• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

The Herb & Supplement Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I just found out my newest blood test results - ferritin and folate seem low :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I just looked that up on google since Im here working, I looked around, Im not sure about it actually.
It looks like the B12 is still on normal range but maybe not the follate.
What did your doc say?
Pernicious anemia is something you have to try control if you have it!

Doctor wasnt in, it was the receptionist I spoke to on the phone. Yeah ferritin and folate both seem low, b12 looks ok according to Google. I guess just eat more iron foods? I read iron supplements might be a bad idea?

@cj, since you didn't specify ml or anything after those number it is hard to tell.

Keep in mind low folate can mimic many ptsd symptoms So for example, my folate results from yesterday were 4.1 ng/mL My b12 is 312 pg/mL my ferritin is 4 ng/mL but that is how my lab measure it. Your lab may using different measuring system.

Ok, thanks @Fadeaway. Yeah it might be a different system, the receptionist only read the numbers not any ml or anything after it. It's the first time I've ever asked so I wasn't too sure what I was meant to be looking for :confused: I've had several symptoms of pernicious anemia since around March (I tried effexor for three days but couldn't cope, my head felt like it was being punched with some force, I have never had such bad headaches in my life so I stopped and haven't felt quite right ever since) I'm still dizzy and breathless but not as bad as the past few months. My tingling and stabbing leg pains are gone, no headaches, reduced palpitations and my lunulae are very gradually reappearing.

:hug: I wish I'd never tried it. The headaches were pretty soon after, I also experienced an odd change in my personality for those 3 days. I don't think so, it seems more likely I had already been a little low on iron and b12 anyway and it's pushed it right over the edge, I read it can interfere with b12 absorption especially. I have read up on serotonin syndrome but it doesn't quite fit with the symptoms I had, whereas pernicious anemia fit perfectly. Either way I won't be touching any meds for some time. I prefer the natural route.

I just recently started on the supplement route. I’m currently taking...

Magnesium
B12
D3
Vitamin C
Iron
L-theanine
L-Tyrosine
5HTP

The last few were just added so I’m not sure how well they work.

Apparently I’m anemic as when I added in iron, my HORRIBLY depressive symptoms vanished overnight. (I went from non-functioning to able to handle a full day of activity.)

I know that it would be best to improve my diet, but given that I’m often nauseous and eat little, I’ve gotta go with supplements.

I take a bunch of vitamins and minerals, I tell my Dr. what I am taking and my blood tests come out OK. The thing that is low usually is sodium though. That is because at least one of my meds usually causes that problem. So I add salt to my diet and drink buttermilk. I feel OK, not perfect, but I have Lyme Disease, so that is to be expected, I guess.

I am on Ashwagandha since a couple of weeks which is helpful.
On Vitamin D, B , and Magnesium.
All kinds of seeds and nuts...regularly, trying to keep the intestinal flora on a good condition, which means every couple of weeks I take probiotics or eating fleaseeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back