• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

News Worldwide impact of the novel coronavirus (covid-19)

Status
Not open for further replies.
But she’s scared by the vaccine.

But she’s intimidated by the tonality and the facade of science. It’s true it’s somewhat intimidating because of the lingo. So I guess than in some sense we failed to make that more accessible.

^I had relatives and friends who related their fears and worries based on all of what you have described and more. Sure there can be a million unknowns with the vaccines and nobody I know is going to say that we have all of the answers yet.

Perhaps because we are vaccinating literally millions of people world-wide, scientists are seeing the rare and any other side-effects faster. And they are being reported and disseminated quickly and sometimes without much thought in the media. I don't need to read science papers though I do like to get my head around a few things but I don't need to know the science to make a decision on this.

I asked my relatives and friends to consider only one thing. Will you survive Covid19? If it is not likely then save yourself and your family a whole world of grief and have the vaccine.

The rest is unwanted and unneeded speculation because Covid19 will not respect your healthy young body or your beliefs.

Nobody I know has refused to get vaccinated after considering this one single thing.

So now all of Victoria, South Australia and most of New South Wales are in lockdown. Without permits we cannot enter and it's different permits for different States and for different reasons. So getting a permit is difficult so I am not going to bother. It is unknown how long New South Wales will stay in lockdown but it will be till the end of July and now there's a bit of scaremongering in the press that lockdown may stay till September.

Delta is proving to have such a fast replication rate that people are shedding the virus hours after contact with it.

Australia is managing around one million vaccinations per week and with further deliveries of vaccines there is hope this can be increased.

Vaccination is voluntary in Australia but I wonder if that will remain the case. Certainly people who care for vulnerable people who cannot receive the vaccination or who have immune system issues, are being encouraged to get the vaccine so they have less chance of carrying the infection to them.

So now all of Victoria, South Australia and most of New South Wales are in lockdown.
This is frightening to me. I don't want another round of Covid but there it is. I wear my mask everywhere. I get my second round of vaccine on August 1st, then the 14th I should be immune. I'm still going to wear a mask. I got some heavy side effects from the first vaccine - it felt like I had the flu - so I'm preparing for the 2nd with lots of liquids, soup, Tylenol and books if I can stay awake long enough to read.

I've finally come to terms with all the angry folks here who don't believe in the virus. I don't think about them anymore. I protect myself and let them live on. I hope we all stay well here on MyPTSD.

I am in the same boat @DharmaGirl and I will be receiving my second vaccine injection in a few weeks. Take care and I hope your second dose goes well.

There are many people in hospital or at home with the disease here in Australia and the trend is upwards in most places at the moment unfortunately. However thus far only three states have had to shut down to control the outbreak. The rest of Australia is operating relatively normally and do not have any restrictions apart from not being able to travel to the Eastern seaboard states.

There may be a slight dent in the upwards trajectory with infections but that may be not be significant and just hopeful thinking on my behalf. Certainly we do not have thousands of people in hospital requiring medical support so there are some aspects of our current situation that we must be grateful for.

The good news is that nobody who has had both doses of the vaccine is in intensive care. And only a very, very low number of people who have had their first dose have caught the disease and even less are in hospital requiring support. The rest of the known cases are unvaccinated people.

Being unvaccinated here in Australia is not entirely the fault of the person at this time because the authorities in charge of getting the vaccine out to most people have not dealt with the logistics well. There has been a shortage of vaccines, places and people who can administer it and have been slow to establish. Only now are the authorities receiving enough vaccine to push the vaccination rate up and meaningfully and sustain that level.

As well there was a big media beat up over the Astra Z vaccine regarding an auto immune clotting disorder that 1/50,000 people may experience following administration of the vaccine. As a result there was a general reluctance by the population who could have got it, to get it, opting to wait instead for another brand and type. And to be honest, Australia was incredibly lucky with being able to shut international borders so we as a population were protected from the virus simply by that.

Unfortunately out repatriation program to bring back Australians from overseas brought back Delta too and it has exploited the fact that our population was mostly unvaccinated.

Now that Delta has shut down three entire States and put millions of people into isolation and quarantine, the population is now herding back towards the Astra vaccine. Many people are regretting the missed opportunity they were given to take the Astra and be done with it.

Also, finally, now the media seem to be sending out a more balanced view of the side effects for Astra. Medical authorities know how to treat the rare side-effect very efficiently and even the diagnosis is easy (blood test). The symptoms are quite clear and easy to recognise too so maybe all of these factors will help. Denmark has banned Astra but obviously they must have access to an alternative vaccine at the numbers they require.

I have had Astra and it also made me feel very off for about two and half days but even though I didn't like that and don't want it again, I'd much rather have that relatively mild reaction from the vaccine than get the disease.

I worry about my family members who have not become eligible due to their age group to receive the vaccine. I think I would happily give up my second dose and wait longer just so they may receive it but I don't have the ability to manipulate the system like that. I just have to trust the authorities to amp up their efforts and keep going with the vaccination roll out.

There are a number of new vaccines that are coming up for approval and should, all going well, be available later this year.

