• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Just Found Out I Have PTSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hiya Storm

And welcome to the site. I'm sure that from the posts above that you are starting to work out that this site is a great place for information, advice, support and also somewhere where you can feel that you are not alone with all of this.

I have found that seeing a counsellor really has helped. Not that I'm saying I'm cured (not by a long shot) nor that I ever will be but I'm facing this head on now. It is such a hard road to go down with my counsellor in takcling this but I am learning and am continuing to learn that it is better to takcle it and make it harder in the short term so that I get better quicker in the longer term than to string it out and not get much better at all. Hope that made sense.

You will be ready to do this one day and you have already taken such great steps in doing this by talking to your counsellor and others. Well done.

I wanted to make an important point on the meds. I have a phobia of meds and was put on diazapam which made me feel exactly like you said. I felt like the living dead. Still had all the devastating thoughts but I just had no emotions - like a zombie. At the time I had no other choice but meds as I was so bad.

Then I came off them and my doctor put me on another med. They were amazing. Once the new meds had started to kick in I felt completely normal. Just like I had before the trauma and no nasty side effects like with the side effects. No intrusive thoughts, only the ocasional flashback (which didnt really bother me that much) and got on with my life as though nothing had happened. So there are meds out there that will help you. Please dont just write meds off as a bad thing.

I'm off the meds now of my own choice and things have got a lot worse again, but they are nowhere near as bad as before the diazapam. They gave me a bit of respite for a while and that has made a real difference.

Anyway, well done again for the post and for opening up. Take care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back