• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

News Worldwide impact of the novel coronavirus (covid-19)

Status
Not open for further replies.
And let's not pretend that hasn't *always* been based partly on beds.
I still have dreams about black tags.

Some mass casualty events (bad days) 90% of the people who died could have lived… if there were surgeons and IVs and painkillers and antibiotics enough to go ‘round. Other better days? Maybe a third?

Here in the States we have over 660,000 deaths, are averaging about 2k more per day, 2652 yesterday, hospitals are at capacity… and I know! Let’s open all the schools and make attendance mandatory, masks & distancing not!!!

It’s like they put Stupid in the water. 😵

Last edited:
But also, not a new thing.
True
I think the hard part is they have so many patients dying already - they have to kind of flip a quarter to see who they will save and who they wont. I can't even imagine how frustrated and exhausted they are. Especially since the chance of living once you are ventilated plummet, so why try?

my neighbor told me yesterday his daughter, a nurse, told him not to get the shot because it was bad for him, but when he got covid she insisted on giving him the horse wormer! I tried to explain that only works if you have worms in the first place -- and he just looked at me like I was crazy. He's home now, on O2 for the foreseeable future and wondering if he should get the shot to prevent him from getting one of the variants but she is having a fit. After all, he survived - so it must not be that bad right?

Plus like I said earlier the patience with antivaxers seems to be ending. I'm hearing more and more comments about why the unvaccinated should be taking beds away from others, or why the vaccinated have to postpone surgeries because people refuse to get the shot and then end up flooding the icu. I think the biggest challenge is that this isn't like a car crash, or cancer, or a brain tumor that lands people in the icu. This is a preventable disease that people refuse to "believe in" until it hits someone they know. Then they demand care and get all pissed off if there isn't enough to go around.

Let’s open all the schools and make attendance mandatory, masks & distancing not!!!
Yep.
nephew made it 10 days in school before 64 kids had to be quarantined. 😤

At this point I think we should just let it run it's course and stop trying to protect those who refuse to protect themselves. If it overwhelms the hospitals so be it. We are already making docs choose who lives or dies - I'm guessing those who are unvaccinated are going to get the brunt of that. Which really sucks because it didn't have to end like this. If it had been handled better at the start we wouldn't be facing this us vs them mentality that seems to be spiking as fast as covid is.

It's a no win situation..... 😢

I think it's a very short-sighted interpretation of the word "freedom" when that means: 'being unobstructed from doing things that compromise access to reasonable healthcare.' Freedom stops having much value when you don't have access to healthcare.

It makes a lot of sense to me, though, that people, who generally have first or second-hand experience of things like influenza, chest infections and pneumonia, are more afraid of the incredibly scientifically complex, and new, vaccine than they are of getting sick.

It's very sad that there seems to be a vacuum of sensible public policy and accurate information to steer the masses through that safely in so many places.

Plus like I said earlier the patience with antivaxers seems to be ending. I'm hearing more and more comments about why the unvaccinated should be taking beds away from others, or why the vaccinated have to postpone surgeries because people refuse to get the shot and then end up flooding the icu. I think the biggest challenge is that this isn't like a car crash, or cancer, or a brain tumor that lands people in the icu. This is a preventable disease that people refuse to "believe in" until it hits someone they know. Then they demand care and get all pissed off if there isn't enough to go around
Okay.. but what about car crashes cos you were drunk/texting? Or cancer caused by smoking? Both things people are aware are a risk of those activities, so exactly the same imo. Which is why I said it's risky to get into a moral judgement of who deserves what care. Likelihood of surviving isnt dependent on judgement, and shouldn't be imo.

And preventable illness it is not necessarily. I've had covid, you've had covid, plenty of people have done everything right n got covid. I dunno.. I agree with vaccinating etc. I just think if we are gonna base these decisions off of things like vaccines, we also gotta consider a million other things.

It's a bit like that sociology question.. you have 20 people on a deserted island, who do you save when the boat only holds 6? The 90yo ex doctor who might die anyway? The 20yo pregnant woman who broke outta jail? Add judgements into it and your risk of getting an ICU bed starts to depend on whatever doc you come across and who they personally feel deserves to live (um. The person with a mental illness or same situation but no documented mh issues?)

Very risky territory.
If it overwhelms the hospitals so be it
And omg no. Don't say that 😭

Overwhelmed hospitals overwhelm the staff. Heads start phoning to shout at us to discharge whoever and *now*. Staff call in sick and/or cry in the kitchen.

We need to triage better at the front door. Why are people being sent away to die when people with a hangover are admitted for dehydration (bbz have a drink of water, eat a banana, ya good).

I think this has just highlighted issues that existed forever, but yeah.. if I gotta stand at an arrest n be like "let's stop they were anti Vax anyway" I think I'd pack in my job tbh.

