• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Other What kind of "Conversion disorder " reaction do you cope with?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SoBlessed

Interviewed a counselor yesterday, she unprofessionally diagnosed me over the phone as having "conversion disorder". I don't agree as my reoccurring medical is a fungal infection. Conversion disorder is when a person experiences temporary physical symptoms, such as blindness or paralysis, that do not have a physical cause. While the exact cause of conversion disorder is unknown, researchers believe it occurs in response to stressful situations or trauma.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe that a lot of my physical history includes various things that might easily fall into the conversion category.

As a child, I fainted, usually unexpectedly and without reason.

I rarely caught colds or other sorts of normal mild ordinary childhood infections, because as I understand it now the constant internal and unrecognized “fight or flight” responses I was living with kept my immune system on high alert. Perfect attendance at school, that was me.

I suffered from endometriosis, a physical disease which Dr Gabor Mate links to early trauma and which my own non-psychological medical surgeon said was likely caused due to problems in in-utero development. Maybe from the “hatred” hormones coursing through my mother while she carried me?

Prior to entering therapy, it was not uncommon for me to fall and/or twist an ankle if I unexpectedly hit uneven ground or had a misstep. My SE therapist somehow fixed that, by helping my brain and nervous system grow more integrated and less dissociated.

I experienced chest pain severe enough to send me to the hospital overnight for heart attack testing, but the diagnosis was anxiety. I had no awareness of being in any way anxious when it happened. Mood-wise I was fine, I thought.

So I believe that conversion symptoms happen and they are real symptoms, even if their base source is trauma.

I believe that a lot of my physical history includes various things that might easily fall into the conversion category.

As a child, I fainted, usually unexpectedly and without reason.

I rarely caught colds or other sorts of normal mild ordinary childhood infections, because as I understand it now the constant internal and unrecognized “fight or flight” responses I was living with kept my immune system on high alert. Perfect attendance at school, that was me.

I suffered from endometriosis, a physical disease which Dr Gabor Mate links to early trauma and which my own non-psychological medical surgeon said was likely caused due to problems in in-utero development. Maybe from the “hatred” hormones coursing through my mother while she carried me?

Prior to entering therapy, it was not uncommon for me to fall and/or twist an ankle if I unexpectedly hit uneven ground or had a misstep. My SE therapist somehow fixed that, by helping my brain and nervous system grow more integrated and less dissociated.

I experienced chest pain severe enough to send me to the hospital overnight for heart attack testing, but the diagnosis was anxiety. I had no awareness of being in any way anxious when it happened. Mood-wise I was fine, I thought.

So I believe that conversion symptoms happen and they are real symptoms, even if their base source is trauma.
I was recently told by an over the phone diagnosing counselor (smh) that I have this. I am doubting it although every time something traumatic happens I get a reoccurring infection again and again (8x). I feel its a neurological reaction to stress/trauma but am not sure how that turns into a reoccurring blood infection.

I was recently told by an over the phone diagnosing counselor (smh) that I have this. I am doubting it although every time something traumatic happens I get a reoccurring infection again and again (8x). I feel its a neurological reaction to stress/trauma but am not sure how that turns into a reoccurring blood infection.
Well, you had asked what kinds of things others deal with that might be conversion related, so I gave you some of mine.

How your body handles it could be different. But I can say that for me, it does most certainly cause authentic physical symptoms, even if it comes from a dysregulated nervous system, not a microbe. I know it can be hard to understand how a person’s vagus nerve might decide to instigate “symptom X“, but if I think about it, I don’t understand most things my vagus nerve does automagically, like digest food.

I guess I would ask you why the psychosomatic diagnosis concerns you, as opposed to a more clinical “you have been infected by bacteria Latinus Namus“ sort of diagnosis. If it really does, maybe get a second opinion? Doctors can be wrong.

I have always had relatively severe digestive issues. I will get constipated, have diarrhea, and in bad cases, vomit when I'm not sick, just will be really not doing well mentally and experience it physically in that way.

Conversion disorders have been the bane of my existence. I can drop for days - unable to move yet conscious. It is like being buried alive. Terrifying.

Oh, and every time I move I get pink eye. I just put that together last week when I got it AGAIN after moving.

I haven't looked into this but this is something that may be of interest to some.

Well, you had asked what kinds of things others deal with that might be conversion related, so I gave you some of mine.

How your body handles it could be different. But I can say that for me, it does most certainly cause authentic physical symptoms, even if it comes from a dysregulated nervous system, not a microbe. I know it can be hard to understand how a person’s vagus nerve might decide to instigate “symptom X“, but if I think about it, I don’t understand most things my vagus nerve does automagically, like digest food.

I guess I would ask you why the psychosomatic diagnosis concerns you, as opposed to a more clinical “you have been infected by bacteria Latinus Namus“ sort of diagnosis. If it really does, maybe get a second opinion? Doctors can be wrong.
I appreciate your input. I am questioning it bc its neurological that triggers an organism overgrowth vs a physical reaction such as slow digestion (have had but no longer). I don't understand this diagnosis and am not seeing a psychological practitioner at this time. My infectious disease doctor certainly doesn't comprehend the connections per our last conversation, her job is to just make me better physically. Thank goodness she can do that.

I have always had relatively severe digestive issues. I will get constipated, have diarrhea, and in bad cases, vomit when I'm not sick, just will be really not doing well mentally and experience it physically in that way.
I can relate to this, it was an issue for me in the past when I had thyroid issues, diet issues, issues at my job and home. That has changes and my body has regulated itself. These issues are possible to over come with lots of changes and patience.

Conversion disorders have been the bane of my existence. I can drop for days - unable to move yet conscious. It is like being buried alive. Terrifying.

Oh, and every time I move I get pink eye. I just put that together last week when I got it AGAIN after moving.

I haven't looked into this but this is something that may be of interest to some.

Is chronic pink eye something you see an infectious disease doctor for? That is the route I have taken for the reoccurring infections I get. She and I now have a protocol in place for reoccurrences, she is very understanding. Your the only person who posted with an infection like me vs physical symptoms.

I was diagnosed with conversion disorder but it was actually spondylolistheses. After I got my fusion 10 years after I was diagnosed, I'm all better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back