• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

News Worldwide impact of the novel coronavirus (covid-19)

Status
Not open for further replies.
More people are starting to fall ill here and there- but probably not covid19, only a cold. They're now actually offering tests and for free for everyone. (During the spring nobody except the health care professionals and hospitalized people got a test.) And they ask people to test even with only very mild symptoms. My daughter has a cold so I tried to book an appointment for a test - but the closest available appointment was 6 days away..? By then she is probably well again and either way the test will probably be negative by then either way. Sigh.

My daughter has a cold so I tried to book an appointment for a test - but the closest available appointment was 6 days away..?

Sneezing is a common symptom of a cold but is not a common symptom of Covid. So, if your daughter is sneezing and sniffing a lot that’s likely a sign that it’s a cold not Coronavirus. Hope she feels better soon - I never fail to be shocked by how dreadful a common cold can feel!

Sneezing is a common symptom of a cold but is not a common symptom of Covid
I know, she has not sneezed though, but has symptoms from the nose. I'm not worried. But she's been coughing too. And some people with covid19 get symptoms from the nose too. And I don't want to test her because I'm worried (most kids with covid19 get well really fast too) ? but because they want people to test even with very mild symptoms - like something looking like a common cold. Because they want to start to map and track how many who actually gets covid19- even the mild cases. (Very few people were actually tested up to june-july.)

My point is only that it's pointless for them to ask people to get tested if you can't get a test closer in time than in 6-7 days , because then it is a bit too late (most of the time) to find the virus with the test anymore.

because they want people to test even with very mild symptoms - like something looking like a common cold.

Ah, I see...sorry, I misunderstood and was trying to reassure you! :)

Yes, that’s a tricky one. On the one hand, I get why they are looking to encourage people to get tested. On the other, as you say, what’s the point if the wait time to get a test is that long when tests are most effective and accurate within three days of first symptoms? Grr...annoying for you!

@barefoot no worries! ? That was very kind of you. ?

There seem to be some things not working that well in the communications between the health department and the local leaders. . A lot of that in this covid-times. But I guess they all do their best. ?

Wow! What a refreshing way to look at things, @zaniara! There is so much blame here in the US. I'm glad to see you back.
Well.. all that trauma therapy with T. and counselling by my pastor have paid off a bit and changed my outlook on things! ? Possibly and generally people might be struggling with trust issues..

But a lot of people here (in Sweden) too are complaining and looking for who's to blame. But Swedes generally trusts their leaders a lot. Most of the time due to good reasons. (Not so much corruption here.)

It's good to be back. To finally have gotten away from a bad environment (which I've been in for 2 years) and starting to be able to heal. I've missed you. ❤

Last edited:
We have a relatively large homeless population for a small city and they have camps set up along river banks. This week, the police said they are getting to many call for disturbances within the camps and they had to evacuate by friday. I believe it was aclu that filed lawsuit to prevent this during pandemic. Many are drug addicts but about all suffer from mental illness. So hard to see during this time when services are very limited. I know these times are very challenging mentally for many, some that have not had depression and anxiety before even. Im just really concerned with this aspect and fear the suicide rate will climb. I know alcohol sales are up too.

While I can say I have held up better than I expected as this drags on, I have felt moments where I have become so bored to death that I just want to break out of this jail. (we only go out for supplies) with the exception of lunch outside a couple of times. Im just really concerned for everyones mental health during this pandemic, from the young missing socialization to the elderly that are lonely.

This week, the police said they are getting to many call for disturbances within the camps and they had to evacuate by friday.
One of the rare, beautiful moments of humanity that came out of the pandemic here was during the initial breakout, when we went into lockdown, the homeless in several cities were relocated into all the empty hotels (on account of no one travelling).

They've kinda gone silent on the transition out of that, but, for a brief while, quite a big chunk of our homeless population got put up in hotels, free of charge of course.

Most often, this virus seems to have caused devastation, distress and intolerance. But there has been the occasional bright light.

One of the rare, beautiful moments of humanity that came out of the pandemic here was during the initial breakout, when we went into lockdown, the homeless in several cities were relocated into all the empty hotels (on account of no one travelling).

They've kinda gone silent on the transition out of that, but, for a brief while, quite a big chunk of our homeless population got put up in hotels, free of charge of course.

Most often, this virus seems to have caused devastation, distress and intolerance. But there has been the occasional bright light.

I have a good friend who works in social housing but is not very well informed as regards mental health issues . Getting homeless people homed for the pandemic seemed like such a victory to me but I think has hardened the hearts of some kind n social housing as the fall out from some ( what I presumed is ) unsupported mental health issues has included arson and antisocial behaviour towards those managing the accommodation.

It’s going to be really pressing I think that homeless and mental health charities make clear in their public awareness campaigns how people react under stress and also that the actions of few are not the actions of all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back