• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

PTSD as a mental-psychological brain injury...

Status
Not open for further replies.
and then they watch me like a hawk around their kids like I am gonna do something bad, that I would never do.
the tragedy of this myth has always been that it is false. trauma does increase a person's risk toward abusive behavior but most sexual abuse victims do not become abusers. in fact they are more likely to go on continue being abused and getting themselves into worse and worse abusive situations especially as men.

So in my perspective, I do not see any situation that needs my explanation of my mental status in such a detail that they will have no idea what the hell I am talking about.
this is valuable input. the truth of the matter @Lionheart is that quite frankly you do not owe anyone an explanation for anything going on in your life. if it were me i would tell people that i am a retired veteran. you are of an age where being retired is not uncommon and most people know that veterans retire earlier.

if they press just say "i don't wish to discuss it." people may get a little bewildered because it is not often in life that one is told so bluntly to cease a line of inquiry but 9 times out of 10 they will drop it. they may form their own conclusions but that is inconsequential to you. i have never told anyone in my life about my history other than my husband and my doctor. they get to know. that's it.

at some point especially since joining here it has become apparent to me that perhaps that is not the best approach to the situation. but the thing about it all is that your choice to tell your story and disclose your trauma is yours and yours alone and it should be because you are in the process of healing, not in the process of defending or explaining yourself. (which is something that we as trauma victims do a lot of.)

Thank you both @grit and @grief for your replies! I appreciate the insights. I have been too open with too many people in the past. I have told therapists, first responders, nurses, doctors, and the local police but for the most part, I have stopped telling people. When people find out that I am disabled, they want to know why, then if they discover why, it seems like they jet. Also, I just have never known what to say when questioned... I like the suggestion to say "I don't wish to discuss it," and to say that I am a retired veteran. Thanks again.

Lionheart

Some people think that what they know about something is enough to form an opinion about something and unfortunately these same people are the ones that have a hard time changing an opinion. I say screw them. If thats all they want to know then I am not the guy to try to educate them. If they think only weak people get PTSD and only the weakest of those get it without being in a combat situation, screw them twice.
Yes, I think it is an injury. It is why I try to heal it. It is why I don't care who knows anymore. Firefighter of the year, ex first responder medic, and victim of numerous physical injuries with like 2 yards of suture scars to show for it, but my PTSD started with having parents that thought working out on me to save my soul from eternal damnation was a good thing to do. Go figure. It's an injury.
Utterly grateful and determined in this moment to get to such a strong place

Utterly grateful and determined in this moment to get to such a strong place
Me too. It is a moving target. Sometimes a good strong "screw 'em if they can't take a joke" attitude is enough, and that what I am trying for, just enough of my head above water to keep breathing, enough is enough.

Me too. It is a moving target. Sometimes a good strong "screw 'em if they can't take a joke" attitude is enough, and that what I am trying for, just enough of my head above water to keep breathing, enough is enough.
So i had to go to Walmart for a quick bday run and you helped me. I only forgot why i was there a couple of times and didn't lose it completely when the auto scan attendant came and stared clueless at the nonfunctional machine for like 5 minutes. I moved to a different line without going ballistic for an hour in my head or fleeing the scene. I pretended I was unapproachable and avoided eye contact even in the parking lot.

The only reason I like the description is this.

Like any other injury you need the right conditions to heal. Pushing, shoving, raging, and risky behaviour just make you tired and send you backward, keep you from healing and slowing down recovery. It's like going for a run on a sprained ankle, you aren't healing at all - you are probably doing more damage. I did that for 45 years and when it all hit me I could not function anymore without help.

The more I learn how to heal, the better I get at dealing with my problems day by day. I have more tools in my toolbox for dealing with the "I shouldn't have done that" moments now. That's what I love here - I can gain experience without getting the lumps that go with getting experience.

You know, there are a lot of posts that I read and have liked but dont comment on. Often I want to comment, but as I read other peoples post, I see where they make good posts in opposition. I have to let that sink in for a moment or much longer.

This site has humbled me as a human being and thats a blessing for me. First I was a mental health counselor with a Masters in this stuff, then I had a serious head injury....and BOOM....like that, I learned Im no expert at anything. Is it a brain injury? Disease? Syndrome? Disorder?

Well Multiple Sclerosis is not treated like ptsd but has some of the characteristics of a mental health disorder. How about Parkinsons Disease.
Im not making an argument for either, because not only do I not have my remembrance to know these things, I dont have the energy to research what I should already know.

For me, post concussion sequel and ptsd occurred together. Personally, I think ptsd should lean more toward the medical profession rather than the psychiatric profession for a few reasons. In my area, there are no psychiatrists make and appointment with. WTH. There are shortages. Im sure my area is not alone. If thats the case, we are leaving it to PHP's to treat. My php does the best he can to treat.

IMO, nobody is treating it very well. It is groups like this....this group, where you learn the most.
My experience is that it is constantly changing. Recently General Anxiety Disorders is hitting me the worst. I am having some nightmares and flashbacks but they are less. Does that mean they are not affecting my GAD? NO>>>>I know they are.

Sorry, just a long post to say that Im still learning and dont really have an opinion, but like reading others take to enlighten me better.
xoxoxo Brat

By the way, I kind of hate that I picked the name "Brat". Maybe some think its because I am a brat.
I was the last of 5 girls and my sisters called me the "brat" from the day I can remember.
Probably how childhood abuse began
I raised my own kids and would never call them that
I babysit my grandson now days and would never consider that word
A crying child needs something.....and Im going to find out what and comfort them.
I dislike that when I gave myself that name, that is how I felt.
My sisters still treat me that way.
When in fact, Im a very loving and caring person that didn't have their needs met as a young child.
Sorry this is not the right place most likely. xoxox to all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back