• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

News Worldwide impact of the novel coronavirus (covid-19)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wrote on a piece of paper, I love you.....in bit letters....but I don't think she could read it.....I walked away in tears....
Showing love in the way that is safe? For you, for her, for all the other residents in that facility? Is the best kind of way to show love right now. Even though it hurts.

My nan was only allowed 1 visitor for months, through a closed window. Before that it was Facetime, which she never really understood. They get better at it - set up a proper seat with a table for coffee cups beside it and stuff! Have a phone ready.

My nan, though, grew up through the Great Depression, and lived through a World War. On some level, I think perhaps her generation, of all us, would understand on some foundational level, that there are times when love is demonstrated by the little sacrifices we're prepared to make for our loved ones. I like to tell myself, at least, that if any generation understands that? It's theirs.

The fact that you tried? Is what counts this year. The fact that you respected the safety precautions, despite how much that hurt? Is what counts this year. You copped how painful that experience was because you love her. And that's what counts this year.

JMHO, but I think that's incredible, and generous, and the most loving thing you could possibly do.

Love in the year of Covid looks different, and it's damn hard. But it's still what matters.

Showing love in the way that is safe? For you, for her, for all the other residents in that facility? Is the best kind of way to show love right now. Even though it hurts.

My nan was only allowed 1 visitor for months, through a closed window. Before that it was Facetime, which she never really understood. They get better at it - set up a proper seat with a table for coffee cups beside it and stuff! Have a phone ready.

My nan, though, grew up through the Great Depression, and lived through a World War. On some level, I think perhaps her generation, of all us, would understand on some foundational level, that there are times when love is demonstrated by the little sacrifices we're prepared to make for our loved ones. I like to tell myself, at least, that if any generation understands that? It's theirs.

The fact that you tried? Is what counts this year. The fact that you respected the safety precautions, despite how much that hurt? Is what counts this year. You copped how painful that experience was because you love her. And that's what counts this year.

JMHO, but I think that's incredible, and generous, and the most loving thing you could possibly do.

Love in the year of Covid looks different, and it's damn hard. But it's still what matters.
Thanks so much for your thoughtful reply.....it helps with putting it all in perspective. She is 99 years old and a real trooper....she never expected to go in a nursing home........I remember when she was expecting to die at 79 because all the other woman in the family had died at 79-obviously she was wrong on that count. Hopefully, she'll stay safe and well long enough for the family to be able to see her again.

My 85 year old dad was at the grocery store yesterday during the "elder and disabled " hours and there was a older man there without a mask. Dad asked him why.

His response? "I don't need to wear no damn mask! Those experts don't know what the hell they are doing. I just got back from a conference in North Dakota and there were 200 of us and none of us were wearing the damn things"

Yesterday
The same day that ...
13 million Americans sick
More than 259000 dead

But in North dakota there ain't no need fer masks. Cause this here is 'merica and aint nobody gonna tell us what to do.

Which would have been great if he had stayed there
But he didnt.
He brought it back to the west coast
To my dad's grocery store

When future generations look back on this time can you imagine what they will say about how horrible the people here were? I can't even imagine.

Dad asked him why.
Dad should probably politely keep his distance and thoroughly wash his hands the moment he gets home from now on.

But in North dakota there ain't no need fer masks. Cause this here is 'merica and aint nobody gonna tell us what to do.
It's a tragedy unfolding slowly, day by day.
The statistics are there for those who want them.
Nth Dakota's situation
Took 1 whole google search from the other side of the planet to find that data. It's not like it's a secret.

The distinction @Friday was talking about is still being made - separating out people in hospital with covid from the people who have been hospitalised because of Covid. Brings that latter number down. Slightly.

But either way you look at it, Nth Dakota has less than 1,900 hospital beds across the state. Currently, more 300 of those beds have someone because of this same highly contagious and potentially fatal virus in them.

Hospitals do go on bypass when they run out of beds. Hospitals are going on bypass. When that happens, this virus starts being potentially fatal for anyone needing hospital care.

So, I hope you and your dad stay safe, and well. There's nothing you can do about people that still refuse to help get this thing under control. Just...don't stand in their way...and stay safe.

His response? "I don't need to wear no damn mask!
Have to tell myself that I cannot educate and provide others with insight when it comes to the mask dilemma, I MUST when I’m at work in the clinic. Patients aren’t allowed to enter without masks, I had to argue with two people why wearing a mask is useful because we treat pregnant woman. I have no energy to deal with other people’s obtuseness wearing K95 masks for 10-12 hrs.

It's ironic that it's the Year of the Nurse in 2020. Gosh it's tough on front line workers. Still not enough PPEs? 1700 deaths of health care workers in the U.S.

I am binge watching and listening to David Burns' podcasts and YouTube videos. The ones on the coronavirus are poignant.
There's good notes on what the issues of the participant are, and it gives you some insight on how to work on your own distorted cognitions, (well that's how I am using them) and they have the person's Daily Mood Log before and after the session.

Canada's doing grappling with things as well. They have purchased 7 vaccines.

There's a lot of folks in front of us for the vaccines but gosh I am hanging out to get vaccinated now.

Vietnam is doing well.
''

Has anyone been following this?​

Unexpected detection of SARS-CoV-2 antibodies in the prepandemic period in Italy​

A baby elephant to cheer you all up.

Dad should probably politely keep his distance and thoroughly wash his hands the moment he gets home from now on.

It's a tragedy unfolding slowly, day by day.
The statistics are there for those who want them.
Nth Dakota's situation
Took 1 whole google search from the other side of the planet to find that data. It's not like it's a secret.

