• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

News Mary Kay Letourneau dies at age 58

Status
Not open for further replies.
She was famous for grooming, then raping, and then marrying one of the students she taught. Not that it was presented in those terms at all by the news media, who continually reported that she and her 13-year-old student had a "relationship," even after she was convicted of raping him, giving birth to his child, and spending seven years in jail.

Although the justice system got it right - a rare occurrence - by convicting her and sending her to jail, no one protected her ex-student from her before or after her time in prison. He continued seeing her and married her as soon as he was legally able to. He was reportedly at her deathbed. I hope some day he finds clarity and healing.

How the Media Turned Child Rape Into a 'Tryst' for Mary Kay Letourneau

I read that article. I mean, it does talk about how the perception of those crimes has changed since 1998, but it shouldn’t have had to change.

He was 13... wow. I didn’t read the news back then, so this is the first I’ve read of it. I wonder how the victim is now. Or their children. It just makes me so sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back