• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Readers thread: what or who are you reading right now?

@Angrboda, thank you for "jumping in". Everyone is welcome to comment. I didn't mean to derail the thread, but I would like to own some veggie cookbooks. I collect old cookbooks, I don't have a lot, but it is interesting to read what people ate then, and how the mom needed to keep a balanced diet for the family, etc.

@Tornadic Thoughts, I have a good blender and a dehydrator, so I'm steps ahead. All the parts of the blender go into the dishwasher so that's easy.

Back to books, I just got The Unkindness of Ghosts, because I thought it was written by Octavia E Butler, but I was wrong, lol. I downloaded it from the library anyway, and have some of her actual books on hold.

I am referring back to the Gita a lot right now but getting hung up on the first chapter .

I reread wonder on Friday ( we watched the movie yesterday)

I just received the body keeps the score but I feel a bit daunted by this aspect of self work.

Dharma girl I also collect certain cookbooks.... a few different sort. My most particular favourite are community cookbooks I adore these and read them a little like biographies of an area. They sometimes make me giggle or sigh, or smile or sad or delighted.

I also like cookbooks published by magazines .

Reading Voice of the Infinite (still) which is about human-insect communication and was on a reading list for a course I'm taking. It's actually *really* good. I've also got a couple of books of poetry I've been reading out of and am reading Heart of Light, Blade of Thunder on my e-reader.

A book by the editors of OUTDOOR LIFE about survival during emergencies. I got it out of our library. It has 338 ideas about HOW TO SURVIVE ANYTHING. Natural disasters or man-made ones. This book is a must in today's world! You never know when all h*ll might break loose!!!

I have read a few since I last commented here.

A Long Time Until Now.
Michael Z Williamson.

Fictional novel about a small group of US military soldiers on a patrol in Afghanistan, who suddenly find themselves transported through time back to the Paleolithic.
I thought it was quite interesting.
Less action packed, more practical survival, lots of attention to detail.
A genuine look at how a small group of modern people with finite resources could survive such a scenario, cut off from resupply and civilisation as they know it.
The author is former military, making the terminology, tactics, interpersonal dynamics and technical limitations of the characters and equipment believable, despite the far out nature of the plot. It was not what I was expecting, but it was a pleasant surprise. (Being a civilian and a foreigner. I of course don't know all the in's and out's of modern US military culture. However, the minutia of the novel is consistent with what I have gleaned here on this site, other military people whom I know in my own life and reviews on the audible website from people claiming to have served with the US military.)

I would recommend specifically the audiobook version, as it does seem to have been written for that format. The author doesn't use alot of "he said, she said" in the dialogue. Providing a more seamless listening experience with a voice actor sorting the dialogue. Though it could be a bit confusing to read yourself. I also happened to like the narrator.

@DharmaGirl and @Mee I also collect cookbooks, mostly ethnic ones. I can't afford to travel to strange foreign lands, but I can eat their food and pretend that I am. I also collect cookbooks that have been around for awhile and gone through multiple revisions. I have six copies of The Joy of Cooking that are all different. It's interesting to see how people change what they eat. And veggie cookbooks. I used to be mostly veggie before someone else decided that I wasn't. DharmaGirl, I really need to thank you for asking about this. The last few days I've been looking through the books I told you about, and I've actually been feeling like cooking again. I guess I just needed to make my kind of food.

I always try to buy them used because my favorite thing about cookbooks is that people tend to write their own notes inside, and sometimes you can find extra special treasures. Yesterday I got a copy of a book called The Cuisine of California by Diane Rossen Worthington at the Goodwill. I was flipping through it this morning, and I found a handwritten letter full of recipes that had been left inside. I guess it used to belong to a woman named Delores who had a friend named Dorothy. That was a really fun surprise.

I started reading Dark Heart, by Nick Davies, a UK journalist. It was written well over 20 years ago now and is a big piece of investigative journalism on some of the lives on I guess what then would have been called the UK 'underclass'. Very sad and tough reading with a gigantic trigger warning for a lot of people I'd think! But a really good piece of work.

I keep starting books and getting distracted atm, it's so annoying because I really want to get back into reading and learning more.

Also reading my module texts...

Lost At Sea by Jon Ronson is really great, again it's by a writer/journalist (although this guy is also a comedian) and is comprised of lots of strange stories about strange subcultures, other groups and phenomenon. One story is about the city of North Pole in Alaska where they force christmas every day, all the time.

I started reading Dark Heart, by Nick Davies, a UK journalist. It was written well over 20 years ago...
* on everyone, even.

Oh, and the story in Lost at Sea about the process of filming the TV programme Deal or No Deal is unbelievable..!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm reading Janet Evanovich's , Dangerous Minds. She writes mysteries with funny characters. Always a quick read.

I used to read cookbooks too from cover to cover. My favorite is my Mom's Better Homes and Garden cookbook from her wedding shower in 1959. I also have one from elementary school which was put together by the mothers of my peers and has their names on the recipes. I use them both quite a bit.

Back