• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Medical cannabis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I have decided to do something I thought I would never do. I am applying for my medical cannabis card next week. I have been researching it for over a month and joining forums, groups, calling dispensaries, doctors, etc. I have been on so many medications since I was 18 (I am 44 now, omg I don't even want to think of the math on that lol) and the meds I have tried affected me in so many ways. One almost killed me and another one has caused harm to my body and do not know if it can be reversed. All I can say about my experience with psych meds (this is my experience and opinion, everyone is different) is be absolutely sure you understand what it is treating and why you are taking it, and know the side effects. Some of the ones I have taken were newer ones with not much info yet. I wish I had understood the ramifications on that one.

I was wanting to know for those that use medical cannabis how it has helped them with their PTSD and any advice for a new user. I appreciate any experiences or advice.

All I can say about my experience with psych meds (this is my experience and opinion, everyone is different) is be absolutely sure you understand what it is treating and why you are taking it, and know the side effects. Some of the ones I have taken were newer ones with not much info yet. I wish I had understood the ramifications on that one.
This is very true.

Do make sure you apply the same caution to cannabis. When there is THC present, marijuana is a psychoactive drug, no different from quite a number of psych meds.

All drugs have what is known as a 'mechanism of action', a.k.a. how the drug works on which part of the brain, under what conditions.

What makes cannabis unique is it's mechanism of action, that's all - for marijuana, that's specifically to do with how the human system is innately able to recognize and process the cannabinoids present in the pot in multi-leveled ways. Pot has organic (not synthesized) cannabinoids, and the human body comes pre-installed with cannabinoid receptors. So far, synthetic cannabinoids have not successfully replicated the effects of organic cannabinoids. Until they do, using actual marijuana is the only reliable way to get the full benefits of the drug.

Research strains, proceed slowly, use as minimal levels of THC as you can get away with (since that's the stuff that can create damage), and read studies. New data is always emerging, and it's very interesting stuff. Just from a health perspective, I'd recommend vaping and/or ingesting over smoking, for all sorts of reasons.

And just be clear with yourself about what symptoms it's meant to address. Keep a log-book, track how it's working. There's trial and error, like with any drug. Negative ramifications, too. The thing that does ring true, funnily enough, is the same reason Lithium is one of the oldest and most-trusted psychotropic medications...it's an organic chemical, not a synthetic or synthesized one. Just don't forget that it's all chemistry, whether it's from the mmj dispensary, or from a pharma company.

Personally, I have to avoid high thc cannabis as it plays havoc. Also, I micro dose, and not all the time as tolerance will escalate quickly if you use much. I think with pot, more is not better, IME. But as Joey says, you will need to gauge your own levels and doses. Every time you try something new, perhaps schedule home and quiet time. Accompanying music with administering can amplify the positive effects. Drink enough, as its a dehydrating herb.
Short term memory is affected so maybe have something to write inspired thoughts down as you may not remember some of the best thought shifts after.

I can't use cannabis because I'm on an opiate plan so I went to CBD oil made from hemp instead. It took about a month to get the dosage straight but I'm really happy with the results.

I have been treating myself with MMJ for a couple years now. I quit xanax and some other stuff and began smoking.

I have recently quit smoking the plant in favor of THC concentrates. Basically they squeeze the plant hard enough to squeeze out all the active ingredients. When finished it looks like peanut brittle or thick taffy. In my case I put the size of a couple rice grains of the stuff in this pen:

Link Removed

I use the pen with THC and CBD isolate crystals (99%pure) refined from rope (I believe). It looks like salt and a couple rice grains worth is about 50mg of CBD when smoked. Much easier this way as the product is the same in mg every time. The product I buy is from "Cycling Frog". Real CBD isolate should taste of fruit more specifically cherries.

It was difficult for me to find the same high cbd indica (sedating) strains. I only use indica because for me sativas and hybrids can be stimulating which is something my body doesn't need.

If you have any specific questions I will try to answer when I have more energy. Just be careful with the THC.

