• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Accepted To Sheppard Pratt, Waiting On River Oaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cannottakethis

MyPTSD Pro
So 4 weeks, many hoops jumped through and many tears shed, I've finally been accepted to Harvard, oops, I mean Sheppard Pratt. They want me to come NOW. Like yesterday. I can't go anywhere till the weekend. It's a 3.5 hour drive so my husband will be taking me. And I'm also waiting to hear from River Oaks, which will be today or tomorrow. I want to look at the pros and cons of both programs and make the decision best for me.
This has been some journey. And still, I have not gotten one call from SP. River Oaks has called me just to let me know that they're waiting on my old files.
This has been one long crazy ride. Can't wait till it's over.

Many have raved about Pratt and how great their Trauma Disorders Unit is. And the way you spoke about River Oaks being ok but a bit subpar to Pratt, I would jump at Pratt.

It's like being accepted to Harvard.

There's a few threads on here from people that went to Pratt so you can be as prepared as possible.

And good luck! :hug:

I highly recommend Sheppard-Pratt. I have been there and it has proved really helpful. Overall it is a great staff, everyone is on the same page. There are useful groups and time to work on goals that will help you stabilize and cope. There are a lot of people with dissociative disorders relating to trauma that go there. I learned a lot of good skills there. You can definitely ask the admissions person to change the date of your arrival. It is a bit hard to arrive on a weekend so if you do have to go on a weekend, just hang in there until the weekdays when things pick up and you get to meet your actual treatment team. If you have any questions feel free to private message me.

If you wait until the weekend, will you lose the bed?

As in... Husband can take a day off work? Or you could take the bus & he could come down on the weekend (along with anything you've forgotten or decide you'd like to have). Or other transportation possibilities? Train? Disability shuttle? Friend drive? Etc.?

Pratt has various advantages over the other insofar as funding as well as the quality of professionals that work there. However, best to you on your journey as well as final choice.

Ok so now I'm accepted to both places. It's just like when I was job searching and had two offers to choose from :p! I know everyone on this site is very pro Sheppard Pratt. And I said that the outpatient program I'm in currently is sub par, not River Oaks.

I actually got to talk to the woman at SP today. We talked about what they offer vs what I need and agreed that they are not perfect for me, nor I for them. She agreed to wait until tomorrow for my final decision and yet they would hold my bed till the weekend. My husband works in a hospital and can't just take a day off and after they ran me around the way they did, they can hold a bed.

@Recovery4Me have you been to both places? Where do you get your information about funding and quality of professionals from? Having been to Places with under and unqualified professionals, River Oaks had a fantastic staff, and tracks in ED and Compulsive Behaviors within the Trauma unit, the latter being extremely helpful to me.

I will make my decision tonight/ tomorrow and plan to be gone by the weekend. I truly appreciate everyone's open and honest feedback. I will let you know my decision and follow up with you after I get back. :tup:

I looked at River Oaks for their ED program (not their PTSD program although I have both). In the end, I got lucky and my treatment team decided to hold off. Later, my therapist received a new client who had just gotten out of RO, for ED, and had a horrible experience-- seems to be a place where they feed you, but don't teach you how to cope with the emotions that come up. My therapist is glad that I didn't end up going there. I have not looked extensively at their ptsd program, and while I assume it is good, I wouldn't put all my hopes into the Ed track they have. SP seems to be the gold standard, and if given the chance seems like a really good opportunity. Either way, let us know what you decide and good luck!

@Leighlee87 thanks for the info. I was there several years ago and had a good experience.

I do not have ED so can only comment on the Trauma section. It was fantastic if you are in a place in your journey where you are ready to process. If you are ready to reach in, pull it out, and face it, and make it easier to deal with.... this happened with some of my trauma. No more flashbacks, memories,etc. my insurance made me leave before I could do everything and I actually paid out of pocket thousands of dollars to stay longer... The rooms aren't too bad and the staff is great. I'm leaving Monday so I'll let everyone know what I think when I get back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back