• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

News Us politics - read first post before comment

Status
Not open for further replies.
what's behind Mitt Romney's motivation and stance

Not to mention Cofer Black, Ukraine connections and the fact that he begged to be POTUS's Secretary of State... but didn't get the job. Very swampy. Be sure to see Beck's last livestream (last night) on Ukraine... he's getting ready to crack the nut on China next.

Much going on today... Watch Grassley.

Okay since I've asked twice but a pandemic is a worthy topic for the US political thread.... China's signaling surrender due to economic woes. And there will be global ramifications. That is US political news. China is looking to ease tariffs and is signaling the US to come to terms in light of the new developments/virus.

"We noted on Wednesday night, two-thirds of the Chinese economy has effectively shut down much of its production capacity, crippling supply chains critical to keep not only the second-largest economy in the world humming, but the entire world.
Former Morgan Stanley Asia chairman Stephen Roach warned last week that the global economy could already be in a period of vulnerability, where an exogenous shock, such as the coronavirus, could be the trigger for the next worldwide recession.
Goldman Sachs has warned that virus outbreak could reduce Chinese GDP growth in 1Q by 1.6% in year-over-year terms, or 6.4% in quarter-on-quarter annual rate terms, resulting in a sub-5% GDP 1Q print. A growth shock in China will be felt across the world as the virus has severed supply chains."
Link: Supply Chain Shock – Here's The Most Exposed S&P500 Industries To China

Just in case truth seekers here on the site are wondering
I think I'd be more impressed if the article didn't insist on calling him "Unfit Mit" and the site didn't also include stories about things like 9/11 really being a Zionist plot. I'd also be more likely to think it credible if the creators of the site identified themselves somewhere and spoke a bit about their background and credentials. I looked, couldn't find anything. Maybe I just missed it.

but isn't the point of the STOU for the president to address the nation as a whole?
Exactly. And here's where I know I probably have trouble sorting through what's him being an ass and what's me being triggered. To me, the speech sounded like something that was designed to be cheered by his base and further piss off people who don't agree with him. I think he has a perfect right to defend himself and a perfect right to blow his own horn. But I don't think it's necessary to name call etc in the process. For example, when speaking about the economy, I don't have a problem with him claiming some credit for the fact that the economy has continued to be good during his term in office. And that's "good" when you set aside the fact that wages for regular folks have been flat since I was in high school (a LONG time ago!) and the gap between the rich and not rich continues to get wider.

I have a bit of a problem with him acting like he's totally responsible, because the numbers were good when he took office. Near as I can tell, he didn't fix anything (other than tax breaks for the "poor abused rich") he just didn't blow it up. That's good, mind you. He can sure have credit for it, but to claim it's all him & his regime? Well, that's one of those things that's bound to annoy the opposition and I suspect that's exactly what he's trying to do.
was giving the reigning political party to bypass our courts when deciding what words can constitute "hate speech".
THAT sounds like a truly horrible idea! I really think the start of a lot of problems is WITH political parties. They have too much power.
Considering we live in a world where using using too much black face paint for a Halloween costume constitutes a hate crime,
This is a topic, for sure! On the one hand, I totally get that other people's experiences are different than mine and things might bother them that I don't get. And maybe there are things I need to learn so I DO get it. On the other hand, it seems to be getting to a point, at least in some settings, where things escalate to "hate crime" when maybe it should just be a "teachable moment". And, even within ethnic groups, I think people differ in how they react to this stuff. I think, bottom line, people should treat each other with respect (even if they don't deserve it?).

Has anyone else looked at different sites fact checking the state of the union address yet? Some points are upheld across sites , others are not.

This is a topic, for sure! On the one hand, I totally get that other people's experiences are different than mine and things might bother them that I don't get. And maybe there are things I need to learn so I DO get it. On the other hand, it seems to be getting to a point, at least in some settings, where things escalate to "hate crime" when maybe it should just be a "teachable moment". And, even within ethnic groups, I think people differ in how they react to this stuff. I think, bottom line, people should treat each other with respect (even if they don't deserve it?).
I certainly have had to move my boundaries a lot. And as I move between continents I have to remember that somethings have different cultural background in different places.

I find black face offensive NOW. I found Trudeau’s explanation that he had done it, learned, understood more, grown - thoroughly acceptable.

I have some inherited things that are incredibly culturally insensitive but that I view differently and sentimentally. If I viewed them in the problematic way or a defiant way I would definitely be finding a problem with myself. But I recognise they have a different sentiment to ME than they do to cultural acceptance. I keep them in my room, a private place ; not because I am ashamed of them but because I understand the meaning is different and highly fairly so for others. I would- were in to bring world peace- gladly sacrifice my personal momentos.

