• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Death Talk To Me - The recent school shooting is creating a lot of negative feeling within me

Status
Not open for further replies.

mamachick

MyPTSD Pro
The recent school shooting is creating a lot of negative feeling within me for humans in general. While its such a fraction of people that do such things, some of the garbage about it is even more hurtful.

I read a post last night on fb that insinuated that its due to de-instituionalization. Seriously!!!! Such ignorance.

Where do we even go from here? The hatred and the killings have my stomach in an uproar and I know Im not alone. Small price for any life lost-not a complaint. I am just saying how sickened I am. Gun control? Yes, but even if we started now, we are so far off. And there is such hatred that comes with this.

What are your thoughts?

My thoughts are with you and the world who are joining in the mourning, the questioning, the reality of the depravity we collectively hear about and are concerned about. This is where we are. It is a lot to absorb and yet we are not the one’s left without our children, or still having children in school where we have to daily decide if it is safe to send them. The shock waves around the world remind us that we have a shared grief, and a shared responsibility to see this end. Yet, like some other longstanding issues, there is no immediate answer or immediate resolution to show the way out, other than to remember that each individual has the opportunity to bring their best to humanity.

There's not much to say, unfortunately. We as a nation have decided that easy access to firearms is worth sacrificing the lives of children for. The Supreme Court has a current case on its docket and will probably be making firearms even easier to obtain this summer. The problem isn't likely to get any better, so perhaps your negative feelings are partly justified.

I think we have some issues with the availability of guns, but I also think focusing on just that misses part of the point. People do stuff like this for different reasons, but I wonder if there isn't a common thread. It's pretty extreme. What is it they're looking for? I'm not totally convinced these things happen because people are plain evil. Sometimes, probably. But people who just want to kill people can become serial killers and get off on killing long term. People who commit mass murder usually go down in flames. And I wonder if that's not part of the appeal. The killings that took place in Buffalo, if that guy hadn't had access to guns, he could have used a bomb. There are countries where suicide bombing happens like mass shootings happen here, are there not? The killer in TX had access to a vehicle. If he just wanted to kill a bunch of kids, he could have driven into a bunch of kids waiting for a school bus. I really think this as about more than guns. I'm not sure what, but I think we need to look at that part too.

@scout86 , agree to a point. In the UK we've had bombs and using cars to drive into people. So people will use what they have access to.
All the main bridges in London now have barriers preventing someone from driving into people again. So , now we know that was a method, we did something to try and prevent it (or at least make people feel a bit safer).
Although it doesn't tackle the underlying reason behind the motivation, which is your point. Which is really challenging.
Reducing the means in which people can carry out these barbaric acts has got to help though. America has a terrible record of mass shootings. I don't understand the resistance to gun control.

I gave up on people 5 or 6 years ago. I tried and tried, but humanity shows its real face every damn day.
In the initial aftermath of a tragedy like this, this makes sense to me. The grief and frustration is immense.

But when that initial period has passed, I think it's important that we continue to strive for more. That we continue to seek better from our fellow humans.

Because, the victims here were children. Children killed senselessly when they went to school. We have to not give up and demanding better when the lives at stake are innocent children, who did nothing more than go to school. If we abandon trying to keep our children safe, that's an incredibly dark day for us. The things that happened to me, that aren't acceptable, have to be motivation for change, not a reason to give up.

I'd be interested to hear about the changes that have come about from striving more.

I'd be interested, too.

As my other thread indicated, I'm struggling similarly. And what I've observed over the last decades, partly as a contemporary witness, is that we as a people strive for more, advance, improve, make progress... only to fall back into the exact same old.

Point in case? The current abortion shitshow in the US that we had thought overcome decades ago. Another one? Increasing laws against LGBTQ+ not only in the US but many other countries as well.

So yes, absolutely, we *should* strive for more. We *should* try to do better and be better and make the world a better and safer place if not for us, at least ofr our children. But from everything I've seen and lived and learned, including centuries of history as a reference frame, all those efforts are - at the end of the ady - rather pointless.

I'm an environmental scientist studying things directly impacted by climate change. I remember climate change being a concern when I was like 5. Yet, look where we are, 30 years later... so pardon my pessimism and increasing understanding that all those well-meant good-hearted opptimistic efforts by a *lot* of people are not exactly making any difference...

the changes that have come about from striving more.
The presence of non-binary children in my classroom who are given dignity and autonomy by the entire school and teachers who actively advocate for those students is an example of a change that I see which came about from striving more.

The election of women of color and people in other minority classes to positions in government is a significant change that came about from striving more.

The increase in the availability of organic foods at stores which serve low income residents is a change that came about from striving more.

I think we have some issues with the availability of guns, but I also think focusing on just that misses part of the point. People do stuff like this for different reasons, but I wonder if there isn't a common thread. It's pretty extreme. What is it they're looking for? I'm not totally convinced these things happen because people are plain evil. Sometimes, probably. But people who just want to kill people can become serial killers and get off on killing long term. People who commit mass murder usually go down in flames. And I wonder if that's not part of the appeal. The killings that took place in Buffalo, if that guy hadn't had access to guns, he could have used a bomb. There are countries where suicide bombing happens like mass shootings happen here, are there not? The killer in TX had access to a vehicle. If he just wanted to kill a bunch of kids, he could have driven into a bunch of kids waiting for a school bus. I really think this as about more than guns. I'm not sure what, but I think we need to look at that part too.
I think there is a difference. Suicide bombings and car incidents of other forms of terrorism are very sadly without borders. They’ve happened on more than one continent ( with obvious focus on the greatest perceived enemies of the groups who ndoctrinate people to do this). . School shootings or mass murders committed by students are an almost uniquely US phenomenon. Yes, children elsewhere have mental illness. Commit crimes, and truly heinous ones . But daily school shootings? Teachers and children having drills and plans for such violence? That’s not normal outside war zones .

There are some absolutely phenomenal things about the US school system imo - but this single aspect is so shocking . SO shocking . Perhaps as trauma victims we also are likely to down play how weird it is to have safety plans for such in our lives - but it’s not normal. It’s just not a part of daily life for kids in most other parts of the world out side war zones or where equal rights are established.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back