• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

News Worldwide impact of the novel coronavirus (covid-19)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me, too, but I think it will be MUCH harder to get people to comply this time around
With the local heatwave EVERY hotel in the region was booked, solid.

Because, air conditioning.

Which my region doesn’t have. As a rule. Even hotels started posting NO Air conditioning on their sites. Because it’s cold and damp here, almost year round.... not only do most homes / apartments / public buildings not have air conditioning... a lot of hotels only have heat. Not cool.

My mom -who’s on vacation back east, where all hotels have air conditioning, bless her heart- booked us a hotel room (no air conditioning, 4 star) and then a second (yes! But “only” 3 star)... but we had her cancel it, them, both. Because hotels? Are skeleton staffed. On central air. Nooooooo I reeeeeeally don’t want to be breathing a few hundred people’s germy air. I just don’t. Yes, we’re vaccinated. No, that vaccine is not 100%. Nor is ANY hotel staffed to the level to CLEAN the surfaces, much less provide clean air. Not with the -cricket cricket- dead market for the past 18mo.

Lovely idea. Pass.

...aaaaaand can almost guarantee? That there will be a spike of infections in 2 weeks. As people avoid death by heat exhaustion now, by risking exposure.

It does sort of blow my little math challenged mind, that my mom’s totally willing to drop several hundred dollars on a hotel bill, rather than pay $7 a month extra on their electricity bill. It. Just. Doesn't. Parse. C’est la vie.

Last edited:
I don't know that it's really possible to get many Americans to mask up again. I think there would be riots...
Oddly most are still wearing masks here. Was like one of those massively delayed things to get compliance but once most had masks, they tend to think this is the safest way still. At work I'd say only 20% aren't wearing a mask. Some are wearing masks while at their desk while talking on the phone and a few are wearing a mask and a face shield. Most places still have the mask requirement things on their door including my job (though they don't 100% require a mask anymore) So, for Orlando, people are still complying with masks. Not sure about if it's months from now when more aren't wearing mask. I'd say once you get most no longer wearing a mask, no one will comply again but maybe the super slow compliance originally was people had to get scared of Covid first and so now that they are then maybe it will be easier another time around.

Don't know if my job will send people home again. Apparently unproductive time (time you are supposed to be on the phone but aren't) sky rocketed and so unless it was a very big health risk like the first time around, don't think they will send us home again. Or, maybe those of us that had great numbers and very little unproductive time, they may send those of us home to reduce the numbers in the center. If Covid gets into the call center again, maybe but unless it's a huge health issue, doubt they will do that again sadly.

I'm actually so excited for when masks don't need to be worn, and won't be wearing one voluntarily when that stops.. But I imagine that won't be any time soon, because I don't really care if it's in a shop or whatever n I'll do that for life if I gotta, it's just *so hot* wearing a mask for 13 hours at work. But work will be the last place to stop masks. I just miss my previously good skin. A hospital with no windows or air con and over ten floors does not make happy under-mask-skin.

I'm actually so excited for when masks don't need to be worn, and won't be wearing one voluntarily when that stops.. But I imagine that won't be any time soon, because I don't really care if it's in a shop or whatever n I'll do that for life if I gotta, it's just *so hot* wearing a mask for 13 hours at work. But work will be the last place to stop masks. I just miss my previously good skin. A hospital with no windows or air con and over ten floors does not make happy under-mask-skin.
Me too as they are so triggering for me as it's something over my mouth. It's like constantly being triggered over and over again!

In Australia New South Wales is experiencing a growing outbreak of the Delta variant. Only a few weeks ago they were virus free. Now there are many hundred new community acquired cases and over ten thousand people isolating due to possible exposure.

There is a shut down of several major areas in the city of Sydney and people are required to stay at home except for specified reasons. I have family there at the moment and they have been working from home for several weeks now.

Almost all other States are virus free or only have repatriated Australians with the virus and are in isolation. Borders to NSW are opening and shutting like a jack in the box.

But the big problem will hit home when school holidays finish in a few days and people begin returning to their home states from New South Wales and potential hot spots. That will likely seed the virus into otherwise virus free zones.

Vaccination hubs, doctors, pharmacies are all coming online to be available to give people the opportunity to get vaccinated. I hope they get it organised soon.

I’m increasingly concerned that all the vaccines EXCEPT moderna have published their effectiveness (mostly in the 60-85 range) against the delta variant.

Moderna? Results are “promising”, or the other vaccine results are “encouraging” that Moderna will also be effective , and blah blah blah ALL vaccines “offer a greatly improved”... are you effing kidding me? 1% effective is over 100% “greater” than zero.

>.<

The corporate double speak & spin & pivoting just has me suspecting that their results have come in... and they’re bad.

Last edited:
People where I live seem to be extremely mask-less. I guess masks don’t matter much considering it isn’t even safe to drive on the highway. Road rage is out of control and a kid was shot and killed a few days ago on the drive back from a baseball game. Our friend is in the hospital due to a road rage altercation. Violence in homes, Restraunts and bars is out of control. I’m wondering if covid or vaccines are connected to the violence. Maybe people who have been cooped up have forgotten how to interact with people?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back