• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Readers thread: what or who are you reading right now?

The Sea of Silver Light by Tad Williams. It is the 4th in a science fiction series. Each book is over 600 pages. Just what I love! I am listening to the audio version and loving it.

Visited the library:

The Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen by Donna Klein
Raw Food For Dummies by Cherie Soria
The Sexy Vegan Cookbook: Extraordinary Food From An Ordinary Dude by Brian L. Patton (one of the funniest cookbooks I've read....another favorite is Thug Kitchen)

I've read a few more, but they weren't noteworthy (I forget) and now I'm reading One Second After by someone, and it is very politically right so I'm having a hard time with it. I know it was written after 2001, but the amount of racism and treatment of women is really getting on my nerves. It is set in about 2010, so there is no reason except the author wants to talk about how superior he and his group are, and how the rest of us are idiot environmentalists. He gives us the message that global warming isn't important, we should be spending millions of dollars EMP proofing our war machines. One of the main worries of the people in the book was whether we nuked them for that or not. Anyway, it's a different point of view.

Visited the library again and they were having the annual book sale....yippeee! If only I would have had more time to browse. Currently skimming through:

The Live Food Factor: A Comprehensive Guide to the Ultimate Diet for Body, Mind, Spirit, and Planet, by Susan Schenck
Plant a Tree: A Working Guide to Re-greening America, by Michael A. Weiner

I don't really have a hard copy cookbook I use, @DharmaGirl , as I tend to just google what I want/ingredients I have on hand and add gluten-free/vegan to it and ta-da!...or find it on you tube and then print it out or make note of it for later. I have a helluva stack of those kinds that I keep in folders. :) As far as easy, that continues to be a struggle more often than not simply because of how time consuming it is to eat this way.

I check out a bunch of the vegan cookbooks at the library and copy favorites, if I even try anything out of them. The last one, "The Sexy Vegan Cookbook" I mentioned above was such a fun read. Several of his recipes are a lot like ones I've tried and liked and are pretty easy.

There's a "Plants, Dips, and Dressings" version of a raw vegan cookbook I ordered from Lissa's Raw Food Romance a while back that has great ideas that I build from quite often, too. With the right tools on hand, they're pretty easy. A high speed blender and dehydrator helps big time in the raw arena, I've found. But there again, more steps to take and more shit to clean. lol They say it ain't easy being cheesy, but it ain't easy being cheese-free, either. Hahahahaha!

@DharmaGirl I hope it's okay that I jump in on this. My favorite vegetarian cookbook is Passionate Vegetarian by Crescent Dragonwagon. It's more than a thousand pages long so it's pretty expansive, and everything I've cooked out of it has turned out really well. There is a recipe in there for Indian-style beet soup that is absolutely amazing. I checked and you can preview it on Amazon. And it's affordable. It looks like they have a used paperback copy for less than two dollars.

Anything by Deborah Madison is usually good.

And if you're ever feeling ambitious you could check out Plenty and Plenty More by Yotam Ottolenghi. I'm not always good at gauging easy - for me anything that has me in the kitchen less than four hours counts as easy - but I'm guessing that recipes which entail making caramel, smoking beets, and breaking out a pestle and mortar probably don't qualify. Neither does trekking to fifty different ethnic markets to track down exotic ingredients, but these two books are also excellent so I'll recommend them anyway. Sometimes it's fun to be fancy.

Back