• πŸ’– [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] πŸ’– Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

What are you good at???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Imitate other people, changing voices, Do accents and being spontaneous = like playing soccer with kids and they laughing at me because my pants fell ( Happend only once)
πŸ˜‚

I am also good at imitations but I have to be careful about my imitating. I was in speech therapy for years and so I tend to unintentionally pick up accents from people that I should not talk like. My Japanese friend, Yuki, was one such example. I was not conscious of trying to sound Japanese but it became a thing and then I had to lose my Japanese accent. Living in New Mexico, now, I have been fighting it pretty hard.

Walking sticks are the "in" thing, I've seen some unique ones.
I'm trying to lose my cane for the long haul at present because I have issues with my shoulders, too, and can't really use the cane without making my shoulder hurt, so I am avoiding walking sticks for that reason. If it weren't for that, I might use one as my cane does help with the pain in my leg. Though, a lot of what is going on now is that my body is doing wonky things to compensate and I am trying to pay close attention and engage the right things at the right time which wouldn't work with a stick or cane as well, either. Paying attention to my body is a whole new world for me but I am trying.

I made one and sold it. It was decorated with a few horses and wagons and inlaid with small flat stones collected from the Donner Trail and inscribed with Virginia Reed's quote, "Don't take no cutoffs".
That sounds like a very inspirational walking stick! πŸ˜† I love it!

It makes me feel free as a bird. I didn't want to let that part of my life fade away, even if it meant pain and suffering (by choice). Something in me couldn't give it up, I couldn't let go. The real enjoyment was always spinning at home, no pressure. It's been a huge part of overcoming depression and fitness in general.
That is awesome. I think it is a real testimony to your strength in the horrible ordeal you have been through. Lots of people give up on what they love when things get hard. And the cyr wheel is hard for anyone!

The older we get, the more our bodies rebel.
I really got myself into a mess last year and never has the above statement been more true to me. I never imagined spending this much time in PT and still not being back to the way I was - quite a wake-up call. Apparently, my body needs to be taken care of. Who knew? There needs to be a complete behavioral overhaul here or I probably won't be walking at 55. But I didn't know I had been born with hip dysplasia, so I just pretended I was invincible until it became obvious that I was really not alright. And by that time, I was a lot less alright than I thought I was.

Nevertheless, I am making slow progress and I am grateful for that. When doc started talking hip replacements last year, I was pretty scared. With the labral tears basically a non-issue, now (unless I tear them again), that isn't even a remote possibility, anymore.

Since he repeated it, I made a padded shirt that I call my "Simon suit" to protect me from his nails.
Hahaha! We have a very thick, vintage bathrobe that Danny Cat (formerly Little Orphan Annie Cat but that was before we realized he wasn't really a girl) knows is the invite for shoulder rides. Even when I put it on, he eyes me for a while but I am not the best ride and he knows that Dad is the one to pounce on.

It sounds like he really enjoys those rides! It was really nice of you to create the Simon suit. ;blank;

He buries his face against me and sticks his tail straight out and hangs on tight, he's a riot! At night, he sleeps by the wheel and brings it toys. I have a laugh when I get up and find 5 toys laying next to it!

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

So funny! What a strange relationship they have!

Thank you for a great idea!
I think it would be so cool. I used to help my hubby with 4-H LEGO club which mainly consisted of 5th-7th grade boys building LEGO cars, racing them, and seeing which ones stayed together. They had so much fun. We also built a LEGO tower that was over 20-feet tall. They were all so proud. Hell, so was I!

Teaching kids cool stuff is awesome. To me, the idea of a kid (especially a kid with any major struggles) learning cyr wheel might as well be having the blast of being transformed into a unicorn for a few minutes. It seems like it could be that amazing to a kid. Heck, it sounds that amazing to me and I'm almost 41!

I don't know any except a friend who has an autistic daughter.
My favorite LEGO Club kid had autism. He was great. He was also hilarious. He liked to build himself cell phones from LEGO and one day we had like 12 kids in the room and he got into an argument with the friend he was talking to on the phone he built. He got off the phone and slammed it down, completely infuriated. Apparently, his friend called him a "little bitch" and he yelled this out in front of the group.
All the kids were waiting for my husband to reprimand him for the language but we were laughing too hard. One of the kids even asked if he was going to get in trouble. We just couldn't do it. I guess we figured he was already having a pretty rough day. I miss that kid. He was my buddy.
He was prouder of that LEGO tower than anyone else, so far as I could tell. He would just stare at looking totally awe-stricken.

Take care and I hope you have a happy turkey day tomorrow! (if you celebrate)
Thanks! I hope you had a good day. We didn't do much since we are alone, 1,500 miles from home but it's been awesome having my husband home for Thanksgiving break. He's back to work on Monday for like 3 weeks but then we get Christmas break. I am REALLY liking this schedule, especially since I am also home right now.

