• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Words and Sayings Unique to Your Country/Culture

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like stuff that's Canadian Eh?
why?
thats an eastern thing anyways.
or northern

not many ppl where i am say eh? (as in 'A')
more eh, soft vowel sound, beginning of sentence like. sounds like meh without the m

ehhh.....

nor ruff or crik

or ayes da by

nope

toque- ive heard is Canadian
- wool beanie/hat to keep heads and ears warm in winter

hoodies - sweat shirts with hoods and one big front pocket thingy, no zipper

the ones with zippers are just jackets

biscuits are always soft doughy things you put butter/jam/bacon and eggs on and not very popular here

cookies are baked goods full of sugar

chips are thin deep fried (sometimes baked) potato slices with seasonings like ketchup chips

no regional sayings that i can think of
lots of ukrainian jokes
also lots of ukrainian food 🤤

official languages are english and french but only one province is bilingual - and its not the one even most canadians think it is

oh- old ppl call couches 'chesterfields' sometimes

and rain gutters on houses are eavestroughs

hell = H-E-double hockey sticks 🙄
if you're spelling words so kids dont know what you're talking about (all kids know that one though 🙄)

"biffed it" - epic wipe out

"sorry" is everywhere but insurance companies warn you not to apologize if you're in an accident because its now considered admitting guilt

bumped into someone? sorry (the person you bumped into will also say sorry)
tripped on your own feet and someone was 2' away but saw your dumb ass almost fall? sorry
forgot to hold a door open for someone, or let the door go after waiting 2 minutes because they were 100' away but they magically appeared right when you let it go? sorry

bake at 350°F
temperature outside is 18°C

it's 4 hours to the next closest city, the moose is a couple miles up the road and you drive 80km/h.

gas is 86 cents a litre
you buy a gallon of milk
tim bit = donut holes
double double = coffee with two cream, two sugar

a f*cktard, well.... is that one not obvious?

"hey buddy!" will start a bar fight

im not sure what other slang i use is a geographical thing or just immature idiot crap..... and i dont think i pay enough attention to other cultures to know what would be considered weird in my norm- meh.

newfie- people from new found land but im not sure if its considered derogatory now or not

klicks - kilometres
kilos- kilograms

colour can be colour or color
neighbour or neighbor

no good sayings- canadians are basic as f*ck 🤣

why?
thats an eastern thing anyways.
or northern

not many ppl where i am say eh? (as in 'A')
more eh, soft vowel sound, beginning of sentence like. sounds like meh without the m

ehhh.....

nor ruff or crik

or ayes da by

nope

toque- ive heard is Canadian
- wool beanie/hat to keep heads and ears warm in winter

hoodies - sweat shirts with hoods and one big front pocket thingy, no zipper

the ones with zippers are just jackets

biscuits are always soft doughy things you put butter/jam/bacon and eggs on and not very popular here

cookies are baked goods full of sugar

chips are thin deep fried (sometimes baked) potato slices with seasonings like ketchup chips

no regional sayings that i can think of
lots of ukrainian jokes
also lots of ukrainian food 🤤

official languages are english and french but only one province is bilingual - and its not the one even most canadians think it is

oh- old ppl call couches 'chesterfields' sometimes

and rain gutters on houses are eavestroughs

hell = H-E-double hockey sticks 🙄
if you're spelling words so kids dont know what you're talking about (all kids know that one though 🙄)

"biffed it" - epic wipe out

"sorry" is everywhere but insurance companies warn you not to apologize if you're in an accident because its now considered admitting guilt

bumped into someone? sorry (the person you bumped into will also say sorry)
tripped on your own feet and someone was 2' away but saw your dumb ass almost fall? sorry
forgot to hold a door open for someone, or let the door go after waiting 2 minutes because they were 100' away but they magically appeared right when you let it go? sorry

bake at 350°F
temperature outside is 18°C

it's 4 hours to the next closest city, the moose is a couple miles up the road and you drive 80km/h.

gas is 86 cents a litre
you buy a gallon of milk
tim bit = donut holes
double double = coffee with two cream, two sugar

a f*cktard, well.... is that one not obvious?

"hey buddy!" will start a bar fight

im not sure what other slang i use is a geographical thing or just immature idiot crap..... and i dont think i pay enough attention to other cultures to know what would be considered weird in my norm- meh.

newfie- people from new found land but im not sure if its considered derogatory now or not

klicks - kilometres
kilos- kilograms

colour can be colour or color
neighbour or neighbor

no good sayings- canadians are basic as f*ck 🤣
That's really interesting! There are a number that overlap with us Aussies!

