• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Unwaining fog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dartaniam345

New Here
Hi everyone, how are you all doing ?

So... Brain fogging or whatever it's called now, I feel constantly surrounded by it.
I doze off while eating and start hearing everything feebly, get triggered by even the slightest bit of criticism, but still can't properly articulate. Speaking with my family feels like swimming in bitumen. I can't make sense of myself, they can't understand what I say and I can't make it understandable.
Every word ends up covered with so many preconceptions that I feel are obvious, bit apparently aren't.
I just feel impaired, always foggy, always trying to make me understandable.
The meds helps as long as anything triggering happens, then I just close up. Today I got told again that I'm falling it for attention, and can't argue otherwise because my mother doesn't listen and/or understand.
I figured that always being told off made me this foggy.
But now it just feels like an ever increasing impearment.
I feel surrounded by fog and everything I say gets filtered of by it.

How does it go away? What do you do to better it ?

Thanks for reading. Have a good day.

Still called Brain Fog… but it will probably help a lot to know that it’s a type of Disassociation / a way to describe a type of Dissociating.

Mod Note : Which is why I’ve moved this thread to Disassociation, Depersonalization & Derealization. Any Q’s about the move, or for help editing the title, etc. just hit us up over at Contact Us 😁

Back to posting as a member….

The good news? There are a whole helluva lot of different ways to start managing disassociation. Most of them take practice, which is kind of awesome in it’s own way; because no matter how difficult they are now? They get easier! And work better/faster the more one uses them. I’ll let other members pick up that torch talking about the actual ways & means though, and prolly be back after while, as I’m being called away.

Still called Brain Fog… but it will probably help a lot to know that it’s a type of Disassociation / a way to describe a type of Dissociating.

Mod Note : Which is why I’ve moved this thread to Disassociation, Depersonalization & Derealization. Any Q’s about the move, or for help editing the title, etc. just hit us up over at Contact Us 😁

Back to posting as a member….

The good news? There are a whole helluva lot of different ways to start managing disassociation. Most of them take practice, which is kind of awesome in it’s own way; because no matter how difficult they are now? They get easier! And work better/faster the more one uses them. I’ll let other members pick up that torch talking about the actual ways & means though, and prolly be back after while, as I’m being called away.
Oh, sorry for posting in a wrong forum and thanks for the heads up!
Finally I can try to categorize and explain the things that have been happening to me and this forum has been a real help so far.
I should be starting a cognitive reinforcement and re training company soon with my therapist.
Perhaps we will engage in this spehere more.
Thanks and sorry again !

Hiya :) something you can google for help with dissociation is grounding tools, maybe grounding tools for dissociation. There are lots of different kinds of grounding tools, some will suit you well and some won't at all. So the thing is to try out lots of them.

When I was learning which grounding tools helped me I kept a journal on it. Just listed which tool I tried, in what situatiin and gave it a plus or minus score out of 5 for how much it helped me.

Made it a practise to try out a grounding tool every morning too, whether I needed it or not. Because usually when you really need grounding tools you're least likely to remember to try them out.

Practising them everyday kind of puts them into muscle memory so to speak.

I'm sorry you're Mom sounds really difficult to talk to.

I can sometimes find it easier putting someth8ng into wtiting to give someone, eg a therapists, if I can't manage to say something.

Welcome :)

I used to be incredibly dissociated. All the time. I used the color tool by picking a color and finding all the things that had that color in the room. Then picking another on and on. Lol, I just used it because I was becoming dissociated. There is also a 5 senses one that I'm not too familiar with. A great workbook that really helped me with dissociation is The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Workbook: Practical DBT Exercises and can be found on Amazon. Good luck!

Have you seen your doctor lately? There are things like thyroid that can cause brain fog as well. Best to make sure that stuff is all working right as it undergoes a lot of strain from PTSD.

Have you seen your doctor lately? There are things like thyroid that can cause brain fog as well. Best to make sure that stuff is all working right as it undergoes a lot of strain from PTSD.
since the diagnosis arrived i have yet to see my general pratictioner. it has been only a week or so that my ptsd diagnosis was made official. I would have never guessed that ptsd can cause probllems with the thyroid, thanks for the heads up!
Hiya :) something you can google for help with dissociation is grounding tools, maybe grounding tools for dissociation. There are lots of different kinds of grounding tools, some will suit you well and some won't at all. So the thing is to try out lots of them.
thanks you very much for the advice! i've done some googling and it looks like something i started doing without knowing if that makes sense. everytime i gey into a dissiociative state and i'm able to recognize that, i end up playing chess. That's something my therapist told me to do as it activates my fronta lobe. tomorrow i'll have my next therapy session so i'll prop up the discussion again.
As for my mother, i can understand why she says so. having herself never meddled in this kind of stuff she holds a view that this is similar to a cold that i have to shake off myself.

I will post updates about this, i hope that this thread may become another place to discuss brain fog.
Thank you all for the replies, best regards.

I do not have any tools [ realize after all I do have tools] or meds to ever overcome brain fog or dissociation and never even knew I had one for almost 40+ yrs until therapy. I find the most interesting thing to be becoming conscious of it. That came in therapy. Now that I know I do not do anything (I may get frustrated if it is coming the wrong time like interview yikes) but I find I have zero control over it except to wait it out AND learn more about me when I am not foggy. So I have something to look for - being out of the foggy. That hope of I will pass and be foggy free carries me over. I also share with my husband that I am not in the right frame of mind today or these days and he goes about his business not waiting on me to be ON!

I also journal to write all the things I did not get or thought were "attack" and re-read when I am back online to make sense and sometimes it saddens me what I misunderstood (I see deeper meanings for me) and sometimes I laugh cause it is what it is.
On a side note, and this is probably my quirk side. I find the deep foggy brain dead times so interesting because it is like dimmed consciousness and I feel at least at minimum I sort of know at least 2 different consciousness and still doing everything like everybody else. I know (not bragging but gotta find gem in the shit) that a lot of people who do not have this thing would freak out and go mad or into psychosis (and I know these are also true for people like me as well - we all have our moments) but here I am in and out of two different consciousness and still catching up with everybody! I am trying to see it a joke on what is consciousness really? layers and layers and I am active in at least two...some people may even have more...if we are not so pathologizing and make it more validating, I think many of us would be more open about it in our groups and be accepted.
I know dreaming of utopia! but so what.

I am sorry if I am not providing a real solution but just know you are not alone.

since the diagnosis arrived i have yet to see my general pratictioner. it has been only a week or so that my ptsd diagnosis was made official. I would have never guessed that ptsd can cause probllems with the thyroid, thanks for the heads up!
Not just that. They have links now between PTSD and autoimmune diseases, thyroid levels are tied to some of those and so is brain fog.

The difference between PTSD and autoimmune problems are that some autoimmune problems left untreated will kill you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back