The distinction @Friday was talking about is still being made - separating out people in hospital with covid from the people who have been hospitalised because of Covid. Brings that latter number down. Slightly.

But either way you look at it, Nth Dakota has less than 1,900 hospital beds across the state. Currently, more 300 of those beds have someone because of this same highly contagious and potentially fatal virus in them.

Hospitals do go on bypass when they run out of beds. Hospitals are going on bypass. When that happens, this virus starts being potentially fatal for anyone needing hospital care.

So, I hope you and your dad stay safe, and well. There's nothing you can do about people that still refuse to help get this thing under control. Just...don't stand in their way...and stay safe.
They make a phone app that can indicate within 6 feet or so, whether you've been near someone for 30 min. and it will send you a warning. They have the technology to do that which is amazing. Only problem....people who care, wear masks, and who are already vigilant would bother to down load the app.

but our Trump-lite is playing to his base.

but this province's Premier is a complete asshat.
😏
pretty sure we're in the same province.
Or there's 2 wanna be carrot premiers

Wondering if Australia is actually lucky though
i guess if they actually find a vaccine, yeh. if not- i dont think i'd say they're lucky.

In the short term, less infections and death- for sure lucky.
Long term?

What happens when the rest of the world has herd immunity and Australia doesnt?

Is Australia just containing and slowing much more effectively, or completely avoiding?

Not saying, do nothing. And not someone who believes its a plandemic and blah blah conspiracy theories blah blah.

fully agree we need to slow spread to stop healthcare from being overwhelmed, to let people get effective treatment plans, allow for hospitals to be able to keep up and have beds for those who might end up with complications (plus everything else at the same time)

but if in 8months- 2 years the pandemic ends because 80% of the world has herd immunity and Australia is one of the few countries left without......... is that lucky? or will you just end up with your own mini pandemic and be forced to close off while the rest of the world moves on? 🤔
At what cost I wonder?

I dont know. Not an expert, just thinking out loud.
🤞🏻that one of the vaccines is actually effective against a corona type virus for a decent length of time? 🤞🏻

What happens when the rest of the world has herd immunity and Australia doesnt?

but if in 8months- 2 years the pandemic ends because 80% of the world has herd immunity and Australia is one of the few countries left without......... is that lucky? or will you just end up with your own mini pandemic and be forced to close off while the rest of the world moves on? 🤔
At what cost I wonder?

^With respect.

Herd immunity is created when a population is vaccinated. Not exposed to the disease.

Herd immunity is determined by the replication or infection rate of the virus. Eg measles is 15. That means that for each single infection of the measles, 15 infections may be occur. Measles has been around for thousands of years... it's a virus... and the human population has never achieved herd immunity - yet once infected & recovered a person can likely expect to be immune to measles for the rest of their lives. Still, despite this acquisition of immunity, measles was rampant in the world until a vacine was discovered, not that long ago & delivered into the human population.

Now herd immunity in terms of measles can be expected and has happened.

At this stage it appears covid has a replication rate up to 6? So, given that this virus does not appear (at least where I've read) to confer a life long immunity there is even less potential in respect to herd immunity.

Herd immunity via mass public infection is not expected and cannot be relied upon to occur. So, that doesn't leave Australia or the rest of the world better or worse, lucky or unlucky.

Australia isn't lucky - we didn't get lucky. Though I do feel lucky for living here anyhow. 😊

We had the good fortune to live on an island continent & governments both Federal and State with the gumption to shut down borders, force lockdowns, restrict human movement & provide financial assistance in some areas. There has been much push-back from a lot of society here about those restrictions. Not everyone agreed or agrees with them. Still, the majority of people have abided by the laws and as a result there are few infections and lower mortality due to this virus.

Though some parts of Australia appear to have elminated the virus - we'd be beyond foolish to think that is so. Especially as we are repatriating thousands of Australian citizens on a ongoing basis and any single one of them may actually be infected. No system is perfect so there will be further outbreaks. The challenge now is to minimise the potential for seeding those infections back into the community.

Hope for a vaccine is still our only way out of this as far as I can see. 🙏

I have to admit I have some mixed feelings about the vaccine. This...
Link Removed seems to be the current thoughts -- will people come in for the second dose, how do you reach everyone with a vaccine that needs two shots a month apart and... the biggie.. how sick does the vaccine make people. Because they all seem to be in agreement on that - no matter which vaccine company sends it out, they all make people sick. And people who have bad side effects will be less likely to come in for a second shot.

I saw one nurse who said something like --- can we stop talking about adverse side effects (nausea, fever, body pain) and start calling it something like "Your immune system is working, that's why you feel sick, and it's a good thing because it means it's working" Which makes total sense.

I know it needs to be out there to stop the pandemic but as someone with a history of reacting to EVERYTHING I'm really concerned that for me the cure might be worse than the disease. I've had some really bad reactions in the past on vaccines that have been studied for years so getting a shot that has only existed and studied for a few months is downright scary

This is what happened to hundreds of thousands of people in the military who ended up with Gulf War Syndrome when the government rushed the anthrax vaccine and which even the VA recognizes as connected And if you are following my fight with the VA you know how rare it is for them to take responsibility for anything.

And before you ask --I'm not an anti-vaxer. I know vaccines save lives. It's the minimal study behind this one that scares me. Hubby and I have been talking a a lot about the cure being worse than the disease. I know how bad covid is so I know there the vaccine has to happen. But it's damn scary to think that with my history of reactions I'm going to be getting something that will make my current situation even worse to prevent something else.

It's like a catch 22 from hell 😞

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back