Service Dogs (2023)

I don't think that she's confused in that way. She's not trying to be dominant in any other way

Its not a her issue. Its a you issue. She isn't trying to dominate anything. She is trying to protect you. When I say dominance issue I'm simply referring to her wanting to protect you. Sometimes you want that sometimes you don't. You should never "dominate" your dog and if your dog is trying to "dominate" you, you have real problems.

In canine heiryarchies they all have rolls. If you are interested look up wolf behavior in the wild. Its fascinating. Your dog is just confused by his role. I'm telling you how to establish that role for him because that's your job of you want to train him.

@Workingonit - yep. Saw that. But there’s a bit of a mix of R+ and Dominance based suggestions throughout your posts, so I thought I would help by clarifying.

Each to their own. Everyone has different experiences with dogs. I’ve got no problem with that.

My own suggestions simply come from my own experience, as a Seeing Eye Dog trainer, which is what I do for my day job, together with my history training Service Dogs for a range of physical and mental disabilities, including ptsd, and some years working in a dog rescue shelter. If I see training or behavioural tips that stem from Dominance theory, I tend to notice, because they’re as common as they are counterproductive:)
Ya i agree with that and understand why the word dominance was off putting for you.

There is a special place in hell reserved for people that use fear and violence to train a dog. Not only is it counterproductive but doing that to an animal that only wants to love you is evil.

If God doesn't exist explain dogs.

Dominance based suggestions
Which dominance based suggestion specifically?

Which dominance based suggestion specifically?
We’ve had multiple threads on how to DIY service dogs over the years. The advice provided in this thread is consistent with the hot mess of good/bad/terrible advice that we usually get.

I have zero interest in delving into a side conversation about what is what and why and why not. It’s not a one-post-and-done conversation. It’s years of training and getting qualified, which I don’t have the will or capacity to dot point here.
My suggestion would be to find a service dog organization or company in your area that trains dogs for PTSD.
This is the advice that resonates most with me.

Don’t screw it up. If you want to get it right, if you want your dog to be an actual medical aid, get help from someone who knows what they’re doing, and can put eyes on both you and your dog to give you advice that will work.

Do you want a potentially violent best friend? Maybe you do, idk.
I feel I need to clarify this as well. Sometimes you do want a potentially violent best friend. I personally don't.

Personally, I want to be able to take my dog to the park and not hold on to the leash because no matter what my dog isn't going anywhere or after anything ever. Not over a squirrel or a bird or another dog. She only chases balls and Frisbee. And if I tell her to stay she won't chase those until I tell her. I can point at a kid across the park and tell her to fetch it to him and she will go play with that kid. I can tell her to get in the car and stay and she gets in the car and stays. I can leave her outside the store while I shop and when I come out she's right where I left her. She knows her toys by name and I when I stopped training her new things it was because I ran out of things to teach her.

I also taught her to play hide and seek with my 8 year old daughter.

Thats my perspective on dog training.

I have to agree with much everything said, in these ways:

A dog does get very confused if one thinks it's 'joking'/ funny to 'pretend' attack and it to my knowledge does teach aggression;
Dogs are naturally protective and do no need to be encouraged to be;
Dogs do look to a pack leader and if you aren't it they will take on the role because they 'have to' (dominance);
Puppies esp @4 months need exercise exercise exercise, obedience and then love. Obedience comes from continual, short, consistent, positively-reinforced training. Patience+++. You want it to be fun and them to succeed;
So called negative behaviours need re-direction: chew shoe_> becomes chew toy (not hide shoes on fridge);
Basics, such as housebreaking and walking on a leash. Recall. Stay. Over and over and over again. And then with distractions;
Brushing/ grooming and touching ALL body parts for connection and ease in the future;
I would guess guarding you from squirrels could be picking up your vibe. They need you calm and in control (they are very spongy and pick up emotions, esp very smart ones). Train the Trainer isn't an insult, it's just a fact for all of us. (Pilot error..);
Ours @ 6-8 weeks watched a latch turn, then did it. Watched a doorknob turn, and stood up on 2 feet with 2 paws around it to try. They watch everything!
Dogs often find their own solutions when enabled. When ours (x2) jumped up, we did feet on the floor (take feet and put on floor). They both learned on their own to put a toy in their mouths and that solved it. This one just wants a kiss/ hug and now stands on 2 feet with her paws around your neck and hugs when we get home.
People like Cesar Milan have great free resources.

