• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

New Job with No Time for Therapy

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, we haven't discussed it. I know he doesn't do evening and weekend appointments.
@whiteraven when I met with the therapist at 7am for our sessions it was an accommodation that he was willing to do for me as a long term client. It wasn't something that I asked for, I was in a similar situation as you are and he didn't have evening hours, I was just starting a new job and was afraid I would need to quit therapy because I would no longer be able to meet at our scheduled time. He is the one that offered to come in early if I was willing. I won't say that it was easy. My office hours were 8:30-5 with evening meetings 2-3 nights a week on top of that, and his office was 30-45 minutes from my house and job. But if I wanted to continue therapy (which at the time was the only thing keeping me from being suicidal) I had to be willing to make the commitment to myself and that is how he put it, was I committed to my getting better. The drive from his office to work helped to process things and get me in a frame to go to work and there were appointments that I had to cancel because I knew that the day at work was going to be such that I couldn't attend therapy and still manage the work day but we made it work for almost 4 years before work took me to a place 3 hours a way and I had to find a new therapist. (this was before all this COVID telehealth and he wasn't offering telehealth at that time.)

I find my opportunities or energy to do what would help myself are now limited. But I could always identify what was helpful. I suppose some would say that's a commitment to one's self but I just saw it as doing what kept me going. So sometimes there's a way, but other times you can only make the best of it. I'm not great at coming up with workarounds to solve obstacles for stuff like that. I think because usually you can't just do it on your own.

I really hope your T is able to offer a solution. Or that you can get some flexibility with work. When are you starting the new job?
Thanks! I'm starting on the 2nd. They are suggesting initially that I go in on Monday and Tuesday and work the rest of the week from home. But they sound very accommodating already, and I get a ton of PTO to start, so...
Is PT the same as physiotherapy
Physical Therapy, usually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back