Service Dogs (2023)

session notes
1707248583010.png

A thought - one of the things my trainer required was that we pass the Public Access Test, which is basically the trainer following us around and documenting that SD was well behaved in public. There is no actual certification test required to have a dog, but this process verified he had learned all she had to teach and gave me reassurance that he was predictable in public

You can see it here public aaccess test yes, you can train to this by yourself but I liked having some kind of oversight to do it right lol

I used gentle leaders on my Rotties and loved them., Instead of trying to win a battle of wills by pulling on their necks, where all their muscles are lol, the leader directs their nose. Think of it like a halter on a horse by pointing them the way you want him to go rather than pulling
Also a Rottie owner and lover for 30+ years. I've always wondered how well the gentle leads would work but I've never gotten one and have never heard anyone mention then in my breeder group so I made the obviously incorrect assumption that maybe they didn't work very well so I'm glad it read this. She's well trained and has her CGC-A certificate but...... not surprisingly.she occasionally gets "boisterous" on a walk 😉

not surprisingly.she occasionally gets "boisterous" on a walk
Yep - this is when this kind of lead shows their worth LOL
I am trying to get a friend to use one on his dog but he can't get past the idea that it is a muzzle - and he raises horses! I told him it's the same thing! LOL

I am trying to get a friend to use one on his dog but he can't get past the idea that it is a muzzle - and he raises horses! I told him it's the same thing! LOL
Don't muzzles restrict movement of the mouth?

Don't muzzles restrict movement of the mouth?
Yep - a muzzle and a halti are totally different things but he can't get over the idea that it crosses his dogs know. I know eventually I'm just gonna buy him one and show him how it works. 😁 He's got a shoulder injury so even though his pup is still young it's hard on him when he tries to direct him using a regular collar.

Yep - a muzzle and a halti are totally different things but he can't get over the idea that it crosses his dogs know. I know eventually I'm just gonna buy him one and show him how it works. 😁 He's got a shoulder injury so even though his pup is still young it's hard on him when he tries to direct him using a regular collar.
My dog personally loves her leader because she knows she gets to 'play' when she has it on

I actually think they should be familiar with the feel of muzzles. Not because they're needed for everyday interaction. My dogs are always largely socialized with people, different situations and sounds, and other dogs. But God forbid you're traveling and get into an accident with your dog and you are not conscious and they are hurt. A hurt dog can bite after something like that, be it from pain, fear or both . Better to have a dog familiar with a muzzle if it's required by emergency personnel than to have a large fearful dog no one can control while you are incapacitated. That's how bad and sad situations come about

Back