1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Life after law enforcement

Discussion in 'Military & Emergency Services' started by JamesW, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Freida

Freida Been There, Done That, Lived to Tell the Story Premium Member

Love that!!!!!!!

It lessens with time.... But hey...there's always school resource officer of you can stand teenagers!
    blackemerald1 likes this.
  2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. IceQueencop

IceQueencop New Member

Your pain is my pain.

Five years ago my partner left the PD on a PTSD disability a year after a shooting. It hit me then, that LE is not forever. I went back to school. Three days after graduation I got in a shooting and haven’t been the same since. The nervous system got stuck on high gear and I got diagnosed with PTSD.

When I started school, one of the things I wanted was a network of cops who had gotten off the LE path, and could show me a different way, how to be a student again, how to be a civilian. I managed to find a few, and it helped me to feel more comfortable in my new role.

I didn’t get to leave LE on my terms as I had planned, but more and more I am running into cops who are leaving the field, and having trouble adjusting. I would love to set up a network for retired LE. The active folks have their work to do, but retired cops (and dispatchers)...there is a lot of skill, a lot of knowledge in our collective brains.

What if we could work together to encourage greater mental health for the active folks and to hold the door open for those who are leaving, either on their own terms or due to disability? We aren’t the first to leave and we won’t be the last. I would love to hear if you think something like that could work, how it could work, anything. I too, hate doing nothing.
    MrMoonlight and Freida like this.
  4. Freida

Freida Been There, Done That, Lived to Tell the Story Premium Member

Love, love, love that idea!
    IceQueencop likes this.