time there were call operators to connect cities and such. Now there are call centers and online chats on the webpages of companies. Like, things evolve but there is still place for people in that picture. It should be the same with AI, I just can't exactly imagine what shape that will take.

Funny, the one thing out of all of this that would seem easiest to me is the cover design since I draw and have some graphic design experience. I wonder if one can still get work in freelance proofreading.
Oh yeah. I do freelance proofreading and editing. And there are lots of freelancers that do cover design!

I personally can't wait until AI replaces doctors in Canada. Sadly, an AI doctor will be an improvement to the alternative of... literally nothing.

Back