Today I wondered if it were cultural appropriation to turn some beautiful saris I have into curtains. I love them, but - they have no use in my life now. I had JUST finished deciding it was not worth the risk of hurting people over something I do not fully understand. It would be arrogant to insist. I do have lots of old clothes from decades ago made from sari silk and know many are still made for export in india. I am ok with wearing what is already owned. Because - waste, and still beauty. Love of skill, admiration. But I would not wear a sari unless invited too by friends for whom it was appropriate to offer the invitation for an occasion.

Just in case truth seekers here on the site are wondering what's behind Mitt Romney's motivation and stance, this article...
I’m not a fan of Mitt Romney, but I see a lot of problems with this article. I personally would not call it unbiased news but an opinion piece, at best, with a clear far right bias. It lists a lot of things as “crimes” that are not crimes and has some phrases that are not common except among alt right groups. It might be helpful to look more into some of the terms the site is using such as the stated mission of the site to bring down globalists. That term itself can be a very loaded term. You may want to look into it further: The Origins of the 'Globalist' Slur

Here is a fact checker about the site: American Intelligence Media - Media Bias/Fact Check

Not sure if this is something people can see, where those of us, who aren't ever going to identify with left wing politics (and believe me, I spent nearly 40 years there and have only recently had my "walk away".) . If anything, instead of calling everyone and anyone who supports the results of the 2016 election and believes that there is "a swamp", "alt right" "a zenaphobe" and other slurs, maybe just look into alternative opinions, history and see current events as they are, rather than how the mainstream media portrays it.

Here is another article describing what the "globalists" have been up to and why we don't trust them.

<link removed>

Here is another article describing what the "globalists" have been up to...
I am not someone who is on the left by any means. The article you posted comes from National File. Here is a description of the quality of information that can be found at National File: National File - Media Bias/Fact Check This is an "extreme right" website, even further right than AIM. Tom Pappert, editor, is known for his appearances on Info Wars. I do not find these sources to be reliable. Again, I am not a "leftist." Most on the right do not find these Info Wars quality sites to be reliable.

And while we're taking this break - lets review some facts:

From the very first post in this thread:
Before you comment: It is against the law in most countries to write and/or publish hate speech. Your account will be terminated if you engage in illegal activity here. Laws have caught up with online activity now, and moving fast daily. Social networks globally are now engaged in deleting and enforcing hate speech, removing users and reporting such accounts to law enforcement. Don't do it.

Otherwise, talk about US politics in this thread all you want, within the above confines; vent your frustrations carefully, in other words.
From MyPTSD's Legal Policy:
Forums and Chat Pages: Forums are provided for Your exchange of lawful, relevant, fair and appropriate information, opinions and comment. Use of the Forums that is inconsistent with those stated purposes or which is otherwise disallowed under these terms of use is prohibited. We have the right, but not the obligation, to monitor or edit Forum content or Forum materials, and may do so at any time, including but not limited to the course of normal maintenance of the website and its systems or in the good-faith belief that such action is necessary to: (1) comply with the law or comply with legal process served on Us; (2) protect and defend the legitimate business interests, rights or property of Us, Our users, advertisers, customers, sponsors, advertisers or affiliates; or (3) act in an emergency to protect the personal safety of Our guests or the public. You shall remain solely responsible for the content of Your communications.
To be perfectly clear: The forum is under no obligation to host this thread. This thread is here to designate a space for members to post their thoughts and opinions on various topics orbiting US Politics. Those posts only need to:
  1. Fall within the very straightforward terms and conditions of the website
  2. Abide by any guidelines set out by administrators or staff.
It's not that f*cking complicated, is it?

The thread will stay locked for the time being. If you've got something to say to me, say it via contact us

And please: no comments on other parts of the site about how this is censorship, or biased, or bullshit. It's not censorship, it's not biased, and if you think it's bullshit then say your piece via the appropriate channels.

If you can't do that, then take a break.

National voting turnout hovers near 30% of all eligible voters here in the USA during presidential elections. Much, much lower for midterm elections.

There are a lot of reasons for this. Registration is difficult in many states and is set up to disallow certain minorities from registering in many states even now. Voting always takes place on a Tuesday, and in some states the polls are only open during working hours. If you have to work and can't vote, too bad. You can get an absentee ballot but again in many states it's a pain. For awhile, some states expanded their voting by several days but most of them that had done so have restricted them to a single day again.

And a lot of people think that voting just doesn't matter and doesn't make any real difference anyway.

The effect of our voting rules and attitudes limits actual voters to political junkies, people who really support one candidate, and white elderly people.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back