• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Sheppard Pratt Trauma Disorders Program Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobeara

New Here
1) is it hard to get in? What do they look for? Do they deny people?

2) What is a typical day like? Schedule and general flow?

3) How long do people stay there?

Hi, I also have some questions. It seems that the program at Sheppard Pratt is really designed for stage 1 trauma work, and deeper processing of trauma is not addressed. My therapist has suggested I try this program as she thinks I'm requiring more intensive treatment. However, I am not struggling with daily functioning or suicidality. It seems that when we try to do stage 2 work, I get triggered and dissociative symptoms increase, preventing progress...which is why she is making this recommendation. She feels that if I am in a more supportive environment receiving more intensive treatment, I will be able to work on processing what I need to process and make progress. I'm just not sure if this program is appropriate for me. I already have a wide range of coping skills. Are there patients on the unit who are working on deeper processing of trauma? The website pretty clearly states that they do not do stage 2 work. Just wondering if you have any knowledge/info on this. Thanks

Like any hospital setting it is geared towards acute crisis care, which is why to be there you have to be referred, and have in place aftercare with a therapist. It does not matter what stage your in,

It was a life changer for me, without it I would have never improved from my trauma.

Hi, I also have some questions. It seems that the program at Sheppard Pratt is really designed for stage 1 trauma work, and deeper processing of trauma is not addressed. My therapist has suggested I try this program as she thinks I'm requiring more intensive treatment. However, I am not struggling with daily functioning or suicidality. It seems that when we try to do stage 2 work, I get triggered and dissociative symptoms increase, preventing progress...which is why she is making this recommendation. She feels that if I am in a more supportive environment receiving more intensive treatment, I will be able to work on processing what I need to process and make progress. I'm just not sure if this program is appropriate for me. I already have a wide range of coping skills. Are there patients on the unit who are working on deeper processing of trauma? The website pretty clearly states that they do not do stage 2 work. Just wondering if you have any knowledge/info on this. Thanks

My treatment is about as intense as it might get. My therapist wanted to see me 2x a week, can only afford 1x, but our whole track is about confronting my trauma directly "and feeling| those emotions blocked or suppressed, instead if just trying to cope with them. And dissociative symptoms are part of it, don't see it as a negative, see it as a part of the way the mind copes. I have to wonder if your T is overwhelmed with providing your care, not all T's are equipped for trauma even when trained for it. You might ask yourself if your ready to progress, I was not for a good while, and I felt stuck with my trauma, it takes time. For me I reached a point of all or nothing, confront my trauma and accept all that comes with that (painful and joyful), or give up. The desire to not give up has motivated me to cope with my trauma, and its horrors. Maybe this is a good time to take an inventory of where your at, with your care, your trauma, your needs, your supports, etc.

@recoveringfromptsd I am not in an acute crisis. So I suppose it wouldn't be a helpful referral? I am a trauma therapist myself, so I am aware of the treatment stages etc. If Sheppard Pratt does stage 2 work, I would be willing to learn more about it. I was just under the impression, from the website and word of mouth, that they only treat trauma using a stage 1 (safety and stabilization) model. Thanks.

I know this was written a couple months ago, however, I want to suggest River Oaks. They focus on phase two work. Some go when they are in crisis, others are rather stable. If you want to process trauma in a safe environment, River Oaks is the place to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back