• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Need Advice on Theory of PTSD Towards Soldiers

Status
Not open for further replies.
No matter how many tours a soldier does, it does NOT guarantee that they will get PTSD.

I must agree with this, and with what becvan said as well. I am not an expert on the subject except that my girlfriend comes from a strong military family, and I reckon her family is a good example to use here. Her father, uncle, and grandfather are all veterans. Her father served the longest, 40 years, and is recently retired. He was on countless deployments, even being in Afghanistan shortly before his retirement. He has been in combat, injured by bomb blasts, shot, a POW, the full experience. Yet he does not have PTSD. He is one of the happiest, sanest men I've met in my life, in spite of serving 40 years active duty. However, his own father suffered PTSD from the Korean War, after only serving 3 years. His brother also suffered PTSD and ultimately committed suicide, yet his deployments and years in the service were limited by comparison.

I believe in my girlfriend's family, there is likely something genetic at play, as more than one person in the family suffers PTSD, including herself, though her PTSD is not combat related. However considering that her father was the longest serving member and saw the most combat, yet does NOT have PTSD, makes your theory seem flawed in my humble opinion.

ga yankee,

First of all, I never said only soldiers get it. Where did you get that idea????

Secondly, the studies I've seen say yes, and now you're telling me other studies say no. OK, that's more information. Please point me to the studies so that I may benefit too.

But I'd really appreciate it if you'd read what I say before firing off.

I thought ga yankee was speaking to Joey? Could be wrong, but that was the impression I got... for the record, I was speaking to Joey also.

I was also speaking to Joey. Karma it is best to ask questions before taking things personally. It's very easy to misinterpret the written word.

Joey if you do a bit of research you will find that PTSD is basically our survival mechanism kicked into high gear. Every human being has the fight or flight mechanism which is ran by the limbic system. All PTSD is, is the limbic system permanently switched on. Basically our survival instincts are working perfectly. Too perfectly. It only becomes a disorder when it disrupts functioning in today's society. It is a known factor that everyone has a stress threshold (which is different for each person) and when it's crossed you get PTSD.

Of course they are many other factors that can be part of this, but basically that is what PTSD is and how it is caused.

bec

becvan, please look at the thread and you can see it is a response to me. If the replies aren't being used properly, I don't think that's my fault. Furthermore, one of the things said did contradict what I said.

And i would still like to see the new data anyway. If I'm quoting old data and there are new data superseding this, I would love to see it please.

Thank you.

Karma- I didn't even read your responses. My comments and thoughts, except for those where I directly addressed Becvan, were totally toward the original post, the thesis, and Joey Padula.

I tend not to get into the high emotions of any posts or the people behind them but jumping on ass was not necessary. I'm sorry you felt everything I said was geared toward you but like I said, I didn't even read any of your posts.

ga yankee,

The thread hierarchy was pointing at me. And you may wish to put the name of the person you're speaking with at the top as I have done.

Perhaps in this way it wouldn't have looked so much like jumping on ass.

But sorry I didn't understand anyway.

Karma----

I guess my experience has usually been that people are addressing the original post unless otherwise stated. Putting the name is just great advice ...thanks much.

Her father served the longest, 40 years, and is recently retired. He was on countless deployments, even being in Afghanistan shortly before his retirement. He has been in combat, injured by bomb blasts, shot, a POW, the full experience. Yet he does not have PTSD. He is one of the happiest, sanest men I've met in my life, in spite of serving 40 years active duty.

I have to wonder if the father just hides his PTSD well. I believe there are various degrees of PTSD. I had 3 traumas before my symptoms were full blown. Prior to the 3rd trauma I hid my symptoms well and no one knew I had it. My psyc doctor never could give me a correct diagnosis.

So maybe the father has a lessor degree of it than the other two, which would enable him to seem happy and sane, but it doesn't mean he doesn't have PTSD unless he tells you that he doesn't.

This is just a thougth and I'm not trying to say he has PTSD because he was in combat, shot at and injured by bomb blasts. It just seems like an aweful lot to go through without some type of fight or flight intensity.

You would be suprised at how many people are walking around with a smile on their face ready to kill someone.

Tammy

You would be suprised at how many people are walking around with a smile on their face ready to kill someone.

Not this soldier! ;-) I am the man in discussion here, Tardis (Dean) is dating my daughter. Don't have PTSD, quite certain of that fact.

However. Did suffer combat stress after being in the Golan Heights in the 70s. Suffered many anxiety symptoms and became a heavy drinker. Lasted perhaps half a year. Then - stopped drinking, received treatment, and am well since.

Huge difference between my brother and myself. Eric was not a talker. Kept everything to himself, including his emotions. Let it fester. Whereas - I am an open person. I talk, express emotions, even crying and so forth. Always have been so. Our family participated in a study on PTSD this past year. Physician conducting the study theorized my openness was a possible preventative measure. Akin to early intervention after trauma. That along with, perhaps my genetic factors are not as strong.

Jim.

Another thing that was talked about in one of my group sessions awhile back may give another angle to study. A WWII vet said that when he left the "combat zone" he spent a lot of time on a ship coming back to the states. He said this gave him and other soldiers a chance to sort things out between eachother, where as the soldiers, like myself, coming home from this war goes from the combat zone to the streets in 24 hours. I was taken out of the hostile enviorment and put in the civilian world very fast. We where thinking this may have more impact on how a soldier is able to adjust. Not that this means the WWII vets had it easy or anything, because they sure didn't. But just a thought we kicked around one day. I do not recall reading anything about this or seen any studies, but then again I have not looked either. :think:

Simpleman, excellent point. Your speaking of decompression. At least, that is what the Canadian military (of which I was a part) calls it:

www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=070801071731.5lgm4yd8&show_article=1

Becoming much more common. My son recently returned from Afghanistan. However. He decompressed in Cyprus before returning home. That transition period makes all the difference in my opinion. In one area of Canada, fewer soldiers were put through decompression, and that area is now experiencing a rise in domestic violence and abuse, since troops returned home.

Jim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back