• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Noise cancelling headphones, loud noises

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coffeegirl83

New Here
Loud noises at night trigger me, especially after 10pm. And I know I am not the only one, so I have an idea.

I have thought about buying noise cancelling headphones. They are expensive, but if they can help I will buy them to get a better life.

Has anyone tried noise cancelling headphones? Will they help me to not panic at night? Please tell me.

I have noise cancelling ear buds, it actually makes me paranoid that something will happen around me that I’ll miss... like someone breaks into my house but I don’t hear them. That could just be because of my trauma though

How about ear plugs? Much cheaper?

Good idea, although I think noise cancelling headphones are better. But I cannot tell before I have tested both ideas.

I have noise cancelling ear buds, it actually makes me paranoid that something will happen around me that I’ll miss... like someone breaks into my house but I don’t hear them. That could just be because of my trauma though

Thank you for your comment! I can understand that it makes you paranoid.

That is the same for me. I last a minute before erupting in a panic. same with ear plugs. 100% due to my trauma so might be different for others.

I find playing white noise or very soft music helps more with sudden loud noises as it distracts and softens them a little.

I do like some of the newer noise cancelation earphones or earbuds. I think many let you decide on how much ambient sound to let through the microphones. It's really cool...I just use my Samsung Galaxy Buds and my phone.

i have a pair of Bose that I got at a pawn shop for $45. Can't sleep in them but they are awesome for blanking out noise. I won't get on a plane or train without them, and so nice to have around house

I use Bose noise canceling headphones and find them helpful. I wish I had the wireless ones but of course they are more expensive. I can't answer if they would help you or not. I will say that mine do not cancel out everything but turns everything down in general. I would not feel safe if all sounds were canceled.

I use gun range ear protection / drummers ear plugs. You can still hear everything, even conversation/music/etc. -in all it’s subtleties and nuance- crystal clear (unless you put the flange in, then it’s muffled like normal high quality ear plugs that you’re hearing hints though your jaw, instead of your ears). It’s “just” that the volume is turned down and the BANG! SQUEEEEEEEEEAL! CRACK! BOOM! of the upper & lower register is removed. So a gunshot sounds like someone is dropping a book or wearing high heels on a wooden deck (instead of Holy f*cking Mother of Goddamn What? What? I’m f*cking deaf now, I can’t f*cking hear you), and drums sound like you’re listening to them on CD instead of standing right next to them.

$15

EP4 Sonic Defenders Plus | Filtered Flanged Earplugs | SureFire

Loud noises at night trigger me, especially after 10pm. And I know I am not the only one, so I have an idea.

I have thought about buying noise cancelling headphones. They are expensive, but if they can help I will buy them to get a better life.

Has anyone tried noise cancelling headphones? Will they help me to not panic at night? Please tell me.

I use them in art class. Usually, there are other ladies there that chatter....and I can't be creative amongst the chatter....noice cancelling headphones fixed the issue!

I sleep with a white noise app playing. Not being able to hear anything, while I'm asleep? Eek! That frightens me. The white noise dampens the impact of other noises, and is calming when I'm woken suddenly.

I sleep with a white noise app playing. Not being able to hear anything, while I'm asleep? Eek! That frightens me. The white noise dampens the impact of other noises, and is calming when I'm woken suddenly.
I find that amusing...I tried white noise for my tinitus....and it is like chalk on chalkboard. Isn't it funny how different we are?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back