• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

People who use the pandemic as the excuse to be a jerk can eff off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My niece is a school teacher. She just got word that school will be out for the rest of the year. (Because of the virus.) Then her boyfriend broke up with her. Then she found out that I planned to get a cat. She went ballistic by text on me, something like fifty texts like machine gun fire.

I held my own, but eventually agreed not to get a cat, because I can't afford one, vet bills especially. Yes, I am poor.

This text conversation didnot have to go ballistic. I agree. This just happened last night, so I am pleased you put this up here today. It helps to know I am not alone.

@Changing4Best - Ugh. Financial-advisement-via-text-harassment sounds painful. I have seen a few people suddenly flip about someone else's life decisions and try to control them because their own lives/the universe feels super out of control. Nope, you are not alone at all. Keep holding your ground! There are mute and block options on many phones these days. I have done that when a friend was falling apart and then connected when they were ready to engage without blowing up my phone. (Side note: Volunteering as foster for a humane society might be an idea to consider down the road. All the cute and fun, and none of the long term commitment and vet bills. I did it for awhile for puppies and dogs until I could afford one of my own. It was worth it. I kind of miss it.)

@Changing4Best - Ugh. Financial-advisement-via-text-harassment sounds painful. I have seen a few people suddenly flip about someone else's life decisions and try to control them because their own lives/the universe feels super out of control. Nope, you are not alone at all. Keep holding your ground! There are mute and block options on many phones these days. I have done that when a friend was falling apart and then connected when they were ready to engage without blowing up my phone. (Side note: Volunteering as foster for a humane society might be an idea to consider down the road. All the cute and fun, and none of the long term commitment and vet bills. I did it for awhile for puppies and dogs until I could afford one of my own. It was worth it. I kind of miss it.)
Thanks for your thoughts. I appreciate them. I am thinking of volunteering at the shelter. I spoke to my T about this and he thinks it's a good idea. I thought about my weakened immune system from Lyme Disease and maybe just petting the cats will help. I can donate the things I bought for a cat. I will tell them I can help with clerical work or intakes, but not cleaning dishes or blankets due to health problems. Maybe it will all work out.

My niece is quiet today, thankfully. So I can make my decisions with my T's help, who gets paid to do so calmly and rationally.

A small part of me also wants to give them the same great advice I've received countless times over the years.

Get over it.

But that would be rude, so I won't.

^Well yes it would be but it's so deserved. If I told the people who are now struggling and gave their 'advice' back to them there'd be fallout I'm not willing to endure. But I completely understand how gratifying it would be for a millisecond - before the repercussions began.

It's a bitter pill to swallow - one's own advice isn't it. :cautious:

but eventually agreed not to get a cat, because I can't afford one, vet bills especially. Yes, I am poor.

^Could you volunteer to foster cats/kittens to teach them good home habits?
Don't even know if that sort of volunteering exists. (sorry) Wish I could help you get a cat C4B - it sounds like you would be so happy & responsible with it.

I've encountered several people lately - or more to the point, they've reached out to me - their relationships have gone belly up. Suddenly.

Covid19 touching on the stress cracks in their relationships. It's imporant to remember those cracks were there before covid19. It's just in their haste to live, work & run around, avoiding those cracks was easier? Perhaps? Idk.. I'm not a relationship expert. But all the bellyaching about bad habits is amazing.

Now the sh*t has hit the fan relationship wise. They look to my calm & peaceful lifestyle and comment on nothing but their rather oversimplified views that how I live is way better than what they now must contend with. huh??

Could you volunteer to foster cats/kittens to teach them good home habits?
Don't even know if that sort of volunteering exists.
Totally is a thing, and a lot of shelters in our area put out a call for more foster volunteers (especially for cats) when the pandemic hit, because lockdown has made volunteers have to stay home, and instead of keeping their animals in the shelter, they had to suddenly foster them all out. And of course with jobs and incomes drying up, family pets are getting abandoned at higher rates than ever.

Check with the shelter, but most will cover major costs associated with caring for a foster animal:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back