Terrified of asking for more therapy sessions (3x a week)

I’ve been in therapy for 10 months that has mostly been once a week, and more recently twice a week. I have never felt safer as I have in our sessions and as a result, pretty significant and severe childhood trauma that has been buried has recently emerged. It’s been very overwhelming. I am currently dealing with severe physical symptoms that are probably related to the trauma. As such, I’m home bound and unable to work. As I live with my parents, daily interactions can be triggering, and due to various circumstances my social circle is not very present or supportive. I do have a couple people I try to interact with, and my dog, but it can sometimes still be triggering.

As such, I’ve been wanting to ask for more sessions, three times a week for the upcoming month, just to feel more supported. My therapist is cautious not to do too much processing in each session, and focuses on regulation of my nervous system. I’m so terrified of asking her for more sessions in case I’m being too much.

We talked about over reliance before and at that time when I did 3x a week at an ad hoc basis, she thought it was ok. Also, I am able to afford this frequency. Wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar?

When I’m paying for therapy my standard is 2 double sessions a week.
2 days x 120 minute sessions.

The most I’ve ever done were 4 double-doubles per week (trial prep).
4 days x 120 minutes + 120 minutes.

- IOP (Intensive Out Patient) - Daily, for up to a half day.
Some hospitals have 3 shifts of this; 8-12, 12-4, 4-8.
- PHP (Partial Hospitalization) - Daily, half to full day; nights & weekends home.
- Inpatient
= More options for Increased levels of care

I’ve done therapy up to 5 times a week in the past - although that was with multiple different therapists offering different types of support, and it was an alternative to staying as an inpatient for long periods of time.

There’s no rule book when it comes to how much, or how often with therapy. Do what works for you.

That said - with the benefit of hindsight? There’s a lot to be said for finding an alternative. Like a hobby, or club, that involves interacting with a group of people. For example, taking an art or language class once a week, at the time when you would have gone to therapy for a third time, and approaching it as an alternative therapy method.

That’s going to build up your brain-muscles for building relationships, and coping skills, in a more diverse way, and broaden your support network.

‘Supports’ don’t have to be people that you can sit down with and talk about hard stuff. Supports can also be people who you wouldn’t talk to about traumatic themes, but who, in their own way, offer an environment that you feel safe, or helps you deal with your distress levels in some way.

Back