• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Supporting depressed people

Defaultxlove

MyPTSD Pro
I got this answer from AI and I really like it (below)

Anyone else have ideas or thoughts going along with this?

Discussion encouraged im curious 🧐

——What do I do when I wanna let someone depressed know I care about them but they are moody and unresponsive.
It can be tough to support someone who's depressed when they're not being very responsive, but there are still things you can do:
  1. Be patient and persistent: Depression can make it hard for people to engage, but that doesn't mean they don't appreciate your efforts. Keep reaching out, even if they don't respond right away.
  2. Offer specific help: Instead of just saying "let me know if you need anything," offer specific things you can do to help. For example, "I'd love to bring you dinner tomorrow night."
  3. Listen without judgement: When they do open up, listen without interrupting or trying to fix their problems. Just let them know that you're there to listen and support them.
  4. Encourage them to seek professional help: Depression is a serious issue, and it's important for people to get the help they need.

Last edited by a moderator:
I adore this. Full stop.

I have a whooooooole lotta difficulty TRUSTING this, &/or anyone attempting it… so I AM attempting it, at present… will update later. Which is unfair, as colloquial data is always unfair, and up to the indivfucals involved. But? Will still update the results of my own mini-trial.

Oh I like these.

I looked after depressed people for a living, never had an issue, always felt pretty secure in what I was doing... Living with and loving depressed people, totally different ball game. It kind of shocked me how difficult I find it if I'm really honest.

I'm trying (very consciously at the minute as it's easier said than done for me) to not take their depression as a personal failure on my part... As much as my people pleasing tendencies want me to. I feel guilty virtually 100% of the time if that I was easier/ better/ more loving etc that they in turn wouldn't be as bad, therefore it's my fault.

Also remembering to keep on offering support without completely exhausting yourself. Again, very much easier said than done. After what feels like the 100th time of trying to encourage someone to wash/ eat/ change a bed when your struggling yourself with your own mental health it's hard to remember to breathe and rest yourself, then try again.

Back