• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Movies About PTSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two Jeff Bridges movies come to mind, "Fearless" and "The Fisher King". I see Prince of Tides listed on a few posts. It is an amazing book, but very, very powerful and painful to read. Actually Conroy's other well-known book/movie combo "The Great Santini" could be considered PTSD material also.

This might be tenuous but I like "28 days later" a lot. Rage as a virus. I like that. Violence as a disease that can be passed on by infection. I understand that. I know how my own thoughts can slip into wild revenge fantasies.

Plus its got good music, looks brilliant and zombie films have always out the willies up me!

Reign Over Me really moved someone here, the main character is PTSD and the movie seems to revolve around it. I have not seen it yet. Not sure I need to be moved that way.

Reign Over Me is a fantastic movie... It is intense though... Highly recommeneded to watch it with someone else.

There's the movie called "Manic" that has to do with teens who live in a mental institution.... However, another movie I highly recommend you don't watch alone. It may be a trigger and it is extremely intense.

Manic

P.S. No I did not get my username from the movie >.<

Birdy
Mine Own Executioner
Coming Home
Red Beard (the young girl character)

Just saw a new indie film called Adam (2009).

It's about a man and woman in their mid to late 20's both living in NYC. He has aspergers. She doesn't. Romance follows.

While it's not directly about PTSD, many details did remind me of what my wife and I struggle with when it comes to my PTSD. In particular, how they navigate a relationship whilst one of them has a lot of social symptoms and difficulty registering emotions as a neurotypical would. Additionally, his comfort with nonverbal existence was quite familiar. Despite a few flaws as a film, it's a lovely and moving portrait of that sort of relationship. If you go see it, be prepared to cry a little. And of course on top of moving, it may trigger.

As a carer, the 'Time Travellers Wife' hit a nerve. This wonderful man you felt like you've waited your whole life for and when he is there it's amazing, then he disappears. I think most carers with sufferers who shut out could really relate to it.

Cin, I watched The Time Traveller's Wife just the other day. I can see where you'd draw the similarities from.

As for Reign Over Me - I've seen it so many times but yes, it does trigger me. The scene in the judge's chamber's where he says to the lawyer 'you EVER pull that in my courtroom again' etc after he holds the photo up to him and just triggers him out - it makes me cry because I sometimes wish someone would stand up for me like that and be that understanding.

'Memento' - severe dissociation after trauma. Very cool film. Could have been better than Fight Club, but in the end it's not. Don't miss it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back