• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Readers thread: what or who are you reading right now?

Continuing the theme, I'm now on to Reasons To Stay Alive, by Matt Haig.

So far, it does appear that having, or finding, a life partner is an essential theme in mental illness survivor books. Dang.

Haig has (helpfully) pointed out that if you're in that moment where you're seriously considering suicide? It's officially rock bottom. The illness doesn't get worse than that. And that's an idea I can sink my teeth into.

He's also mentioned (multiple times): Depression and Anxiety are liars. They lie to us all day long, every day of the week. Another idea that I think might be helpful.

I don't think it's going to leave me with the same "Bring it, Life!" attitude that Bri Lee left me with. But it's a much lighter read. And my brain appreciates super-short chapters!

I'm currently fixated on stories about how people actually recover. I'm not sure it's healthy! The last one I read was a Depression survivor - except the reviews subsequently revealed he ultimately sadly lost his battle.

Keep looking. The healthy ones are out there.
So far, it does appear that having, or finding, a life partner is an essential theme in mental illness survivor books. Dang.
I have written a memoir that I think is very uplifting in terms of survival and recovery. Not published yet - I'm finishing up a self-help book (also uplifting) on depression. I don't have a partner, and I suspect that's the way it will always be.

Finished “One of Ours” by Willa Cather—lovely narrative, very soothing.

Was going to read “Wide Sargasso Sea” by Jean Rhys, when I found out that it is a prequel to “Jane Eyre,” which I have not yet read (late bloomer with reading) so reading that now.

Im trying hard to read „infinite jest“ it’s a Brain sucking thing.. I don’t know why I should feel the need to read this book. Has anyone got through it? I will get through but I also might give up .. Ego Rebellion

"Life Lessons from a Brain Surgeon" by Rahul Jandial, MD, PhD. He uses a lot of experiences from his practice. There's no highbrow medical words. I am less than halfway through the book. He mentions PTSD sometimes too.

Recently acquired two new recipe e-books that have me ready to do some creating and sampling: The Inside Scoop: Mastering the Art of Small Batch Nice Cream by Nathan Maris and Have a Winter Raw Food Romance by Melissa Raimondi.

Back