And omg no. Don't say that
naw..... I was just cranky :)
I think this has just highlighted issues that existed forever, but yeah.. if I gotta stand at an arrest n be like "let's stop they were anti Vax anyway" I think I'd pack in my job tbh.
I think the reason I'm focusing on antivaxxers is it's the problem of the day. But you are right - people make choices all the time and expect care.... que the drunk driver who kills someone and then needs the hospital to save him

If anything good comes out of this it will be getting people to realize how fragile our emergency systems are and that there isn't enough care to go around

Which is sadly being shown right now. Doctors are being asked to decide who lives and who dies. I mean seriously - how do you make a decision like that? Thats something you think of happening in a war zone - not in a city hospital.

I don't think there is an answer to it -which is what I meant about letting it run it's course. If people won't get vaccinated and it keeps mutating it's going to keep spreading and people will keep dying. Which may have to happen to get to herd immunity level. I saw a projection model last week that said if things stay the same as they are now the pandemic could last till 2023. Yep - two more years

And that sucks

Our state is one of the ones here in Australia that isn't in any kind of lockdown, and doesn't currently have any (that's right, any - dumb luck!) covid in the community. I've noticed, though, that it seems to be becoming an accepted norm to wear masks indoors. You'd look really odd and out of place if you were to strut through the grocery store without a mask on (and, probably you'd be asked to leave).

We've had several different contractors come into our house for various reasons over the last few weeks, and all of them have asked us to mask up while they've been in our home. Just a casual "Hi, how are you, mind putting a mask on for me?", almost like an established social custom.

I don't know what it's like in the southern states (since interstate travel is kind of a minefield atm). But I'm curious about whether "masks indoors" is now the social norm elsewhere as well?

This is a thread to discuss the worldwide impact the of novel coronavirus (covid-19) and related panic/disruption. It's a place to discuss what is happening around the world, how it may be impacting you and/or how you are coping with it (or not.)

For more information about coronavirus please consult reliable sources such as World Health Organization - Coronavirus

Moderator note:
What this thread will NOT cover: Political topics or disagreements from closed threads or anything to do with US election politics. Political topics may come up from time to time but this is not the thread for detailed on-going political discussions or debates that pull this thread off topic away from the discussion about covid-19.

If you have any questions about this, please use Contact Us. Volunteer staff will be glad to address it.

Some recent news:

I believe that things are bound to get worse before they get better.
I would never wish harm or sickness or pain on anyone - ever.

After saying that...I want to ask how anyone else feels regarding "already being diagnosed" with PTSD and watching the world today. I know that the many, many deaths that have occured will generate more people with problems similar to the feelings of loss that I feel. (How terrible) :(

I know that my feelings will be different from theirs and will be from a different cause. However, I have an anger inside me which I can't define. Almost like a child yelling that "I felt hurt before you". I can remember having hard times as a child when other siblings were treated first or better that me. Even though they had the same "wounds". Almost like my feelings were not as important as theirs. Like a "sibling rivalry" for attention. Sometimes I have a hard time feeling sorry for others while being angry that no one noticed my pain so long ago.

There are lot of things that cause feelings of loss and sadness, not just Covid. Now the news is filled with people who have PTSD from dealing with Covid. I feel very sad for them and they are all in my prayers. And yet, the child inside me is screaming - "but I was hurt first". Why didn't anyone help me when I was wounded and needed help so long ago? I guess it is my inner child just throwing a tantrum for attention?

Does all this sound funny???

I don't know what it's like in the southern states (since interstate travel is kind of a minefield atm). But I'm curious about whether "masks indoors" is now the social norm elsewhere as well?
Oh gods, I wish. Here (KY and OH), people look at you funny if you wear a mask. I do, everywhere. I went to a (required) event with my company on Friday - a company that is at the forefront of virus and vaccine research - and pretty sure I now have COVID. Four of us--out of 100--wore masks. I also had on gloves and stayed away from everyone. There is another event sponsored by an organization I volunteer for next month and...no masks.
Why didn't anyone help me when I was wounded and needed help so long ago?
I'm glad you talked about this. I have the same feelings. And it infuriates me when people say they have PTSD because they have to wear a mask.

Here (KY and OH), people look at you funny if you wear a mask.
I am in Ky and experience the same funny looks from people, however, I have heart disease and lung disease, and diabetes, and I would not do well if I contracted the virus. I met a woman today who was telling me that she lost her sister to Covid, she was crying as she told me about it and my heart breaks for her.

Not only do I not want to die, but I also don't want to die alone. So I will continue to wear a mask and people can just give me their stupid looks, I don't care.

I also have been vaccinated...twice and will get the booster shot as soon as it becomes available.

I am very empathic and don't usually watch the news, however, for the last couple of weeks I have tried to keep up with the world and local news. I feel a sense of great sadness and concern for those who have not been vaccinated and for those families who have lost loved ones. And I remember why I don't watch or read the news. It is overwhelming for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back