• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Pregnancy and medication

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lesza

Learning
Hi! I was recently diagnosed with severe depression, anxiety and c-ptsd. After years of fighting alone, somebody actually is trying to help. The psychiatrist was very nice, asking me why I didn't try to get help earlier. I told the truth, nobody believed me, when I was was searching for help years ago, I was told that people have worse problems than me and I shouldn't come to the doctor with oversensibility.

One the one hand I feel relieved. On the other hand, I feel insecure about taking medications. I still breastfeed my first baby and am 14 weeks pregnant with another. The doctor told me that in my case the benefits are much bigger that risks, and medicines will help me to recover.

I have prescribed sertralina for depression and lorazepam for anxiety. I just want to ask if anybody was pregnant and taking those medicines. I have the other visit in a week to see how I am going and I can write to my doctor if I feel really bad before that date. Also, when I calm down my anxiety, I was told I will be sheduled with the psychologist. The doctor said that now is not a time to start speaking about my trauma because I can suffer a lot from the anxiety, but the pills should calm it down in ten days or so, enough to speak about things. I talked a bit during the visit but they saw me emocionally unstable with difficulties to speak, so for now I have only the pills. And I was told the treatment can be modified, depends on the next visits.

Please, tell me your experience with the medication during pregnancy. I am very affraid to hurt my babies, even if the doctor said that my current state will hurt them more and they need to recover their mummy. Also, if I will not get better, they said it is very recomendable to stay a while in the hospital. I want to avoid it, I don't want to leave my baby, he needs me. They just want to be sure I will not hurt myself, because I have one attempt and they asked me to promise I will not intent again. I want to start the treatment and don't lie about being better, but I am scared to take the pills. Thank you so much for any insight.

I haven't been pregnant and taking medication, but I do know that sertraline is one of the most studied anti-depressants during pregnancy and it is associated with little risk to the unborn child.
As for the lorazepam, I'm not sure; however it can actually cause physical addiction as all benzodiazepins so I would be careful with that in general.

I haven't been pregnant and taking medication, but I do know that sertraline is one of the most studied anti-depressants during pregnancy and it is associated with little risk to the unborn child.
As for the lorazepam, I'm not sure; however it can actually cause physical addiction as all benzodiazepins so I would be careful with that in general.
Thank you for the response. The doctor said to me the same about sertraline and recommended me to look also on the page e-lactancia.org for more info to calm me. I know that lorazepam is just to calm down the anxiety, prescribed for a short period of time. But I am very unsure if even this short timeframe may influence my children. I am like okay, time to start some recovery, in the same time I wish I could wait. I can't with my current state of mind. I was asking if it is possible to go on with psychoterapy only, but they say in my case no, has to be combined with the medication.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back