Writing PSTD in a character, help

• Thread starter curiouscreature
  • Start date
write about what you know.
While I understand why this is being suggested here, it's *extremely* limiting to tell a writer to write *just* what they know. If we did that, there would be NO fantasy, very little fiction, and the writers who have researched and really tried to understand another viewpoint or opinion would be silenced. Not sure that is the way we grow, as people or a society.

I've been thinking about this, and it also allows presentation of an issue or illness or struggle to only be one-sided. If only people with PTSD or their supporters wrote about it, can you imagine the distorted views and the biases? I think we have to be *very* careful when writing about something unfamiliar or when creating characters with challenges not similar to our own, but I think it can be done with extensive research and someone familiar with whatever challenge it is following behind and verifying that it rings true at least to their experience.

extensive research and someone familiar with whatever challenge it is following behind and verifying that it rings true at least to their experience.
Agree with you @whiteraven. Well said. I have a friend who is a writer and he takes classes and has won awards and in one of his classes one of their assignments was to specifically write from the perspective of someone completely unlike them. He researched with TED talks and then the only verification he had was reading it in front of his class.

Charles Dickens wrote in Bleak House from the perspective of a young maiden. I suppose his journalistic career was his research? Also he was just inhumanly good at writing though.

I didn’t read Fridays references but perhaps a delicate way to approach would be to have already done lots of research (Ted talks, reading public diaries, reading published work) and already attempted to write something and then asking if anyone would like to read it and give feedback? Although again I agree with whiteraven that asking active sufferers and supporters for feedback would be asking for loaded bias.

Back