We say hoodies too and beanie. We use 'kilos' to abbreviate kilograms.
We use 'chips' for the same cut hot potato treat that is deep fried.... but we also use 'chips' for the thin, cold potato crisps that you buy from the shop that come in all the different flavours.
Oh, and we also say 'f*cktard'! lol. Along with all the other swearwords that Aussie's are so fond of.

It's interesting how you have both Fahrenheit and Celcius for temperature, depending on what you're measuring. All metric here, although some of the oldies still refer to inches that they learnt when they were young before we swapped to metric. And baby weight is still often talked about in pounds, although at the hospital it is given in both kilograms and pounds.

For us, what you call 'biscuits' I think is what we call 'scones', which we eat with jam and cream. Biscuits are what you call cookies, although the term 'cookie' has found its way into our language a bit too, so they can be described as both.

With Christmas coming up, I imagine it would look very different over here, being our summer months. We'll be throwing a shrimp (although we call them 'prawns' in the part of Australia in which I live) and the barbie and swimming at the beach. 😁

I am not sure if this is a Kentucky thing or more of a southern thing, but here we say "Bless your heart" quite a bit as we sip on our sweet tea.
LMAO… meanwhile “bless his heart” // “bless her heart” is TOTAL license to say the meanest, rudest, most derogatory things about a person possible… and get away with it! 🤣

That lying, cheating, manipulative, no good, trifling, vicious, psychobitch, white trash, ignorant, 2 bit whore -bless her heart- will be here on Saturday. So be nice.

It is SUCH an odd phrase. Totally earnest. Both ways it’s used. (Cookies? For me?!? Bless your heart! // Yup. Mike’s crazier than a shithouse rat, bless his heart!)

Mike’s crazier than a shithouse rat, bless his heart!
"Crazier than a shithouse rat"... that sounds like something an Aussie would say. Might have to steal that....! Well, f*ck me dead! (the Aussie way of saying 'I'm surprised') 😂

I must say, I was feeling rather pissed off (annoyed) with the world, until I read about the shithouse rat, bless its heart! 😂 😜 👋

Lol, I'm from Glasgow so I uh, barely even speak English tbh, heh.

Some of the weirdest ones IMO:
Lang may yer lum reek (long may your chimney smoke) = a thing we say at hogmanay (31 dec) to wish people good fortune or whatever
Dinnae teach yer granny how tae suck eggs (dont teach your gran how to suck eggs) = Don't teach people things they already know
Is the cat dead? = your trousers are too short (don't even know why it means that, but it does)
Mony a mickle maks a muckle = Lots of small things make a big thing
Yer bums oot the windae (your bottom is out the window) = you're lying

Lol, I'm from Glasgow so I uh, barely even speak English tbh, heh.

Some of the weirdest ones IMO:
Lang may yer lum reek (long may your chimney smoke) = a thing we say at hogmanay (31 dec) to wish people good fortune or whatever
Dinnae teach yer granny how tae suck eggs (dont teach your gran how to suck eggs) = Don't teach people things they already know
Is the cat dead? = your trousers are too short (don't even know why it means that, but it does)
Mony a mickle maks a muckle = Lots of small things make a big thing
We say, 'don't teach me how to suck eggs'.... don't do the granny part though! lol
Never heard of any of the others though, but they're brilliant! I love 'your bum's out the window'! (I can't even type that in the right accent!!!)

My husband is a shocker for Aussie sayings and phrases. I think one of my favourites is 'sympathy is between shit and syphilis in the dictionary', just because it was taught to him by his 82 year old Grandma! 🤣

Quite a common one here is to say, "Go f*ck yourself" when you're angry.

Another of my favourites that my hubby says is, "We're not here to f*ck spiders", which literally means that we don't want to waste time, we've got stuff to get done. 🤣🤣

We owe a lot to Alf from Summer Bay. "Flamin galah" being a typical Alf-ism.
Ha! I’m in the U.K. and was just about to say this very thing! Alf was very keen on calling people flamin galahs! 🤣

I remember there was also a lot of ‘fair dinkum.’ And, of course, ‘G’day’ 😁

Is the cat dead? = your trousers are too short

"We're not here to f*ck spiders"

🤣🤣🤣

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back