Have a great rest of the weekend! 🐳🐳

I'm trying to lose my cane for the long haul at present because I have issues with my shoulders, too, and can't really use the cane without making my shoulder hurt, so I am avoiding walking sticks for that reason. If it weren't for that, I might use one as my cane does help with the pain in my leg. Though, a lot of what is going on now is that my body is doing wonky things to compensate and I am trying to pay close attention and engage the right things at the right time which wouldn't work with a stick or cane as well, either. Paying attention to my body is a whole new world for me but I am trying.
I can understand that 100%. You have to listen to your body or it will get your attention in unpleasant ways. I hope you find what works best for you and that you enjoy things to the fullest.
That sounds like a very inspirational walking stick! πŸ˜† I love it!
It was a fun project. I've walked a good distance of the Donner Trail and am inspired by their perseverance. Those who made it beat the odds and walking in their footsteps is inspiring to me.
That is awesome. I think it is a real testimony to your strength in the horrible ordeal you have been through. Lots of people give up on what they love when things get hard. And the cyr wheel is hard for anyone!
Giving up would have devastated me and gave me an excuse to give up on many things. It was rebuilding my mind as well as my body.
I really got myself into a mess last year and never has the above statement been more true to me. I never imagined spending this much time in PT and still not being back to the way I was - quite a wake-up call. Apparently, my body needs to be taken care of. Who knew? There needs to be a complete behavioral overhaul here or I probably won't be walking at 55. But I didn't know I had been born with hip dysplasia, so I just pretended I was invincible until it became obvious that I was really not alright. And by that time, I was a lot less alright than I thought I was.

Nevertheless, I am making slow progress and I am grateful for that. When doc started talking hip replacements last year, I was pretty scared. With the labral tears basically a non-issue, now (unless I tear them again), that isn't even a remote possibility, anymore.
That sounds like a lot to cope with, not to mention painful. I hope you'll be able to keep improving and getting stronger day by day. It amazes me what modern medicine can do, combined with self determination. They say "mind over matter ", but not always...sometimes the body gets in the way and that's the most frustrating thing of all. Sending you healing vibes!
Hahaha! We have a very thick, vintage bathrobe that Danny Cat (formerly Little Orphan Annie Cat but that was before we realized he wasn't really a girl) knows is the invite for shoulder rides. Even when I put it on, he eyes me for a while but I am not the best ride and he knows that Dad is the one to pounce on.

It sounds like he really enjoys those rides! It was really nice of you to create the Simon suit. ;blank;
Danny Cat sounds pawsome! He's giving his total trust to anyone he rides on and enjoying himself. He has good intuition to know its a difficulty for you to give rides, even a few extra pounds makes a difference.

Simon was "Simone" until he came back from the vet neutered! He didn't mature properly and it wasn't evident that he was a male. After I discovered he was a spinning addict, I clipped his nails and he wasn't able to hang on for a while but he wouldn't stop trying. I leave his nails long, so the suit was necessary because there aren't enough band-aids! He brings me a lot of laughs! I've taken many funny photos of him doing his own thing with the wheel and when I hear a loud thump in the night. I know he knocked it over and will sleep across it. When I wake up and count the toys he brought it, I start the day with a laugh!
πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

So funny! What a strange relationship they have!

I think it would be so cool. I used to help my hubby with 4-H LEGO club which mainly consisted of 5th-7th grade boys building LEGO cars, racing them, and seeing which ones stayed together. They had so much fun. We also built a LEGO tower that was over 20-feet tall. They were all so proud. Hell, so was I!

Teaching kids cool stuff is awesome. To me, the idea of a kid (especially a kid with any major struggles) learning cyr wheel might as well be having the blast of being transformed into a unicorn for a few minutes. It seems like it could be that amazing to a kid. Heck, it sounds that amazing to me and I'm almost 41!
I'd enjoy helping kids have fun, learn something new and have a good time. Seeing them feeling proud of themselves for their accomplishments is joyful to me, as much as to them. Kids are so impressionable and eager.
My favorite LEGO Club kid had autism. He was great. He was also hilarious. He liked to build himself cell phones from LEGO and one day we had like 12 kids in the room and he got into an argument with the friend he was talking to on the phone he built. He got off the phone and slammed it down, completely infuriated. Apparently, his friend called him a "little bitch" and he yelled this out in front of the group.
All the kids were waiting for my husband to reprimand him for the language but we were laughing too hard. One of the kids even asked if he was going to get in trouble. We just couldn't do it. I guess we figured he was already having a pretty rough day. I miss that kid. He was my buddy.
He was prouder of that LEGO tower than anyone else, so far as I could tell. He would just stare at looking totally awe-stricken.
The LEGO Club sounds awesome! The special boy sounds like a great kid! I hope you all can build another Lego tower someday. That memory will stay with him for a long time! They don't forget the special moments.
Thanks! I hope you had a good day. We didn't do much since we are alone, 1,500 miles from home but it's been awesome having my husband home for Thanksgiving break. He's back to work on Monday for like 3 weeks but then we get Christmas break. I am REALLY liking this schedule, especially since I am also home right now.

Have a great rest of the weekend! 🐳🐳
I'm glad your husband was home for the holiday break and will be home for the Christmas break also! Having those you love with you is a gift in itself (the best kind, in my opinion!) I'm so glad you got to enjoy it together!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back