Not if it comes from hemp instead of mj. I use a company called diamondcbd and they do a really good job of explaining the difference. I just had my quarterly drug test and nothing showed up. They also have a couple of relaxation ones that are fabulous

Hey! For myself I have yet to seek professional help/guidance with my thoughts/memories/ and traumatic experiences but am hoping to have the courage soon! Anywho, for me weed was something I always liked the idea of but not the practicality of (due to my asthma), however, now I’m a daily user, when needing to sleep after a bad exposure at work, weed affects me very similar as alcohol minus the motor skill delays, sleep is better, LESS DREAMS :), you will eat a ton, tv and movies get way better/funnier/colourful, the downs is I smoke weed so that is 100% harmful on my lungs, it’s currently still transitioning to legal, and studies have shown use of weed can express other mental illnesses such as schizophrenia, so if you’re at a high risk for that I would stay clear. Smoking hits u the fastest and for me lasts between 3-6hrs depending on thhow grade of weed and how much I smoke at once. Eating weed will creep up on you 1-3hrs to feel the effects, but they will last much longer and it’s a full body numbing vs a brain numbing, but no harm to those precious lungs! Hope this helps!

Well, I have decided to do something I thought I would never do. I am applying for my medical ca...

It helps me to feel like myself again. I am able to sit and have a conversation with my husband without feeling anxious or any of my symptoms. It also relieves pain in my body... Not just emotional pain but physical pain so I feel much better. I take it at night so that when I fall asleep after taking it, I could sleep without being worried about missing anything. It also helps me to eat on certain days that I don't feel like eating. It also helps me want to do self care, and take care of myself hygienically (sp?) and handle whatever business I have to handle here at home. I feel like if you are strong enough to be out and about, then the anxiety relieving will also enhance that. It is pretty great, to be honest. #CANNABISISMEDICINE

Personally, I have to avoid high thc cannabis as it plays havoc. Also, I micro dose, and not all th...

Wow... High thc cannabis helps me a lot. It helps me stay calm during the night when reminders of my past traumas haunt me a lot. But different strokes for different folks. I am glad you have found something that works for you. High THC helps me fall asleep at night..

Last edited by a moderator:
No personal experience but I've also been studying it a lot as I have a few friends using it for PTSD and having great results. One thing I'm seeing in this thread is CBD vs THC. The latest thing I read suggested using higher CBD content during the day and more THC at night to help with sleep. Cannabis saved a few of my friends lives which is definitely what has madm me begin researching it...besides sertraline is messing with my sex life. Lol

Well, I have decided to do something I thought I would never do. I am applying for my medical ca...
I started with cannabis about three weeks ago and have noticed a lessening of depression and much more clear thinking. I stopped smoking it recreationally in my late twenties because it heightened anxiety. This time someone offered and I went for it. I had stopped psych meds starting three three years ago and had a sort of emotional purging of what they had masked for over 20 years. All that seems left of PTSD symptoms is depression. I purchased some high strength and have been experimenting with dosage.
I have a position on psych meds that is not positively in favor of them (at all.) I think medical science has a long way to go before it starts screwing with the brains chemicals. Science's motives are all wrong. It serves corporations and profits in technology. Pharmaceutical company's would be just as happy to have you on your back, unconscious and living on a life support machine that fed you intravenous anti-D's to keep your brain stable while collecting their money from medicare or insurance. I've had direct experience on these drugs and read the horror stories across the spectrum. If I can't fully heal by listening to my own inner wisdom and learning from others, then healing is not available and I will find a way to accept and live with my suffering (which is a kind of healing.)
Anyway, the cannabis is interesting now and helpful for me.
Thanks for starting this thread.
Mark

I've started using CBD oil and have had huge success. It really helps with my anxiety, depression, and even a bit with hypervigilance. I started with a low dose and will be increasing it over the next couple weeks. It won't "cure" anyone but really works well at taking the edge off so you have more successful talk therapy sessions and learning to control your own brain in those stressful times .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back