• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Words and Sayings Unique to Your Country/Culture

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh- old ppl call couches 'chesterfields' sometimes
Davenport & Divan & Settee get used by the 80 & up crowd round here

Sofa & Couch by 40 & up

20 somethings = Actual name of the EXACT style of furniture (that’s a chaise lounge, that’s a fainting couch, that’s a divan) …. Um… they all look the same to me. (Mom! Stop being old!) >>> My kid says not checking your phone for the actual name of something is a lazy boomer thing to do. Dammit. I’m old, sure fine, whatever. But I am NOT a baby boomer. That’s my PARENTS generation. (If you’re too lazy to research from reputable sources, and just trust whatever nonsense the people around you say, you’re a boomer, Mom.)

some of my faves.....
f*ck me running --- you are surprised by something in a negative kind of way
Don't screw the crew -- don't have relationships with people you work with
up shit creek without a paddle -- you have some major problems with no solution
don't let the door hit you in the ass -- telling someone to get out of your room/office/house

Ha! I’m in the U.K. and was just about to say this very thing! Alf was very keen on calling people flamin galahs! 🤣

I remember there was also a lot of ‘fair dinkum.’ And, of course, ‘G’day’ 😁
Good old Alf! He stayed pretty PC though with the Australian sayings, keeping the right classification for Home and Away in its timeslot. Although "G'day" genuinely is said a lot in Aussie still. "Flamin' galah" and "Fair dinkum" I don't hear much nowadays.... unless I'm watching Alf, of course! I remember one episode where one of the teenage characters insulted him by telling him to "shove it up his jumper". I have literally never heard that phrase anywhere in my lifetime... must have been the most suitable way they could find to put in that kind of show... I'm guessing the more commonly used "piss off" or "f*ck off" must have been too sweary. 😂

It's sometimes funny seeing our country on these tv shows and how it is portrayed. In Neighbours they're always wearing summer, thin clothes like the weather is always hot, but it gets bloody freezing in Victoria. Backstage they're always wearing huge jackets most of the year! 😂

20 somethings = Actual name of the EXACT style of furniture (that’s a chaise lounge, that’s a fainting couch, that’s a divan) …. Um… they all look the same to me. (Mom! Stop being old!) >>> My kid says not checking your phone for the actual name of something is a lazy boomer thing to do. Dammit. I’m old, sure fine, whatever. But I am NOT a baby boomer. That’s my PARENTS generation. (If you’re too lazy to research from reputable sources, and just trust whatever nonsense the people around you say, you’re a boomer, Mom.)
What country are you in @Friday ? I can't believe how specific your 20s people get! Don't think that would work in Australia! They'd prolly be told that they're a "smart arse (ass)" pretty quick! 😆

up shit creek without a paddle -- you have some major problems with no solution
don't let the door hit you in the ass -- telling someone to get out of your room/office/house

What country are you in @Freida ? Just wondering if it's Aus as both of these are super common where I am too. 😃
'Shit creek' reminds me of another common saying - "He's built like a brick shithouse" - meaning they're very big and strong. My husband likes to interchange this with the more PC version of "He's built like a concrete amenities unit". 🤪

ALF?

MV5BYmRhNzk2YWUtNWIxNC00YWM3LWI5ODEtN2IwOGQzYWEwMWJjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTA4NzY1MzY@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Was reminded a few things I don’t think about aren’t exactly universal, as Imwas about to tell boss A I was just bullshitting with boss B, and had to reverse myself mid-word… Just buh-chatting!

Scuttlebutt - Gossip, Rumors, Word on the street
Bullshitting - Chatting

What country are you in @Friday ?
USA, these days. Pacific Northwest. Grew up in Asia, USA, EU. Worked in Latin America & Eastern Europe.

one of the teenage characters insulted him by telling him to "shove it up his jumper". I have literally never heard that phrase anywhere in my lifetime... must have been the most suitable way they could find to put in that kind of show...
Ha! Which reminds me, I’m sure I vaguely remember, years and years ago, Alf referring to someone (in quite a menacing way, to be fair) as ‘you little piece of carpet fluff.’ I guess the writers had fun coming up with all these Alfisms!

(I can't even type that in the right accent!!!)
Hahaha I type (for the most part 😂) in normal English, but there's defo a large amount of Scots that consider that spelling to be a different "language", not typing in an accent. I am totally typing in an accent when I speak like that, hah.

Do other countries have the same thing? Or do Scots just like to be all special? 😂

I'm Friday's neighbor and I only have a few lame ones.
"Oh f*ck me" you did me a disservice.
"That's all she wrote" The end, more on the east coast.
Everyone knows that trunk means boot, but I had an Australian coworker who told me he put a wheelchair in his boot and I looked down and saw he was wearing sneakers! (Tennies)

Alf....!
5665fa3d7e27a862dd3b7c1046f933eafe70f50c

From a Australian tv drama (soap) called 'Home and Away'. Heath Ledger began on this show too. A lot of our Aussie turned Hollywood actors started on either this or another TV drama called 'Neighbours', which was the show that Margot Robbie started on and the UK pop princess Kylie Minogue. Although, I must say I loved your Alf a hell of a lot more than our Alf!!

Alf referring to someone (in quite a menacing way, to be fair) as ‘you little piece of carpet fluff.’ I guess the writers had fun coming up with all these Alfisms!
Hahahaha! That's brilliant! We generally just say, 'you little piece of shit'. Must say, it would be fun coming up with more PG phrases!

Do other countries have the same thing? Or do Scots just like to be all special? 😂

Nah yeah, we Aussie's defo do that, Cobber! (Translation: Yes, us Australians definitely do that, mate)
I can't believe I forgot 'Yeah nah' and 'nah yeah', they are classic Australianisms!
Nah = no Yeah = yes
but 'yeah nah' means 'no'
and 'nah yeah' means 'yeah' 🤣

Everyone knows that trunk means boot, but I had an Australian coworker who told me he put a wheelchair in his boot and I looked down and saw he was wearing sneakers! (Tennies)

Hilarious! 🤣 Btw, you'll find our 'thongs' on our feet too (I think you call them 'flip-flops'?). 'Thongs' that go on your butt are called 'g-strings' here, I have no idea what the 'g' has to do with but my husbands says he thinks it's because when you put them on and they go up your crack you say "Oh gee" (which is an expression of surprise over here).

Last edited:
As an aside, it has been rumoured where I live lately and in the Aussie news that Chris Hemsworth has just bought a property not far from me in a tiny town with only several thousand people here in Aus! So I think maybe we're going to become besties now. Yeah nah. 😂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back