• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Prazosin for preventing trauma nightmares :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys. I obviously don't take Prazosin but I'd thought I'd share J's experience with the medication. I'm not sure of his dosage, I do know they increased them recently.

It helps with nightmares for sure. It doesn't stop them or even reduce them but it helps him to not remember them. He has nightmares continually, throughout the night and is able to sleep through the majority of them. When they are so bad that they wake him up, he doesn't remember it/them.

I watch him alot, when he sleeps and notice all the distress and his movements. I am amazed he can sleep through all of it. It is not restful sleep.

Hi guys. I obviously don't take Prazosin but I'd thought I'd share J's experience with the medication. I'm not sure of his dosage, I do know they increased them recently.

It helps with nightmares for sure. It doesn't stop them or even reduce them but it helps him to not remember them. He has nightmares continually, throughout the night and is able to sleep through the majority of them. When they are so bad that they wake him up, he doesn't remember it/them.

I watch him alot, when he sleeps and notice all the distress and his movements. I am amazed he can sleep through all of it. It is not restful sleep.

You are most likely correct because my dog wakes me up some nights and she is trained to do so. I don’t remember them is the main thing and not waking up stressed by her nudging and licking me. Usually go right back to sleep afterwards. Only thing is she steals most of my pillow.

Attachments

• E0AD6422-C8E3-40EE-9F37-E4F37D92C4AB.jpeg
    E0AD6422-C8E3-40EE-9F37-E4F37D92C4AB.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 116
Good doggo!! ?

I would never wake J up but on the occasion I had to I did it from across the room. I do occasionally gently touch his arm to calm him a bit. He does this weird slooooww movement with his arms. Up. Down. Over. Right arm. Left arm. Both. He has no idea he does it. I don't know if he's acting out his dreams or what?

Sorry. Didn't mean to change subjects.

I've been on Prazosin for almost a week, and it is helping.

My doctor started me at 1 mg. I wasn’t having/remembering nightmares. However, I was still having a difficult time falling asleep. He increased the dose to 2 mg. This increase did help me to fall asleep faster.

So, even though I'm having a bad time with body memories and flashbacks during the day, at least now I can get 5 hours of sleep at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back