• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Other Substance Abuse And Trauma

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm obsessed with the societal issue of trauma, as it seems every individual that comes in for counseling reports traumatic events; most in early childhood.
Not all traumatic events are PTSD qualifying traumas, and not everyone who experiences qualifying trauma develops PTSD.

Many people can have very very difficult childhoods and end up with attachment issues, negative core beliefs, and have all that connect to addiction problems - but it's not PTSD.

Therapies for memory integration/fear extinction, which are a must (in my opinion) for PTSD can also benefit people with developmental trauma-type backgrounds. Or, those individuals can address their current negative functioning through other kinds of therapies.

I also think those individuals could do well in a dual-diagnosis (addiction plus mental disorder) therapy process and work on both together.

But I think it's less likely for a PTSD sufferer to cope and stay motivated through trauma therapy if they are also dealing with addiction. Getting the addiction dealt with first would be advised.

Re: juicing - juicing gives you the kick but the benefit of chewing (which is something I'm not adept at - as long as you're supposed to chew) is that it sets the enzymes and stuff in your mouth and mixes with the food that you're about to swallow - sort of readying the body for what it is about to receive and it, itself is a digestive aid for that reason.

Learned that from a 94 year old lady from Virginia... researched it and I agree with Tornadic about whole food nutrition and such combined with activity/exercise.

Big damn shame in my opinion so many choose to reach for a drink or a drug (or get it prescribed) before they endeavor to use the body's natural resilience to assist in health (physical and mental/emotional) - post diagnosis that is... I know in my own case, with the knowledge that I had and being unaware of what was actually going on with me pre diagnosis almost killed me.

I'm saying this because before PTSD diagnosis I was a substance abuser (alcohol) and went to recovery got sober and still had problems... that led me back to a shrink and *poof* I'm "Co-occurring behaviors PTSD and substance abuse". I about killed myself with booze, literally. But was able to swing it around and became rigid and determined to beat the shit storm that was handed to me by my bio family and ex husband.

I'm not abstinent now, but am more like Anthony... and can use moderation - with my "P's" (patience, practice, persistence, perseverance and prayer).

Kicked ass on my therapy and was only with my shrink 9 months.... but learning how to live with the quirks, twists, flame outs, and explosions without wrecking your relationships... that takes some serious doing.

Welcome.

Last edited:
@Deadman - not very long ago at all... my own church (where I've belonged for over 15 years) asked me that as I was having extra symptoms due to relocation (I was military but not combat - which was confusing to them but they didn't know my abuse history either).

Not all traumatic events are PTSD qualifying traumas, and not everyone who experiences qualifying tr...
Thank you

Re: juicing - juicing gives you the kick but the benefit of chewing (which is something I'm not ad...
Thanks, I really like this site. OH, I like the information on juicing/chewing

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back