• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Research Updated - Participate in a study to understand daily emotions and PTSD symptoms

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Shaan McGhie

I am a graduate student in the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences at Harvard University working on a study that seeks to better understand the experiences of trauma survivors. This study has been approved by the Committee on the Use of Human Subjects at Harvard University.
The study includes answering some questions and downloading the LifeData app on your phone This is a free app. Then, the app on will prompt you 5 times a day to answer a brief (10 item) survey that takes about 1 minute to complete. At the end of two weeks, the study will be over. You can receive up to $25 as an Amazon gift card for participating in this study, and if you do 90% or more of the at-home surveys, you’ll be entered in a raffle to win one of three $200 amazon gift cards.
A few important things to know about the study are:
  1. All information collected will be kept completely confidential.
  2. Participation is voluntary. The link we provide will send you to a website that asks some questions to determine whether you are eligible to participate. If you are eligible, we will provide you with a description of the study and you can decide whether or not you want to participate. Also, if you start to participate and decide you no longer feel comfortable or are no longer interested, you can end your participation without any penalty or punishment.
  3. This study will include only trauma survivors fluent in English who are 18+ years old and own a smartphone.
  4. We will also provide links to treatment and informational resources throughout the study.

To participate, copy and paste the following URL into your browser search bar:
https://tinyurl.com/trauma-emotions
If you are not interested in participating but you know someone who might be, please feel free to forward this information and the link to the study.

All went well until I tried to download the LifePak for the app and was told that I either had to log in or sign in to do so. This wasn't reflected in the instructions, and I don't really want to create an account, so I gave up from there.

All went well until I tried to download the LifePak for the app and was told that I either had to log in or sign in to do so. This wasn't reflected in the instructions, and I don't really want to create an account, so I gave up from there.

Hi, I am sorry that that happened! I have edited it so that it can be downloaded without an account, the settings were off. If you are still interested, the LifePak should be available for you to download now. Thank you!

Also, you couldn't email the instructions to yourself because you had to enter a study ID, which was not provided as far as I could figure out.

I can't continue because I don't remember what the pass phrase is for the LifePak, and I wasn't able to email the instructions to myself.

I've been told by the questionnaire that I'm not eligible. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also, just as a fellow scientist, I'm a little concerned about how representative two weeks of monitoring are during the current general state of emergency, but I'm sure you have advisors to discuss this question with :)

Good luck with your research.

Also, you couldn't email the instructions to yourself because you had to enter a study ID, which was not provided as far as I could figure out.

I can't continue because I don't remember what the pass phrase is for the LifePak, and I wasn't able to email the instructions to myself.

Thanks again for your feedback! I am still working out the kinks on this and trying to make it more user-friendly. The study ID is given at the end of the survey in the instructions about downloading the app. I'll make it more clear to find for future participants. I'm not sure how to direct message on this forum (seems not available?) otherwise I could send you that information. :(

I've been told by the questionnaire that I'm not eligible. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also, just as a fellow scientist, I'm a little concerned about how representative two weeks of monitoring are during the current general state of emergency, but I'm sure you have advisors to discuss this question with :)

Good luck with your research.

Thanks for your interest in the study and sorry that you are not eligible. Yes, I think that this being the time that it is will certainly be a limitation I'll note when I publish the study, but wouldn't invalidate our design. Thank you!

There is no direct messaging here, sorry.

Ok here is my email. I've just put a link to a picture of it so that I can delete it later and it's not on this forum forever. If you email me, I can send you that information! Thanks for your patience!

<link removed>

Last edited by a moderator:
Then, the app on will prompt you 5 times a day to answer a brief (10 item) survey that takes about 1 minute to complete.

Do you have to answer right when prompted? I'm still working so curious about how this will work while still working.

Also, sort of worried about downloading just any app. Any assurance this app won't want all my info on my phone? What permissions does it want on an android?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back