• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Verbal Vomit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mytai

MyPTSD Pro
I see T tomorrow afternoon, not sure if I will get the extra session I asked for. We will see when tomorrow comes I guess.

Verbal vomit... I have this huge "need" to just spill my heart out to T tomorrow. Is there some kind of common curtesy in regards to that? Do I warn T about the upcoming verbal vomit? How do you warn a T about that? Is it even necessary to do it?

I love your honesty, your needs (because I am similar at times, and I like how you are aware that there are some 'expected' client behaviors/nuances of therapy. I didn't understand the therapy parlor rules, for many years.

From my experiences, I would answer, "Yes," to your question. I've found that therapists find that they like it when I demonstrate that I know I am in relationship to another human being-the therapist, treat them with cordial behavior, and in doing so, know that the therapist has certain expectations and needs, like I do (only they aren't suppose to tell me unless there is a need to). For example, my current T gets concerned that my voice may get too loud for the therapist next door and their clients. So I just make appointments when the other therapist isn't there.

I'd simply let your therapist know your needs, and see what they say. And make a plan, if the therapist wants to interrupt you, what do you want your therapist to do? Truly, I have had to do this-make a plan. Some therapists can let me go on a verbal spree and wait until I am done. Other therapists can't; they get annoyed, like I am not 'letting them into the conversation".

Good luck!

I think many of us have a lot to say when it's been a week or more. You go there to share with your therapist so as long as you are communicating in a respectful way (not yelling or using profanities) I think it's totally fine expected even. Some weeks are more and some less but you can't do deep work if you are holding back all you have to say. Maybe pause every now and then through your story to let her comment. Therapists are trained to find themes and direction in our stories and control the conversation so therapy can get done. You just go be open with her. Something my T does sometimes if I'm talking without taking a break or she's sensing anxiety is she will sit back and take a deep breath and it makes me slow down and breath if I had forgotten to. It's okay therapists are trained to handle a lot of information at a time.

That need to vent a lot I think is a really positive sign. Sure you can let your therapist know. Of course you can. Then fire away.

Giving voice to your troubles is part of a circle. The pain went into your brain originally through the hot system, the one that handles fear. When you speak about it with a T, the pain of the trauma comes out, then it comes back where it gets integrated into your memory banks through your brain's cool system. That's part of recovery!

I say, go with what your GUT knows needs to come out. As long as you are safe about letting it out verbally, I'd say Go for it. I think our intuition lets us know when it's time to let our T's know the REAL, you! That's what you are both there for. Let it out, puke it out, mainly just get it out! It can be VERY
free-ing!

Verbal vomit wasn't that bad, only small chunks. I never cut T off but I wasn't done a thought, and she thought I was and I just continued right on. Bless T for being an awesome person and letting me blow/vent. Also Bless T for granting me another session this week, I asked (in an email on Sunday) and she scheduled me in for Friday. I think T got a small idea of just how much I'm struggling right now.

Glad it went well! I have had plenty of those verbal vomit sessions myself lately. Hoping Friday goes equally as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back