• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Severe flashback event during medical procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Omg, I wish I had an 80 year old in my life whom I could call Nan and watch funny bird videos with

I'm incredibly blessed and fortunate.
But, seriously, old people are the best. Have you considered visiting someone at a nursing home? Lots of places have programs where you can adopt a senior.
It's kind of like being around kids, just the acceptance and gratitude for your company. You don't have to do or be anything, and it's the highlight of their day.
I'm 26 and teaching my grandparents to use the net is just the gift that keeps on giving for all of us. (Nan once asked how many stamps you have to put on an email.)

I'm incredibly blessed and fortunate.
But, seriously, old people are the best. Have you considered visiti...
I used to volunteer and work as a companion caregiver for the elderly and disabled. It would be hard for me to do now, though, I am disabled from aggressive multiple sclerosis.

I have gotten well enough to be able to allow a gynecologist visit, though I go as rarely as physicall...
I'm so sorry you had those terrible experiences! Some of my trauma issues stem from prolonged subjection to medical tests, treatments, and hospital stays. I faced multiple chronic conditions from a very young age. I was also assaulted by a doctor when I was five. So, thinking about it now, it's pretty obvious why I would have that reaction. You're right in saying I need to learn to recognize it so I can proactively take steps to change my thought process. Thanks for giving me support :)

I totally relate to you! I, too, acted out while with a doctor. I had no clue that I was about...
Wow, me and you have such similar experiences with our traumas and cPTSD. I'm glad you were able to develop a good approach to it with your doctor. I think I focused too heavily on the abuse/traumatic loss components of my trauma and didn't give enough attention to addressing the parts of my PTSD that stem from medical processes/issues and the assault I suffered at the hands of a pediatric doctor when I was 5. In retrospect, it makes total sense that I had this break down. I've been facing A LOT of stress fromfrom he issues lately which I think just came to a breaking point yesterday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amblafo35, I had a dentist that almost slugged me. I had the majority of my teeth pulled as a little child. In my teen years, it was discovered that a molar had grown horizontally in my gum because there were no baby teeth in my mouth to help guide the new tooth into the correct position. So I had to have jacks put on my teeth to push them apart to allow this new molar to right itself and break through the gum line correctly. In the process, my gums had to be numbed. Problem is, I don't numb well, if at all. This day was an "if at all" day. The dentist did not believe that I was not numb and started to work on me. (I was 12) When he started working, I started screaming. It was awful. In absolute frustration, he stood up from his stool, clenched his fist, pulled his arm back and was going to hit me in the face. Just as he was about to take his swing, he came back to his senses and stopped. Ohhhh he was mad. Though I do not know your experience with your pediatric Dr. I can relate to the abuse of one. Sad, huh? I am sorry that you have a heavy plate to deal with at such a young age. But, I am impressed with your delight with old people. That is a gift I think. I know of one other young person who loves working with us old people. We have lots of great and fun qualities about us if only the grandchildren were interested in finding out. I am glad you found this forum. It is a great place to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back