• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

No one takes my nightmares and flashback seriously or seems to believe them

Status
Not open for further replies.
You keep trying to see a doctor until you find one. You are right that this is a big issue for you and it is legitimate! You could even go to the emergency room or urgent care and you could get a referral if not some help.

You could even go to the emergency room or urgent care and you could get a referral if not some help.
This must depend on what part of the world you're living in, because you won't get a referral to a psychologist from an ED here in Australia. The appropriate avenue here is definitely your GP.

Can't speak for what it is like in other countries, but it's hard enough getting emergency treatment at an ED. Not urgent treatment and referrals you'll just get sent to your GP.

@Lilac98 - there's lots of mental illnesses that can arise from experiencing trauma. PTSD is only one of them. So it may be more helpful to simply talk to your GP about the symptoms you're having, rather than ask for a ptsd assessment specifically.

This must depend on what part of the world you're living in, because you won't get a referral to a psychologist from an ED here in Australia. The appropriate avenue here is definitely your GP.

Can't speak for what it is like in other countries, but it's hard enough getting emergency treatment at an ED. Not urgent treatment and referrals you'll just get sent to your GP.

@Lilac98 - there's lots of mental illnesses that can arise from experiencing trauma. PTSD is only one of them. So it may be more helpful to simply talk to your GP about the symptoms you're having, rather than ask for a ptsd assessment specifically.
A counsellor before thinks I have ptsd and anyway my old kooth worker is filling in a form to refer me to the mental health service I assume she will write on that my explanation of everything and they would decide themselves if an assessment would be suitable/if I might have it.

Yeah, getting some support is the big ticket item. Because irrespective of whether or not you have a mental illness from trauma (let alone whether it's ptsd), it's the treatment and support that you need for the distress you seem to be experiencing. Formal assessments may be part of that process, but they may not be.

I've had a few rape nightmares recently and I also had a flashback of grandad holding me down on a bed me saying stop stop, the duvet disappearing and then only seeing part of my bare arm with one of his hands on the wrist I could see. And my vagina throbbing. I believe the flashback was real and since I've had dreams before about abuse I remember I think I may have been raped but it seems like cause I have no memory of these things no one takes me seriously or believes it.
I agree one hundred percent here. Maybe not even feel like they don't believe me but more like I feel like a nuisance because of the feelings I'm experiencing and am definitely not wrong for that. Nor are your feelings a joke or to be question ed by anyone. Thy the ones that have no business or honor of getting to understand our story. Lol

@Lilac98 - I do think it could help you to answer these questions.
I already answered the second question and it feels like everyone invalidates it but mum is the worst she always just says your sisters went through much worse I don't get why you're so bothered by what happened to you.

It must be horrible having your family invalidate your experiences. (I have that too).
If this is the way they see it, maybe it's best to stop talking to them about it? You can't change people. But you have to protect yourself.
You live with them at the moment? Idk how old you are, but can you plan for living independently in the future? Maybe having space from people who invalidate you might help.
Do you have friends who understand?
Just remember, these things are hard for people to hear. It's shocking and upsetting for friends to hear details, so sometimes we have to be mindful of what this means for them and not 'wear them out' (my partner reminds me of this when I go too much into stuff and she asks that we talk about it in a more contained way).

It must be horrible having your family invalidate your experiences. (I have that too).
If this is the way they see it, maybe it's best to stop talking to them about it? You can't change people. But you have to protect yourself.
You live with them at the moment? Idk how old you are, but can you plan for living independently in the future? Maybe having space from people who invalidate you might help.
Do you have friends who understand?
Just remember, these things are hard for people to hear. It's shocking and upsetting for friends to hear details, so sometimes we have to be mindful of what this means for them and not 'wear them out' (my partner reminds me of this when I go too much into stuff and she asks that we talk about it in a more contained way).
I do live with them. I can't live independently at the moment and mum doesn't think I'll ever be able to. I can't go out independently and my autism worker has to tell her about appointments she takes me to cause mum is technically my carer. So I can't really not talk to them about it. I don't have friends I struggle to make and keep them and I have severe social anxiety.

That's tough and I'm sorry.

Maybe there is 'talking' and 'talking'. So you need to talk to your mum about appointments and practical things. But maybe in terms of details of what your grandad did, if she is causing you more upset with her responses, then maybe don't go into the details with her?

You're on the waiting list for therapy, I think? It will really help to have a space for you to talk this through.

I hope you get more support in your life because you're going through such a hard process of working out what happened to you. It's crazy making (or that's how I found it). It turns things upside down.

It's great you can come on here and I hope it's helping a bit. Lots of us here have experienced similar things (all different stories but many shared feelings that come from different experiences).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back