She is just a pup- 16 weeks on Earth. It's critical she learns the world is a safe place.

JMHO (i've had large breeds 40+years 2 rescues and x1 Police Personal Protection Dog (retired) ).

Good luck and have fun, every day is something new! Today ours decided she will knock on the bathroom door when closed.😆 Life and learning should be fun now. The more time and effort you put in the easier it is. And like others said get the guidance from those who are reputable and know.

The advice provided in this thread is consistent with the hot mess of good/bad/terrible advice that we usually get.
This is insulting and passive aggressive and deflecting from the question asked. All of my suggestions have been peaceful suggestions and I would like to know which suggestion specifically I made is wrong. Maybe I got something wrong and I can fix it.

If I wanted passive aggressiveness and appeals to authority I wouldn't be here. I honestly thought this community was better than that.

I have to agree with much everything said, in these ways:

A dog does get very confused if one thinks it's 'joking'/ funny to 'pretend' attack and it to my knowledge does teach aggression;
Dogs are naturally protective and do no need to be encouraged to be;
Dogs do look to a pack leader and if you aren't it they will take on the role because they 'have to' (dominance);
Puppies esp @4 months need exercise exercise exercise, obedience and then love. Obedience comes from continual, short, consistent, positively-reinforced training. Patience+++. You want it to be fun and them to succeed;
So called negative behaviours need re-direction: chew shoe_> becomes chew toy (not hide shoes on fridge);
Basics, such as housebreaking and walking on a leash. Recall. Stay. Over and over and over again. And then with distractions;
Brushing/ grooming and touching ALL body parts for connection and ease in the future;
I would guess guarding you from squirrels could be picking up your vibe. They need you calm and in control (they are very spongy and pick up emotions, esp very smart ones). Train the Trainer isn't an insult, it's just a fact for all of us. (Pilot error..);
Ours @ 6-8 weeks watched a latch turn, then did it. Watched a doorknob turn, and stood up on 2 feet with 2 paws around it to try. They watch everything!
Dogs often find their own solutions when enabled. When ours (x2) jumped up, we did feet on the floor (take feet and put on floor). They both learned on their own to put a toy in their mouths and that solved it. This one just wants a kiss/ hug and now stands on 2 feet with her paws around your neck and hugs when we get home.
People like Cesar Milan have great free resources.

She is just a pup- 16 weeks on Earth. It's critical she learns the world is a safe place.

JMHO (i've had large breeds 40+years 2 rescues and x1 Police Personal Protection Dog (retired) ).

Good luck and have fun, every day is something new! Today ours decided she will knock on the bathroom door when closed.😆 Life and learning should be fun now. The more time and effort you put in the easier it is. And like others said get the guidance from those who are reputable and know.
that pic was at four months <3 she's 16 months now

Sorry i hijacked your thread to argue with a moderator.
Mod Note : All mods are members, first, and we post as such.

We have more rules we have to follow than other members, but we are… first and foremost… members.

Unless a member sees a post such as ^^^this?^^^, all PAY ATTENTIONish, or is being given specific instruction (Contact Us, start a new thread, knock it off or threadbans will follow, etc..)? You’re just talking with someone else with PTSD, or supports someone who does, who also happens to volunteer their time.

As always, rather than reply to THIS post, please use Contact Us if you would like to discuss further… aaaaaand we now return you to your regularly scheduled thread! 🤠

Back