• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Stages of PTSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

PTSDisaster

Confident
I've been in therapy (again) for like 3 months now. Since November my mental health had gone downhill very quickly, but I think I am recovering pretty good. But it feels like I'm going through stages of ptsd. First I cried every day, then I got anger issues and got very agressive, then I got a pretty heavy period of anxiety. Now I'm startled so easily. I always got startled easily, but at this point, when I wake up at night I just get shocked by my surroundings? Like furniture which has always been there for years, or when my partner makes eye contact when I wake up.

I am wondering if any of you experience the same thing? Do you feel like your recovery is going through stages?

Hope y'all are doing well:)

I'm not sure, it's something that I never thought of. I know that I did go through similar emotions, I had crying and rage combined at the same time. I had a whole summer of anxiety about a decade ago. I wonder what others will say.

I cycle between shutdown (depression, numb, empty, still, on auto pilot, disconnected) and high agitation (anger, anxiety, restless, on edge, tearful). My therapist explained that if you come down from shutdown you often get more agitated (more energy) and then you come down from agitation into a safe state. Except people with PTSD tend not to stay in the safe space so bounce between shutdown and high anxiety. That could just be my therapist though.

Yes ..there are definately stages. Even though you do kinda move through them, they aren't really in a straight line. You kind of bounce back & forth & around between them. But as you do the work, you do slowly progress through them.

It's like you're always working on all the stages, all of the time, to varying degrees. However the main focus of where you are at, changes as you work through them, one by one.

It may not seem like it, but there is a process you go through. Even when it can seem like subtle shifts at the time.??

Thank you all so much!

Yes ..there are definately stages. Even though you do kinda move through them, they aren't really in a straight line. You kind of bounce back & forth & around between them. But as you do the work, you do slowly progress through them.

It's like you're always working on all the stages, all of the time, to varying degrees. However the main focus of where you are at, changes as you work through them, one by one.

It may not seem like it, but there is a process you go through. Even when it can seem like subtle shifts at the time.??

Did you experience the stages too ?

I've been in therapy (again) for like 3 months now. Since November my mental health had gone downhill very quickly, but I think I am recovering pretty good. But it feels like I'm going through stages of ptsd. First I cried every day, then I got anger issues and got very agressive, then I got a pretty heavy period of anxiety. Now I'm startled so easily. I always got startled easily, but at this point, when I wake up at night I just get shocked by my surroundings? Like furniture which has always been there for years, or when my partner makes eye contact when I wake up.

I am wondering if any of you experience the same thing? Do you feel like your recovery is going through stages?

Hope y'all are doing well:)

what do you mean when you say that your shocked by your surroundings when you wake up? are you saying that nothing looks familiar at first? just wondering cause ive had that happen also.

what do you mean when you say that your shocked by your surroundings when you wake up? are you saying that nothing looks familiar at first? just wondering cause ive had that happen also.
Ehm for example, my coat has always been hanging at the same spot. But I think it is what you’re saying; it doesn’t look familiar, but just for a few seconds I guess.

wake up at night I just get shocked by my surroundings? Like furniture which has always been there for years, or when my partner makes eye contact when I wake up.

Don’t know if my offer will personally resonate to you but I wanted to try. I taught various classes for some of our Forces. Those whom had been captured, intense combat, ect. had stages of non-recognition of their environment when they were jolted out of night terrors or flashbacks. One in particular used an object suspended near his side of the bed that he imprinted to mean ‘safe’. It kept him from going into fighting for survival mode and hurting his wife.

I personally had to go through some training in therapy to assist with my tricks or techniques to ground during fight or flight flash from night terrors. As I began to process some of the trauma or delve in therapy my ‘ball of yarn’ persay began to unravel in unsettling ways.

It was important to me to understand where my responsibilities rested after the initial flush from triggers. I came to rest in that it is OK to feel what I need to feel but how I choose to act on it is key.

Glad you opened up:stay well. You are more than your PTSD...keep the faith!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back