• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Wellness and Recovery Options - Post Your Peer Support Training Links/Resources Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

shimmerz

MyPTSD Pro
Back not so long ago, I was in a really bad way. Psychiatrists, psychologists, therapists, so many types of therapy I had. None of them quite did it for me. Psychiatrists pilled me, told me to get used to being a non-functioning human being. Psychologists helped me understand how I ended up so f*cked up. Therapists tried to 'behaviour-ize' me to someone I had never been and by rights never really wanted to be.

During my lowest of lows, I stumbled across a mental health culture that I was really able to grab onto. It was called Wellness and Recovery. It turned my entire life around. The Copeland Centre has a program called WRAP (Wellness Recovery Action Plan) that helps to develop awareness and recovery style habits that can really improve symptoms. Problem is, for those of us in this deep who are suffering from the inevitable poverty that goes along with severe mental health issues, that can be a stretch. If it isn't, I highly recommend the course.

If I can recommend, there are some courses out there that train people in Peer Support. Some of these courses are funded by local governments through mental health agencies. My biggest stumbling block was being able to find work again. I now teach a 6 month long peer support course to students. It is fascinating to watch the growth of the students as they progress. Honestly, if you are struggling in what your purpose is, and if this type of work is of interest to you, it is worth looking up.

I just found something on Pat Deegan. She was diagnosed as schizophrenic at 17 years old. After dropping into the MH big black hole she remade herself and was trained as a psychiatrist and has dedicated her life to help those with a MH label to reimagine and re-empower themselves. She has a website out there. I won't put the link in - you can look it up for yourselves. I get no financial gain from mentioning her just to be clear. Her course I believe can be taken online. I believe it is 20.00 US per month. I expect one can take the course and just stop paying for the membership if they are financially strapped. I expect she is offering this so the financially disadvantaged can get to her information. She has a tremendous piece on self-advocacy as well in the course that may be very helpful to some.

I wanted to put these ideas out to the audience here because I think that Wellness and Recovery model is very well hidden for whatever reason. For any of you looking for a different angle to your healing, I would suggest these two things or look up, in your area Mental Health Wellness and Recovery.

I hope this is helpful to some.

Could I ask please, if anyone is aware of peer support training out there, would you mind posting it in this thread please?

Back not so long ago, I was in a really bad way. Psychiatrists, psychologists, therapists, so many types of therapy I had. None of them quite did it for me. Psychiatrists pilled me, told me to get used to being a non-functioning human being. Psychologists helped me understand how I ended up so f*cked up. Therapists tried to 'behaviour-ize' me to someone I had never been and by rights never really wanted to be.

During my lowest of lows, I stumbled across a mental health culture that I was really able to grab onto. It was called Wellness and Recovery. It turned my entire life around. The Copeland Centre has a program called WRAP (Wellness Recovery Action Plan) that helps to develop awareness and recovery style habits that can really improve symptoms. Problem is, for those of us in this deep who are suffering from the inevitable poverty that goes along with severe mental health issues, that can be a stretch. If it isn't, I highly recommend the course.

If I can recommend, there are some courses out there that train people in Peer Support. Some of these courses are funded by local governments through mental health agencies. My biggest stumbling block was being able to find work again. I now teach a 6 month long peer support course to students. It is fascinating to watch the growth of the students as they progress. Honestly, if you are struggling in what your purpose is, and if this type of work is of interest to you, it is worth looking up.

I just found something on Pat Deegan. She was diagnosed as schizophrenic at 17 years old. After dropping into the MH big black hole she remade herself and was trained as a psychiatrist and has dedicated her life to help those with a MH label to reimagine and re-empower themselves. She has a website out there. I won't put the link in - you can look it up for yourselves. I get no financial gain from mentioning her just to be clear. Her course I believe can be taken online. I believe it is 20.00 US per month. I expect one can take the course and just stop paying for the membership if they are financially strapped. I expect she is offering this so the financially disadvantaged can get to her information. She has a tremendous piece on self-advocacy as well in the course that may be very helpful to some.

I wanted to put these ideas out to the audience here because I think that Wellness and Recovery model is very well hidden for whatever reason. For any of you looking for a different angle to your healing, I would suggest these two things or look up, in your area Mental Health Wellness and Recovery.

I hope this is helpful to some.

Could I ask please, if anyone is aware of peer support training out there, would you mind posting it in this thread please?

Wow! Thank you for sharing!

pros have contributed some of the brains, but peer support has been the heart and soul of my personal recovery from child prostitution. i swear by the concept. nobody can help puzzle through these issues like someone who has been experiencing them first hand.

i checked into peer support training back when it was newly formalized into paid positions and tracked it out of curiosity for an unmeasured while. at that time, the pay was far less than i was already earning, so the certification didn't interest me much. your post reminded me that the last time i checked in was 2013 when my youngest son was interested in becoming certified for formal, paid positions.

a few minutes ago i typed "peer support training" into google and netted over 499 million results. it appears that there is no shortage of options.

I did an internship at 7 Cups of Tea a few years ago && still volunteer there. Their listener modules are a bit bare bones, but it's on-par with what they teach crisis hotline workers. 7Cups is more of a "warmline" but its ease of access && the fact that it is over text & you can set your own schedules for taking chats really works for me. The number one tip they drill in is don't offer advice. I struggle with this sometimes ("here's what I'd do!" 😖) but have still maintained positive reviews.

There is Adult Survivors of Child Abuse (ASCA) ASCA Support They offer training to become a group leader.

There is no pay. There is no cost to be trained and the group leaders are not paid.
There is a pdf file available for their training. It is about 120 pages long. For some reason I couldn't get to it on their site so I did a google search for the document "Survivor to Thriver pdf" and was able to hit it. This is a great resource, @fenestrate! Thank you so much for this.

Here's the link to Copeland Center's WRAP program. copelandcenter.com/wellness-recovery-action-plan-wrap

There's also a 4-wk seminar starting Dec 1 to make your own WRAP (and is required if you eventually want to become a peer support counselor). Cost $399. Scholarships offered via application.
I think people can get value out of the book which is substantially cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back