@Friday, never mind. I realized I belong to National Geographic and I will go back and read it again. I'm sure you have more to do than drag out crayolas and posterboard for the 'slow to get it' crowd.
This thread is mean-spirited. We are supposed to be a fellowship here. I had the virus, I am not getting the vaccine, and my entire family has shunned me. They will not be in the same room as me. You want to talk about a super trigger? I come here for support from people who do not JUDGE each other. MODERATOR should get on this crap. All your name-calling and condescension and talking about adults using crayons put you all in the same category as the people who caused your PTSD. FOR SHAME

I come here for support from people who do not JUDGE each other
why do you feel entitlted that you should be free from judgment for your actions? based on what? no one is free from judgment.

first
of all ladee wasn't even speaking to you. but second of all, even if she were-which she wasn't-why do you think it's okay not to get vaccenated.

but some how ladee should be censured just for speaking to someone (other than you? in a self deprecating manner to boot?)

telling us that we're the same as the people who caused our ptsd is a ridiculous comment. but it's even more ridiculous that you say this in the same breath as you say we're being mean spirited.

listen, only one of the people in this exchange are putting someone else at risk, physically, and it's not ladee. please take several seats.

This thread is mean-spirited. We are supposed to be a fellowship here. I had the virus, I am not getting the vaccine, and my entire family has shunned me. They will not be in the same room as me. You want to talk about a super trigger? I come here for support from people who do not JUDGE each other. MODERATOR should get on this crap. All your name-calling and condescension and talking about adults using crayons put you all in the same category as the people who caused your PTSD. FOR SHAME
First off… that @ladee and I were practically hanging off of each other whooping it up & laughing 😆🤣 😍🥰 about both of our brains not working at the same durn time? IS supportive. For us. The two people actually involved in that exchange. Who have known each other for years. And who understand both the sense of humor & sentiment involved.

If you’d simply walked into that exchange declaring that how we were supporting each other is not how YOU wish to be supported? It would have been nonsequitur at best, but instead? You decided to lash out at us, attempting to bully and shame 2 people you know nothing about, for not doing things the way you want them done. Meaning the only Judgemental & Mean-spirited thing I’ve read about this exchange is what YOU just attempted to do.

Secondly… it is NOT our, or anyone else’s, responsibility to manage YOUR triggers and stressors. Personal accountability is not only a thing, it’s in the durn Community Constitution. Which I suggest you familiarize yourself with before attempting to bitchslap members &/or shout down from your high horse about how mods “should” behave. Which leads us to?

Lastly… All mods are members FIRST, and we post/reply as such. If you have a problem with how a mod is posting? You are more than welcome to report that post, or use Contact Us and take it up with Admin. We’re people. With PTSD. We’re not always right, or in the right, and have bad days just like everyone else. Being invited to take any member’s behavior, including a mod, up with staff is not a blow off… but the best way to reach out for assistance. To see how a mod posts, when they’re posting in Staff capacity, rather than as a member? See Below.

MODERATOR NOTE : Let’s get this thread back on topic, please, people! 😁

- Anyone who would like to continue the always interesting discussion about what different kinds of support looks like for different people; triggers, stressors, & lashing out; or any other topic that’s come up in this threadjack… PLEASE START A NEW THREAD. They’re interesting and valuable topics, but they are not this topic: Worldwide Impact Of Cov19.

- Anyone who takes issue with my -or anyone else’s- behavior in this thread, or any other, is (as always!) both welcome & encouraged to report it, to let staff handle it, or to have a discussion with staff about it by using Contact Us

Ta, muchly!
We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

I worry about my family members who have not become eligible due to their age group to receive the vaccine.

I just have to trust the authorities to amp up their efforts and keep going with the vaccination roll out.

The universe is helping me out! My family who are as yet not eligible for one brand of vaccine, due to age restrictions, (too young) have opted to go with AZ. And they can get that!

I am relieved because they live in Sydney which is staggering under lockdowns and hundreds of people being infectious whilst out in the community. It's getting really bad there relatively speaking - I mean not in comparison to other countries for sure, but still bad.

Family consulted their physician who advised them the risk of becoming infected with covid is very high v the risk of the immune clotting adverse effect. My family texted me this evening with their decision and are booked in. They know the indications relating to the clotting disorder so will be on the look-out. O am almost tearing up with relief.

Some epidemiologists predict that Sydney, Greater Sydney and maybe even the entire state of New South Wales will continue to be in lock-down or declared hot zones for months. The Delta strain is moving so fast.

There's a lot of politicking and hyperbole going on about lockdown strategies and why didn't they do things differently. But I wish that commentary would stop, it creates confusion and is destructive on a population that is already very much fatigued.

In respect to fatigue - has anyone else heard about the mental fatigue that is spreading throughout the worlds populations due to covid? The inability to make decisions, the inability to plan, the lack of certainty, the disruption to domestic, national and international supply chains. Apparently they are all accumulating in our brains and wearing us down. I feel like this too and routinely must step back, not listen to media and practice calming my racing ptsd brain. Anyone else doing things to help with the anxiety that covid is creating?

Anyone else doing things to help with the anxiety that covid is creating?
I regulate media relating to Covid and search for what I want to know. I'm feeling a lot less stressed now that I'm partially vaccinated. I always wear a mask when I'm off the property. This helps somewhat. I'm having problems with my diabetes so I'm sleepy all the time. I can't figure out what's Covid related or diabetes related.

Same here, I have to limit my exposure to the news. I stopped watching it on TV, just check out the newspaper and cherry pick what info I read, and often stick to headlines only when it's all too much..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back