• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Acts Of Kindness

• Thread starter Deleted member 33052
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
@ladee, I think about the time you were counting out your pennies at the till and the guy behind you was getting annoyed. That makes me wonder why he didn't think to make a joke, or crack a smile, or show you in some way that everything was good. I mean, he was stuck in that line anyway, what's the point of making someone else feel bad? It's different if the cashier and customer are chatting it up for 15 minutes in front of you. But people like this, I don't understand.

Yes, I and this ate out recently and this guy was sitting at table next to me and he'd written a bad food (noise) review on the card on table, and I said please don't hurt the woman who's most assuredly going to read this card for she tries so hard, and his complaint was not something that was rational and was insolent and cruel and he said he was having a bad day. He tore it up right there, and then he smiled at me. Hmmm. Hope this fits here for so wanted to share.

When we feel so consumed with our own pain, doing acts of kindness for others can give us perspective and keep us engaged with the world. It distracts me from my own pain and reminds me I'm part of humanity, and my suffering is also part of the human condition; there are a lot of people suffering. It also makes me feel powerful, and good, an antidote to feeling weak and small and somehow defective and broken. It goes to what @ladee said, about it being a measure of our own progress and healing.

Good thread, @Mal Content!

^^^ So true ... in some ways, acts of kindness are a selfish act on my part because I get so m...
I've recently started this ritual (habit) and yes I guess it's as @Lola Nocheprieta says 'cuz I get so much out of this thing I've started doing and that is: I pass someone and I smile and they smile back (some) and I say thank you, and they smile (some) bigger! I love doin' this.

acts of art kindness, aka guerrilla arting. That is, leaving small pieces of inspirational art around in public places, addressed to "You. Yes, you!"
Lola, did you get this idea from Emma Watson leaving books all around on the nyc subway? Or is this now a thing? I haven't heard of it anywhere else.
Either way I think it's a lovely idea, whatever types of art you might be working with.

random acts of art kindness, aka guerrilla arting.

You might like geocaching.

If you haven't heard of it, it's essentially a worldwide treasure hunt. You get the coordinates online and find a token, leave a token. We used to do a lot of it (usually the easier / mostly family friendly ones, although a few serious adventure ones...as we were already backcountry, & leaving treasures for people to find was just plain fun) whilst homeschooling. I usually left something Raku & a lighter.

Geocaching

Was leaving a store yesterday, and a woman is coming down the sidewalk with a double stroller with two little ones, not twins, but very very close together... She looked so frazzled... poor thing, but the babies looked happy and content... I held the door for her to get that huge stroller thru the door... it was a side by side.... she got it thru and even smiled... and said, 'not bad for a trial run'..... I asked her if I could hug her... the look on her face broke my heart.... she said yes, Please... I did, and she held on for a few seconds...she had tears in her eyes, and so did I. . made my day.... helping others puts our own life into perspective.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back