Ask a foreigner

Americans - wtf is fireball?? Is it just whisky with cinnamon in it because it sounds revolting but I keep being told it’s good???

That’s pretty much exactly it, and yes it is pretty revolting- at first. It hits pretty hard pretty fast. To me, it tastes better the colder it is, and I love mixing my drinks so pairing it with apple juice would be delicious.

That’s pretty much exactly it, and yes it is pretty revolting- at first. It hits pretty hard pretty fast. To me, it tastes better the colder it is, and I love mixing my drinks so pairing it with apple juice would be delicious.
Thanks for the tip! I shall gather some of my adventurous drinking pals and give it a whirl 😁

Americans - wtf is fireball?? Is it just whisky with cinnamon in it because it sounds revolting but I keep being told it’s good???
It’s good if you’re 16 years old, and only have $10 to spend on “the good stuff”.

Similar to “mudslide” (alcoholic melted chocolate milkshake), and other “I’m not even going to ask for your ID if you’re buying this, I’m going to ask why you aren’t in school, today!” cheap, candy flavored, gateway drinks.

Do you have the incredibly spicy cinnamon candies (chewy or hard), in your neck of the woods? Melt them into a liquid & spike with booze, and you’ve got fireball.

oh ya - mix fireball with warm apple cider - yummy!!!!! 😄
LMFAO. 🤣 Okay. I CAN see it as a mixer.

I add cayenne & cinnamon to hot chocolate I’ve spiked with whiskey… a shot of fireball would be less work. But possibly more hangover?

It’s good if you’re 16 years old, and only have $10 to spend on “the good stuff”.
Hahaha in my head I’m 16, I’m wayyyy too old to be staying out till the sun comes up but a girls got to do what a girls got to do - thankfully I have a super fun group of pals who are down for any sort of nonsense we can dream up!

Ahhhh that used to be me when I was like 14/15, drinking cactus jacks - was too broke even for sourz, which was absolutely revolting but did the job!

I’m not sure if we do, but given I’m not a spice fan I may be unreliable on that! I’m very taken with Freidas suggestion, so I will keep my eyes peeled 👀

@Rose White I used to translate bad English into good English (for scripts) as a sideline.

My 2 personal favorites (AKA stumped me for DAYS, the bicycle one I finally had to find a native Mail speaker to parse, both of which I now use in my common vernacular because they were sooooo vexing they “stuck”)

- Bicycle Chicken (in Mail means = “tough” like if a chicken was riding a bicycle so it got all stringy, instead of plump & juicy). Oh, that’s tough. Oh, that’s bicycle chicken.

- Crap You Along (Balkans/German) AKA Piss Off.

@Rose White … whoops! Sorry, with the edit my post makes no sense.

Granted… Crap you along & bicycle chicken ALSO makes no sense… in English. 😉

So we might be working on a theme. 😎

((I have a tramp stamp tattoo in similar territory. It’s pure gibberish in Japanese, but then translated into the King’s English make total sense, as well as translated back into Japanese. (Free Spirit -aka- doing what is right, no matter what; & Honor). I did that on purpose, which cracks most Japanese people I’ve met who’ve seen it up, all nervously asking “what” I think my tattoo says only to double over laughing as I explain the joke, but confuses most Americans. Lost in translation? // Doubled down in translation? Is almost always fun. ))

Last edited:
Back