• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Where Are You From?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marine Corps Amphibious Intelligence Warfare. MOS 0231
served in Panama, Columbia, Honduras, 1st gulf war.
Based from Camp LeJune, North Carolina
Been a few other places as well.

Army started as 63y1p then clinton downsized. Ended up working as a 12b charlie company 3rd engineers as a sapper in the 24th inf. somalia the mog 93 till march 94. I volunteered for the job change it was more fun than being a mechanic on trac vehicles.

US Navy 1962 - 66 (3 years 9 months and 2 days but who's counting) It began via the Tombs (NYC Jail - At the age of 17 a Judge made my old man a offer he could not refuse and he signed on the line and I was off to GL NTC).

An average rope choker, rigger, paint technician and combat stevedore (3/c Boatswain Mate).
That's a MOS for you ground pounders and grunts.

2 years at sea, 2 WestPac cruises aboard the Fleet Tug USS Munsee (ATF - 107). A fine working US Naval Vessel that specialized in removing large heavly armed BB's, CA's, DD's, DE's off sand bars that a conning Officers didn't see.

Those 2 years I seen Guam, Hawaii, Okinawa, Japan, Hong Kong, Subic Bay (Olongapo), Aleutian Islands, Christmas Island and then I traveled too the most exotic of all San Diego. CA and never went back!

Late in 1964 I thought I died and went too heaven as I got orders to Subic Bay for the US Naval Cargo Handling Battalion TWO. Unfortunately that was short lived, you see there was a fight going on in a place called Vietnam. Well, just about the time I was able to establish decent line of credit with one of the local hospitality establishments - TSHTF!

Never got to pay off that bar bill (oh well) and before I knew it I was was no longer dealing with Peso's and had a pocket full of Dong. (No MPC yet and the Greenback reigned supreme)

Welcome to Da Nang RVN! Now, I thought something was up with all that SERE training, Jungle warfare school living with those Marines and wearing those OG 107's instead my blues and I soon found out.

For the next 16 months my travels were confined to what was know as I CORP. What he French called Tourane we knew it as Danang City and all of it spectacular sights just off that magnificent thoroughfare known as Route 1. Hue, Phu Bai to the north and Chu Lai too the south. Locally it was Danang AFB, Dog Patch, Camp Tien Sha, Marble Mountan, Monkey Mountan, Red Beach and the now famous China Beach. I cant leave out three days of R&R in Bangkok I was told I enjoyed my self and no photographs too the contrary but my medical service record confirms a strain gonorrhea which need attention upon my return. Humm!

Ba

Last edited by a moderator:
Ba, I think I just vicariously lived that journey with you! Wow...and you made it sound like fun

Yep on the MOS=AFSC=NEC

Danang AFB, Dog Patch, Camp Tien Sha, Marble Mountan, Monkey Mountan, Red Beach and the now famous China Beach.

Wow, that brings back some memories. Been to all of them. Marble Mountain, nasty place. Dog Patch, nasty but in a different way. I was about 10K outside of Danang near Hill 55. That was our main op area. Although we did do security for convoys running north to Phu Bhi.

Two words, Dog Patch; it ain't like the one that Lil' Abner and Daisy May came from. I'm laughing 'cause most of ya'll don't know who I'm talking about. I'm old, .................damn it.

Yeah Jar, ran a few convoys riding shotgun on those Marine duce and a half's back then. According to the Air Force it's rumored that Dog Patch was a respectable community before the marines arrived - yeah.... Right!

OOH-RA Jar! We're not old we are well seasoned, ya know, like a fine wine or something.......

Ba

I could tell you, but I would have to kill you.

Smart man, CG!

Loady, A60750, PCS Langley Field, VA and Naha, Oki., TDYs to every damn little hole in the wall all over the globe. One of these days, hope to meet up with a Combat Engineer and ask him if he understands the concept of straight and level. Wound up in the "secret" mission, Blinbat. These days, that "secret" is plastered all over the internet.

Sarg

Canadian Army, Armoured Crewmen, Served 22 years.

5 Tours, Bosnia 94, 97 and 2000.
Afghanistan 2002 and 2007.

Did most of my career Based out West, 6 years in Calgary, 11 years in Edmonton (the base, not the Military Prison, smart asses)

Finished my last 3 in Gagetown, teaching gunnery and tactics.

Hey, Russ--

I was with the 1/327 Infantry myself back in 1969, from July until January. We operated in I Corps in Tua Thien and Quang Nam provinces. Our basecamp was Camp Eagle outside of Phu Bai and very near Hue. We spent most of our time in the A Shua Valley, Run-Run Valley, and Elephant Valley, going on combat assault missions that usually lasted three or four weeks, then back to Eagle for a two- or three-day stand-down.

We walked into an ambush in August and I was the only one of the first seven guys in the column who wasn't hit. I spent the first half hour pulling our point man down the hill, and then the next three hours or so lugging ammo up to our gunner and helping the wounded down the hill, and then back up with more ammo. Our point man ended up dying three days later, and I ended up thinking I was invincible.

Once the rains started in October (eighty-nine inches in three days) we were extracted to the lowlands where we stayed until early December. Then it was back to the hills. I remember spending my 21st birthday in the A Shau, celebrating by sleeping on guard. Actually, there was no reason to stay awake. It was pitch dark and I couldn't tell if my eyes were open or closed.

They kept us in the A Shau until a week before Christmas. Then we went back to Eagle for a train-down to learn rappelling. Halfway through the training, three days before Christmas, they said we were going back to the hills in two days. The whole battalion was totally pissed. It was still the monsoon season, which meant if it happened to be raining, which it usually was, we'd get no medevacs, no reinforcements and no resupplies. About fifty of us met in the day room that night to talk about refusing to go. The battalion higher-ups learned about the meeting, though--and our plans to meet again the next night to vote on what to do. The next morning, they transferred a couple guys and let us eat breakfast. Then, after breakfast, the CA started a day early. No second meeting, no Christmas dinner, and, luckily, no mutiny.

We were over-run just after dawn the next morning. Our new CO was a Cobra pilot who now had one full day's experience in commanding a field unit. He panicked and called in artillery on our position from his foxhole. Nobody else was in a foxhole--we never used them. The result was two dead GIs and a dozen or so wounded. I was one of the wounded. I spent nearly three months in hospitals recovering from a severed vena cava and collapsed lung from friendly fire. Hence my PTSD.

Those were the highs and lows (most of them, anyway) of my time with the 1st 327. I've learned to cope pretty well with those memories. I hope you do the same.

Yeah, Willis, don't take me serious. Just a joke about the crazy airfields we landed at. Reminds me of the scene in "Air America" where the DeHavillin lands on the side of the mountain. Met a combat engineer out here that was pushing dirt with his dozer and a sniper put a round straight through his mouth, bustin out teeth on both sides and never hit a bone. He called it instant dentures.

Sarg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back